Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phone calls- Scam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

I doubt it, could be wrong though. I think these guys are just ringing landlines because they have access to the numbers. Could be something else though. Could a call to your mobile provider do anything for ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

rebel10 wrote: »
    I doubt it, could be wrong though. I think these guys are just ringing landlines because they have access to the numbers. Could be something else though. Could a call to your mobile provider do anything for ya?

Yes maybe i will get in contact with mobile provider if problem persists. Hasn't happened for 2 or 3 days now though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Was called about this too, the man calling sounded African.

I had him going for ages,asking him quite a few questions about where he got my number and how did he get the house number if my partner didn't have that number when he bought the laptop etc. He couldn't answer any of my questions and did alot of umming and aghring but he did say that 'next generation gave me your phone number'..

I then hung up on him and he tried calling back but didn't answer

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

leahyl wrote: »
    I keep getting a call on my mobile from a blocked number about twice or three times a day. I don't like answering when i don't know the number but like there isn't even a number here cos it's blocked.

I figure if it was someone i know then they'd leave a voicemail but nothing. it's getting kind of annoying now. Maybe it's the same people ye speak of....damn annoying though:mad:

you could just answer and if it is one of the scammers, ask them to call you on your land line and just give them the phone number for the local garda station....:D

i think its usually the landline the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

There is another scam where they call you give you a missed call. I was too quick in answering two days ago when they first tried calling me (I had my phone in my hand at the time) and they hung up almost instantly when I said "Hello?" and I ignored it the 2nd time.

This Scam is different!

This scam is about getting you to call back the missed call (the number is not blocked). The number I got, both times, was 0016566801. A quick google search confirmed my suspicions that it was one of the numbers from the scam whereby you call them back at what is an extremely premium rate. The number is different enough for you to notice it's an odd number, but only if you actually look at it and are clued in - ie not going "Oh, I missed a call... *hit button to call them back*..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I just got the call from 0016566801 - Google brought me here. Gotta love boards :-D

I managed to answer it, but was just met with silence.
    Thought it was a Dublin number and I was about to ring it back until I noticed the double 0 at the beginning of the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

What with the PSN being uber hacked id expect anyone with a PS3 to start getting alot of scams directed at them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i love getting calls from these guys.. kept one on the phone for 15min this morn.. he got fed up and hung up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    I just got the call from 0016566801 - Google brought me here. Gotta love boards :-D

Thought it was a Dublin number and I was about to ring it back until I noticed the double 0 at the beginning of the number.

Aren't these hang-up calls caused by the fact the call centre automatically calls a few numbers at once and transfers whoever is first to answer to the "salesman" and hangs up on everyone else after a few seconds?

Never thought that is was to do with getting people to call back. But maybe that is just me...I would never even think about calling back a missed call if I didn't recognise the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I keep getting a call on my mobile from a blocked number about twice or three times a day. I don't like answering when i don't know the number but like there isn't even a number here cos it's blocked.

I figure if it was someone i know then they'd leave a voicemail but nothing. it's getting kind of annoying now. Maybe it's the same people ye speak of....damn annoying though:mad:

Hiya...Just wondering..

Do you have Sky tv? Or did you have it before?

Sky are a pain in the arse for ringing people to offer promotions etc..My Wife gets calls like that,,and always from a Private Number. If you don't answer,they persist for days and days.

Hope this helps..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

Pimp Ninja wrote: »

just missed a call from this number too... thought it was work ringing me.... saw the 00 and googled it!

brought me straight here too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Cork guitarist

One rang my mother, who wouldn't know a computer if she saw one, I was there and took the call. Again, a foreign accent on a bad line, I think this is to make it hard for them to be recorded and identified.
    I think the best thing to do is to waste their time, If you can't talk to them, don't hang up, just tell them to hang on a sec and then go away, let them eventually realise you're not coming back. But you can have a good laugh too, asking silly and unrelated questions until they cop on.:eek:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Caller ID on our end was 000011. Weird.

Got the phone call last week - caller ID came up 012345678 :rolleyes:

Half annoyed now that I didn't keep them on the line and waste their time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Got the phone call last week - caller ID came up 012345678 :rolleyes:

Half annoyed now that I didn't keep them on the line and waste their time

Ahh Jaesus,,RebelGirl....What were ya thinkin' ?

If you had caught them there,they may have packed it all up and retired.. ;)

Damn it anyway..

Maybe next time...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

rebel10 wrote: »
    My mother got a phone call yesterday on the home phone. The man on the phone had a foreign accent. She thought perhaps an Indian accent.

Anyway, he went on to say that her internet security had expired or
    something. She told him she knew nothing about this kind of thing, but he persisted to ask her to turn on her computer. She told him that he would be better off waiting to speak to me after I came home from work, he told her he would be out of the office, but asked if he could ring before I went to work the next day! 7 a.m.! She told him that wouldn't be possible, so he said he would try again later.

Anyone get a phone call like this. My aunt was telling me that something was on the radio about scams, perhaps like this, happening in the Cork area, through phone calls. Anyone experience something similar, or do you know what it was about/common practice? Thanks
    My brother got a call along the same lines the other day and started to speak Irish down the phone which had the Indian chap all up in a heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

+00253820308. On My Caller ID. Called from Djibouti . It is a bit tiresome dealing with these hassoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

That'd be a bank/credit card/collection agency.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

My boyfriend got a private number call about four times today.
    Answered the last time and was told by an indian sounding woman it was three and that he had to give his credit card details and bank details (even though supposedly they should have these) and they said the payment was late, even though it was gone in the day it was due.....Did anyone else get this, is it a scam?

My boyfriend got a private number call about four times today.
    Answered the last time and was told by an indian sounding woman it was three and that he had to give his credit card details and bank details (even though supposedly they should have these) and they said the payment was late, even though it was gone in the day it was due.....Did anyone else get this, is it a scam?

Rings alarm bells with me tbh, the fact that they looked for his credit card details and bank details despite the fact it had gone in, I hope he didn't give them any details!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

Rings alarm bells with me tbh, the fact that they looked for his credit card details and bank details despite the fact it had gone in, I hope he didn't give them any details!

Nope he didn't, sounded fishy to us aswell as any time Three rings, they give their number, and also they told him to call back but when he asked to what number there was no reply.... I posted in the Three forum hopefully they will have some insight.

At last i got one of them calls to my house phone but i won't be getting another as i blew a whistle down the phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Show Time wrote: »
    At last i got one of them calls to my house phone but i won't be getting another as i blew a whistle down the phone line.

See my earlier post in the thread, whistles don't really work.

See my earlier post in the thread, whistles don't really work.
    Pity i was hoping to bust his eardrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Curiosity guys, do you have an Eircom phone line and account?
    I had this call as well; Being a software engineer, you could imagine how much I drove the guy around the bushes :)

After talking about it in the office, we discovered that all of the people getting the calls had an Eircom landline...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I had this call as well; Being a software engineer, you could imagine how much I drove the guy around the bushes :)

After talking about it in the office, we discovered that all of the people getting the calls had an Eircom landline...

Scarily enough, I also have an Eircome landline! On to my 4th call at this stage, I feel like they are part of the family now, when they call im like "Is this you Parjeet, how are things!":D

H3llR4iser wrote: »

Nope, we're not with Eircom, have not been for quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I haven't been with Eircom for several years and have never received one of these scam calls on my home phone.

I happened to be in my mother's house last week when I answered her (Eircom) landline. It was one of these scam calls from Asia with a lady speaking in poor English. She began to talk about my (mother's) computer - only problem is that she doesn't have a computer and she doesn't have broadband. I told her, as I laughed into the phone, to 'Cop yourself on girl. Do you think Irish people are fools? Everybody knows about your scam at this stage....' At that point I hung up and she didn't ring back.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

i got this scam a few months ago, and when they asked for my husband by name i told them i would get him, after a minute, i picked up the phone and meowed in a deep voice for about a minute until they hung up. funnily enough , they havent rung back. :D

by the way, we are Vodafone landline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Still getting a lot of these phone calls to the mothers house, I've taken a good few of the calls

Posting this so it shows up on google as these numbers seem to be used fairly commonly but only a few show up on whocallsme.com

0044 5593869701 - obviously a uk number, still Indian but sounded a lot clearer then normal, same bull though

0044 7624100000

0016566801 - appears to be a reverse call scam, they hang up after a second hoping you'll phone back and be connected to a premium number

At first it was funny stringing them along, or asking why they wanted to know about our double glazed windows

Now I either leave the phone where I can't hear them, or take it into the kitchen and put the phone into a pot and close the lid

They don't seem to be prepared if you tell them you've an apple laptop :)

Advertisement