Hanging crows? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-05-2011, 19:08   #1
Hunter21

Hanging crows?

Got permission of a local farmer yesterday to shoot crows that are picking at newly seeded fields, in return he's leaving me shoot game on the lands
As ye all know a person cant be on the land 24/7 to keep the crows off but what Im wondering is hanging dead crows in the field effective and dont laugh at this question- is it legal? reason I ask is it legal is because some folk would class it aas in-hummane, disgracefull etc etc
I suggested a crow banger but he only wants that as a last resort.
Advertisement
02-05-2011, 19:16   #2
dev110
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter21 View Post
Got permission of a local farmer yesterday to shoot crows that are picking at newly seeded fields, in return he's leaving me shoot game on the lands
As ye all know a person cant be on the land 24/7 to keep the crows off but what Im wondering is hanging dead crows in the field effective and dont laugh at this question- is it legal? reason I ask is it legal is because some folk would class it aas in-hummane, disgracefull etc etc
I never heard anything about it being illegal tbh.

Yes hanging a crow upside down will prevent crows picking. My grandparents did it with their garden and never had any problems after the crow was hung.
02-05-2011, 19:20   #3
Dusty87
Closed Account

It wil work for a certain amount of time is all. They're not stupid and wil cop on quickly, much the same as with a crow banger.
(2) thanks from:
02-05-2011, 19:53   #4
jap gt

waste of time in my opinion, they wont take much notice of a dead crow hanging in a field, even in sheds they will stay away for a few days and then take no notice, keep shooting them is the best option, maybe a few ladder traps aswell
Thanks from:
02-05-2011, 20:01   #5
johngalway
Closed Account

Not sure about crows, but I left out a shot greycrow and his mates started eating/playing with him.

Bangers, the best and fastest way to turn neighbours into enemies
Advertisement
02-05-2011, 20:37   #6
mac80
Closed Account

I think I remember a local farmer getting a visit from some sort of official or Wildlife officer warning him not to hang dead crows up.
Can think why they visited him but I remember thinking he had little to be at annoying the farmer

I think a neighbour complained or something so it MAY be illegal
02-05-2011, 20:47   #7
fodda

In days of old a gamekeeper would hang his work up from trees and on fences as proof he is doing his work to his employer.

Could this be what you may be refering to? I doubt the crows would take any notice.
02-05-2011, 21:05   #8
Dusty87
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fodda View Post
In days of old a gamekeeper would hang his work up from trees and on fences as proof he is doing his work to his employer.

Could this be what you may be refering to? I doubt the crows would take any notice.
no fodda, its not from days of old. it is stil done by some farmers with crops. It works to a certain extent but not for long. It wil keep crows off the area the crow is hung for a while, but the rest of the field is fair game. Then they cop on, much like a crow banger, and it wil not bother them.
02-05-2011, 21:18   #9
ormondprop

as said already it will work for a while, we do it from time to time in the slatted shed to stop crows coming in eating meal and sh*tting on the silage, but they cop on quick
Advertisement
02-05-2011, 21:52   #10
virminhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter21 View Post
the trick is to tie his wings up before you hang him otherwise he'll just fly when you kick the stool out from underneath him
03-05-2011, 19:38   #11
mariebeth

Send a message via MSN to mariebeth Send a message via Yahoo to mariebeth
I don't know if it's legal or illegal, but my dad used to hang dead crows before when we had sheep. It worked to keep them away from the sheep for the most part.
03-05-2011, 22:48   #12
Hunter21

Thanks for your opinions.
As I said already I cant be there all the time so this is surely worth a try
03-05-2011, 23:23   #13
crackcrack30

seen it...

Ya it works to a limit, may have someting to do with the visual distress aspect or the distress calls from the live birds,........Aah (staring into space) many moons ago neighbour (corn) used to do it with poison and bangers and distress caller and me (with free ammo),, often remember seeing just the legs on the fence in the morning indicating foxy was around.
My Cousin (a mad cxxt) used to sneek down the field in the long evenings and give the crows bread and water, I could never figure out was he being sadistic or kind, used to laugh at the farmer wondering how some crows would live longer than others.........Aha memories -Tanx.
05-05-2011, 02:32   #14
Hondata92

This thread is about hanging dead crows

Last edited by Vegeta; 05-05-2011 at 09:58. Reason: removing quoted post
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size