Back to Basics... - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-04-2011, 22:16   #46
claralara
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazkea View Post
Oh you didn't just do that me - going to have to go google that one now . If I'm doing some, then so are you missy
You're on!
Advertisement
07-04-2011, 14:14   #47
shazkea
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by claralara View Post
You're on!
Crap...that didn't go to plan!! You're supposed to put up a big fight and say you'd be knackered after Conn etc...
07-04-2011, 14:36   #48
shazkea
Closed Account

Goals...

So my return from injury has been a bit aimless so time to settle on some goals to focus me. So my main goal is to break 2 hours for the half so I consulted my good old friend McMillan and he gave me the following times to aim for if I want to break that sub 2.

Distance Time Current PB
5km 25:45 27:58 (Mar 2011)
8km42:26 none
5 Miles 42:40 50:58 (Jan 2010)
10km53:29 55:32 (June 2010)
10 Miles1:29:36none
Half Marathon 1:59:00 2:07:59 (Jan 2011)

Currently getting back up to a solid base mileage and plan on doing GIR on Sun and the Kildare Half in May. I'm using these as training runs and to make sure I am starting from a decent mileage.
I'll try to kick off PB attempts in June and use alot of the Race Series to get these.

Bit of work to be done here but it's always good to have something to aim for otherwise I'll become a lazy ass and skip half my runs!!

Also note no mention of a marathon attempt (this year anyway)!!

Last edited by shazkea; 07-04-2011 at 14:39.
07-04-2011, 14:51   #49
jcsmum

Shaz, you've had a lot to contend with over the last year with injury and missing DCM and Barcelona - your training has been badly hampered.
If you can get a clear run (pardon the pun) with your training, you'd be well on target for a sub 2hr half.
Thanks from:
07-04-2011, 20:10   #50
shazkea
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsmum View Post
Shaz, you've had a lot to contend with over the last year with injury and missing DCM and Barcelona - your training has been badly hampered.
If you can get a clear run (pardon the pun) with your training, you'd be well on target for a sub 2hr half.
Thanks, very true point. Hopefully you're right and I'll be celebrating a sub 2hr in Ryans after!
Advertisement
07-04-2011, 20:17   #51
shazkea
Closed Account

Thur April 7th

I planned a nice easy 4 miles at 10:30 min/mile pace. I haven't been using the watch to pace myself lately so thought I might start again this eve to try and stick to a planned pace. Yeah right, like that worked...not one mile was at the target 10:30 pace .

Still it was a gorgeous eve if not a bit warm at 17 degrees and a nice relaxed run. Bloody flies and midgets have made their comeback too...protein intake increased!

Distance: 4.21
Time: 41:01
Avg Pace: 09:45
07-04-2011, 21:01   #52
brownian

Quote:
...not one mile was at the target pace ....
Guess it's not just me so. There's a lot to be said for just running by the feel of it, IMHO. Watching the clock is a pain in the neck and shoulder while you're doing it, and no sooner do you look away than the pace is up or down or sideways....
(2) thanks from:
08-04-2011, 08:45   #53
claralara
Closed Account

Quote:
Crap...that didn't go to plan!! You're supposed to put up a big fight and say you'd be knackered after Conn etc...
My sister gave me a card the other day and guess what fell out…a present of entry to 3 of them… On your bike!!
(2) thanks from:
10-04-2011, 17:53   #54
shazkea
Closed Account

GIR April 10th

Good god this race was a shocker for me. Just as well this was not a target race or I would not have been fun to be around after!

So we arrived at about 12:30 thinking this is perfect, drop the bags and mooch around for a bit before the start (@13:10) in the sunshine. I crossed the start line at 13:42 according to mr garmin and it was not fun to be standing around in that heat for the delayed start (22 degrees according to my car!|). Also since I’m on a rant what the hell was the point of the starting colours?? I was in the white pen and surrounded by green and reds with people starting to walk before the 1km...wtf .

Right back to the race, no pace in mind as I had no target time but idea was just to keep it comfortable. First 5km were ok, warm but bearable (apart from dodging the walkers) and settled into a nice rhythm. Then we hit the hills and the wheels came flying off. The hills just zapped me of all my energy. I jogged the first one up to s-bends huffing and puffing and managed to recover ok-ish by St Marys and then the next one hit. A couple of people were puking by the side of the road at this stage and this just broke me. I hate watching people getting sick coz then I want to puke . All form went out the window as I struggled on and 7 – 9 kms were just awful.

I have not felt that bad on a run (race or training) in a long time and even thought about walking the rest of it. I stopped for a few seconds before I gave myself a good HTFU speech and got going again albeit slowly. Then I realised that if I kept going like this I would struggle even to make it under the 60 min mark and there was no way I was going to let that happen even if my stupid foot was starting to give out. Very nice of it to remind me of its presence on the last km of a crap run . Finally made it across the line under the 60 mins...just about but that was rough going.

I know I’m still on the comeback trail so I can’t be too harsh on myself. It is time to start cranking up the quality of my training though and this was a good motivator. Anyway stats...
Distance: 6.33 miles
Time: 59:44
Avg Pace: 09:27

What’s the story with the crappy t-shirt??
Advertisement
10-04-2011, 18:04   #55
Nules10

Quote:
people starting to walk before the 1km...wtf .
This really annoyed me too. Also nearly came to a standstill at the roundabout...
You did great getting under the hour well done. It sure was tough going.
Thanks from:
11-04-2011, 09:07   #56
RubyK

Sounds like it was a tough one shaz, but you did brill to get in under the hour
Thanks from:
11-04-2011, 09:52   #57
jcsmum

Definitely a tough race for a PB or any kind of time goal. It's always so conjested!
Not sure how anyone ran in the heat yesterday.
Chalk it up to experience and no doubt it will stand to you that you kept going and that you didnt' give up. Getting in under the hour in those conditions and for somebody just back from injury is great going.
Thanks from:
11-04-2011, 20:45   #58
shazkea
Closed Account

Reflection time...

Cheers girls, really nice to read the encouragement

April 11th Mon

10 easy miles on the bike to bring the legs back to life. Also good time for reflection! It wasn't the time that annoyed me yesterday, it was the level of effort on what should have been a comfortable run.

I think I was freaked out after that I need to increase my pace by a least a min/mile to get those 5 mile and 10 mile targets and on the exact same course .
So in retrospect yesterday was actually the perfect training run, woke me up as to what I need to do. Hill and interval sessions will be introduced to plan - probably alternate them every week. Good learning experience so worth doing despite my rants yesterday
11-04-2011, 22:34   #59
DigiJem

Thats the spirit Shaz, you'll get those times down sooner than you think. How's the foot after the race?
Thanks from:
12-04-2011, 00:17   #60
maria74

I found it really tough out there yesterday and the waiting around was so hard in the heat. Well done, you did brillant!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion