Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-03-2011, 12:01   #16
Alaskimo-cake
Eat the food, Tina!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavisoc View Post
Hi OP,
Do you really need the Beauty Flash Balm as a base/primer after your regular moisturiser? I would only ever use it if my skin felt really parched as it creates a very "dewy" look on my skin. It's quite a rich moisturiser when you combine it with a regular moisturiser. Just a thought I find the Smashbox photo-finish the best I must admit for creating a long lasting base.

For amazing coverage the Estee Lauder Double Wear is probably the best and lasts the longest for me. I tried the Dior spray foundation (my sister bought it), to be honest I thought it settled in my pores if you get me? Looked fab on her dry skin though. But maybe I didn't apply it right.

I'm completely won over by a Chanel foundation at the moment though - it's called "Mat Lumiere" - it gives such a lovely finish, not a chalky powdery finish like a lot of matte foundations. I combine this with the Chanel Primer which I find lovely but don't think it's as good as the Photofinish. I should add that I have very combination skin, so it can get quite dry on the cheeks but horribly oily on the T-Zone and I just find that this foundation really suits me. Too pricey for daytime wear though - so I wear a mineral powder foundation by Fuschia (www.fushcia.ie) every day which I find pretty good, but it does get shiny by lunchtime! So I'm usually reaching for the rice powder to keep things looking ok, seems to work, HTH
I know exactly what you mean about settling in the pores, I hate that! Decided not to invest in the Airflash after all (bought some Dior perfume instead though-gorgeous!). The day I went into BTs without any make-up on, the girl decided to spray the make-up onto the brush and apply it to my skin that way, wasn't really that impressed with the overall effect.

I use Beauty Flash Balm most days but only the teeny tiniest little biteen of it because as you said it can leave you with a very "dewy" feel to the skin but of all the primer-type things I've tried, it seems the best. If I don't use something, my foundation just seems to melt away into my skin and after an hour or so you wouldn't think I'm even wearing any but that my face just looks grubby. The Clarins Smooth Perfecting Touch is really good too, but that little bit oilier than the flash balm so I tend not to bother with it.

I made a resolution to carry my blotting papers EVERYWHERE with me instead of just leaving them in the car and blotting while I have a spare minute in traffic or whatever and I have to say it has helped over the last week.

I've tried mineral foundations and just can't go for them. Maybe I'm not applying them properly (though I've followed the instructions and demos), they just seem to look like muck on my face.

Have also tried MAC, wasn't gone on it either, was really disappointed as it has such a brilliant reputation.

I've decided I'll stick with Clarins for another wee while anyway but I'm giving serious thought to that Chanel one, might go for an trial soon, thanks mavisoc
Advertisement
22-03-2011, 12:40   #17
mavisoc

No bother at at all. My cousin actually gave it a serious road test - she admired my skin on a hen party last summer and got the details of the Chanel Foundation off me. So off she went when she got home and bought it. She's a nurse so was so excited about it she wore it on the night shift! Came home, collapsed into bed, woke up late that afternoon, decided to go for a run and when she came home she couldn't get over how nice her skin looked!! Realised then that she'd never washed off the foundation from the day before. Now her skin would be shiny-ish; but not too bad and she loves it.

I will second the post about the BareMinerals foundation - I love it. Also love the Jane Iredale mineral powder compact. It's very natural looking but matte so you can top it up throughout the day. I love it but it's pricey also (this is the one my sister uses now and I rob whenever I visit!!).

Just checked my face there and there's a slight sheen with the fuschia mineral powder but it is more 'sheeney' than most mineral foundations. I find my skin is much better wearing these powder based foundations daily as it isn't as oily or as prone to breakouts as it was 18months ago when I used to wear a cheap matte liquid foundation as my day-to-day foundation which obviously blocked my pores.

Sorry tend to ramble when I start talking about make-up - just love the stuff!!!
22-03-2011, 13:00   #18
silverspoon

Well I have dry skin so I am kind of useless here , but I have a Benefit's Dr. Feelgood primer and I find it to be very mattifying, so perhaps it might work as a primer on dry skin? I find most primers try to allow more 'slip' for foundation to go on easier (in fact, I think primers are an example of the Emperor's new clothes of the beauty world. I find them crap. Might just be my shoddy application though!) Anyway thought I'd give my .2c, did find the Feelgood to work as a decent mattifier (albeit on slightly dry skin).
22-03-2011, 14:14   #19
Malari

I tried to get a Chanel Mat Lumiere sample and the woman told me they are discontinuing it!

Tried the Estee Lauder Double Wear instead, will see how I go with that tomorrow.
22-03-2011, 14:30   #20
mavisoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malari View Post
I tried to get a Chanel Mat Lumiere sample and the woman told me they are discontinuing it!

Tried the Estee Lauder Double Wear instead, will see how I go with that tomorrow.
They're WHAT?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement
22-03-2011, 14:40   #21
mavisoc

Wonder is that lady telling porky-pies?? It's still listed on the website - it's the only one that falls under the "long lasting" sub search section - so surely they couldn't be getting rid??! I realise I may be clutching at straws here..........
http://www.chanel.com/en_GB/fragranc...ndations-95621
22-03-2011, 15:00   #22
Malari

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavisoc View Post
Wonder is that lady telling porky-pies?? It's still listed on the website - it's the only one that falls under the "long lasting" sub search section - so surely they couldn't be getting rid??! I realise I may be clutching at straws here..........
http://www.chanel.com/en_GB/fragranc...ndations-95621
She could have been jumping to conclusions based on the fact they had limited range of shades in stock and no samples? I'm going to try a couple of places at the weekend and see if I can get it to try it out.
22-03-2011, 15:22   #23
barbie_j

I would recommend Giorgio Armani ...I think they are awesome !! I think if you are oily skin, don't put too much things on your face.. leave your skin fresh for a while, well, I mean, without wearing any make up for few days, see if there is any improvement...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion