Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-03-2011, 02:39   #1
CokaColumbo
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 474
Difference between the Irish Guards and the RIR?

A poster in the RIR thread stated that the main difference between the two is that the RIR tends to be more northern in its composition whilst the Guards tends to be more southern. Is this true and are there any more substantive distinctions regarding their natures and roles in the BA?
CokaColumbo is offline  
Advertisement
17-03-2011, 10:03   #2
OS119
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokaColumbo View Post
A poster in the RIR thread stated that the main difference between the two is that the RIR tends to be more northern in its composition whilst the Guards tends to be more southern. Is this true and are there any more substantive distinctions regarding their natures and roles in the BA?

1IG is, obviously, a light role Foot Guards Regiment with all the ceremonial duties and attitude that such a unit entails, 1RIR is a light role infantry Bn that acts as the round out Bn for 16AA Bde.

1IG is 'posher', and, imv, more pre-independance in heritage and wider attitude, while 1RIR is both more 'contempory' and, bizaarely, harks back to its spiritual antecedants like the 88th - both have lots of people from north and south, lots of people from the UK with either Irish heritage, and lots of people with no Irish connections whatsoever.

both are, in my experience of working with them, superb infantry Bn's - really solid and with excellent morale (a Bn can't be a good Bn without good morale, and it can't have good morale if it has problems).

don't feel constrained to stichk to Irish regiments, and don't feel contrained to the Infantry - there's lots of opportunities out there that in the current (and future?) conflicts will mean you can get as much action as the Infantry.
OS119 is offline  
17-03-2011, 11:10   #3
Utrinque Paratus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OS119 View Post
1IG is, obviously, a light role Foot Guards Regiment with all the ceremonial duties and attitude that such a unit entails, 1RIR is a light role infantry Bn that acts as the round out Bn for 16AA Bde.

1IG is 'posher', and, imv, more pre-independance in heritage and wider attitude, while 1RIR is both more 'contempory' and, bizaarely, harks back to its spiritual antecedants like the 88th - both have lots of people from north and south, lots of people from the UK with either Irish heritage, and lots of people with no Irish connections whatsoever.

both are, in my experience of working with them, superb infantry Bn's - really solid and with excellent morale (a Bn can't be a good Bn without good morale, and it can't have good morale if it has problems).

don't feel constrained to stichk to Irish regiments, and don't feel contrained to the Infantry - there's lots of opportunities out there that in the current (and future?) conflicts will mean you can get as much action as the Infantry.

1IG is now also deployed with 16AA Bde. Their previous role for a number of yrs was as mechanised infantry.


Units and elements of 16 AIR ASSAULT BRIGADE:

216 (Parachute) Headquarters and Signal Squadron
1 Mechanized Brigade HQ and Signal Squadron (215)
102 Logistic Brigade
104 Logistic Support Brigade
7th Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery
Household Cavalry Regiment
5th, 16th,32nd,39th and 47th Regiment Royal Artillery
23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault)
1st Battalion Irish Guards
The Royal Highland Fusilier, 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland
1st Battalion, the Royal Irish Regiment
2nd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment
3rd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment
Pathfinder Group
1, 3, 4 and 9 Regiment Army Air Corps
9 Regiment Royal Logistic Corps
11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment, The Royal Logistic Corps
13 Air Assault Support Regiment Royal Logistic Corps
16 Medical Regiment, royal Army Medical Corps
7 (Air Assault) Battalion Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
156 Provost Company, Royal Military Police
158 Provost Company, Royal Military Police
1st Miliatary Working Dog Regiment
The Honourable Artillery Company

Reservist Regiments:
100-106 Regiment Royal Artillery
101 Engineer Regiment (EOD)
7th Battallion The Royal Regiment of Scotland
2 Royal Irish
4 PARA
The London Regiment
The Welsh Transport Regiment, RLC
166 Supply Regiment, RLC
168 Pioneer Regiment, RLC
101 Force Support Battalion, REME
103 Battalion, REME
Military Provost Staff

Last edited by Utrinque Paratus; 17-03-2011 at 17:46.
Utrinque Paratus is offline  
17-03-2011, 21:47   #4
groundshaker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34
As of now the majority of southern irish applicants are joining the royal Irish, simply because it is a bigger regiment. I,m going the Micks soon myself, just fancied being based near london would be better than being stationed in Ternhill with the Royal Irish. There,s nearly three times as many places left to be filled in the Royal Irish as opposed to the Irish Guards, so there,s more competition for the Irish Guards places´, ie. you need a grade B at least from adsc to get a place. Anyway in response to your question both have plenty of soldiers from north and south. I know myself and plenty of other southern lads joing the micks if you,re interested
groundshaker is offline  
18-03-2011, 07:35   #5
Fratton Fred
Registered User
 
Fratton Fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sarf Dublin innit
Posts: 20,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundshaker View Post
As of now the majority of southern irish applicants are joining the royal Irish, simply because it is a bigger regiment. I,m going the Micks soon myself, just fancied being based near london would be better than being stationed in Ternhill with the Royal Irish. There,s nearly three times as many places left to be filled in the Royal Irish as opposed to the Irish Guards, so there,s more competition for the Irish Guards places´, ie. you need a grade B at least from adsc to get a place. Anyway in response to your question both have plenty of soldiers from north and south. I know myself and plenty of other southern lads joing the micks if you,re interested
Windsor looks a pretty good place to be based. I worked opposite the castle for four months last summer and the Irish Guards appeared to be quite popular with both locals and visitors alike. To my untrained eye it looked like a good mix of ceremonial and business soldiering.

Plenty of young female tourists around as well.....
Fratton Fred is online now  
Advertisement
18-03-2011, 15:03   #6
CokaColumbo
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 474
Thanks for the replies guys.
CokaColumbo is offline  
19-03-2011, 16:28   #7
groundshaker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34
Ya windsor is definitely a nice spot to be based! Right beside heathrow too. The micks are moving to aldershot next year though and leaving the ceromonial duties aside for a few years. Think they're going out to afganistan in 2013 again aswell.
groundshaker is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet