Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-02-2011, 13:21   #1
BullBauld

Upstairs heating won't come on

Folks

My heating is split into 3 zones - upstairs, downstairs, hot water.

All was ok until the other morning when the upstairs heating didn't come on as normal.

When I turn it on nothing happens. The boiler doesn't kick in. The light comes on the timer but thats all. But everything is fine with downstairs heating and hot water.

The oil was fairly low until I got a fill on Monday. If it got too low while the upstairs heating was trying to kick in(or was on) would this have resulted in an air lock?

Or would an air lock have occured between oil tank and boiler thus not allowing any heating to work.

What is the likely cause?

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Bull
Advertisement
23-02-2011, 13:45   #2
Buford T Justice

Can you turn on the heating downstairs, and does it kick the boiler on?

You could have a faulty motorized valve that's stuck on closed which is preventing the heat from going upstairs.
23-02-2011, 14:20   #3
BullBauld

Hi Fingers, thanks for your reply.

Yup can turn on downstairs & hot water and boiler kicks in no problem.

What can i check myself before getting the plumber in? Circulating pump, what else?
23-02-2011, 16:21   #4
Diggerdunne

if your comfortable with electrics check the motorized valve is sending power back to the boiler, it maybe knackered and so not sending a switched live to the boiler. I think its the orange cable normally on the valve but i could be wrong on that.
23-02-2011, 16:31   #5
irishgrover

I know this sounds a bit daft and very unlikely, but since I did it myself (and I'm shockingly smart !) I'll mention it.
You didn't by chance, absentmindedly mess around with the upstairs wall thermostat, and turn it off (not just turn down temp, but turn off the switch on thermostat?)
It's a longshot, but have a look just in case.
Advertisement
23-02-2011, 20:16   #6
mikehunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrover View Post
I know this sounds a bit daft and very unlikely, but since I did it myself (and I'm shockingly smart !) I'll mention it.
You didn't by chance, absentmindedly mess around with the upstairs wall thermostat, and turn it off (not just turn down temp, but turn off the switch on thermostat?)

This is exactly what our little lad did, turned off the switch in the hot press for the heating up stairs
23-02-2011, 20:33   #7
stonefish

also check

You should also check if theres a gate valve closed on the cold feed from the small cistern or if its a pressurised system check that the pressure on the pressure gage is around 2 bar,Maybe you have a small leak some where this would drain the heating system,the upstairs would be the first to drain.Is your hot water cylender upstairs or downstairs?
26-02-2011, 02:41   #8
jimmytheface

In your hotpress is a motorised valve this is what gives you zones , the wall stat says I want heat this tells the mv to open which in turn fires the boiler . Now if you have downstairs heat ,upstairs mv could be just broken, not getting power ( they break !!) they are not hard to replace nor costly. You can however overide the auto system by sliding the (usually grey) switch on the mv, this will keep the mv open all the time thus not giving you a zone but heat
26-02-2011, 11:49   #9
Bruthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee View Post
Can you turn on the heating downstairs, and does it kick the boiler on?

You could have a faulty motorized valve that's stuck on closed which is preventing the heat from going upstairs.

Could also be a room or wall stat if there is one fitted between the timer and the upstairs circuit motorised valve. Its likely either the valve as fingers says here, or the room stat if there is one fitted anywhere.

Do you have such a stat anywhere upstairs OP? Check it has not been turned down if there is one.

Last edited by Bruthal; 26-02-2011 at 11:51.
Advertisement
26-02-2011, 11:54   #10
Bruthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrover View Post

Just seen this now, its not a long shot really, i seen it a fair few times where kids have turned them down. And the parents have not realised it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion