Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-01-2011, 18:52   #1
spacekiwi

alfa airbag warning light stays on

hi all,

My 166 airbag light on dash has just suddenly came on and wont go off.

is there anyway anyone knows of to fix problem...some say check leads and connectors under seats...others say needs system reset at alfa dealer

Wont pass a nct until gone.....help please.

thanks.
Advertisement
21-01-2011, 18:55   #2
Carstuck

Had same light on a fiesta recently, brought to a garage and had to get the main computer replaced. Really you need to get the code read at a garage.
21-01-2011, 18:58   #3
delaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekiwi View Post
hi all,

My 166 airbag light on dash has just suddenly came on and wont go off.

is there anyway anyone knows of to fix problem...some say check leads and connectors under seats...others say needs system reset at alfa dealer

Wont pass a nct until gone.....help please.

thanks.

Would appreciate help with exact same problem on a BMW 330.

Thanks
21-01-2011, 19:08   #4
Hotwheels

Check the connections under the seats, that's usually the culprit, the light goes off when fixed..
21-01-2011, 19:22   #5
delaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carstuck View Post
Had same light on a fiesta recently, brought to a garage and had to get the main computer replaced. Really you need to get the code read at a garage.
Hadn't seen your post when I was posting mine. Your advice sounds like what I'm being told. So thanks for your post, helps to re-assure that I'm not being led up the proverbial.

The guy who fixes my car is a mechanical genius, but he tends to go for the nuclear option at all events. The local breaker has been known to say that he could make a good living out of the parts my guy scraps!
Advertisement
21-01-2011, 19:56   #6
kyote00

Hi

Assuming its the red airbag light, then it could be either connections under the seat or could be a fuse called "services2" - second from the bottom on left hand side of the fuse box under the steering column.

Did it just happen randomly ?

Note, the warning light needs to be reset using a diagnostic - it wont go out by fixing the problem (i.e. new fuse or loose connection).

I also have a 166 (and a 156 before that) and I use this diagnostic kit to reset and check codes (www.alfadiag.net) -- works perfectly and reads all specific alfa codes....
(fiatecuscan also works http://www.fiatecuscan.net/)

If you are pulling out fuses or checking wires, make sure to disconnect the battery otherwise you willl make things worse....

(finally come over here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ireland/ for best Alfa advice and not the tripe that usually goes on here...)

Last edited by kyote00; 21-01-2011 at 20:01.
Thanks from:
21-01-2011, 20:06   #7
Stheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyote00 View Post

I also have a 166 (and a 156 before that) and I use this diagnostic kit to reset and check codes (www.alfadiag.net) -- works perfectly and reads all specific alfa codes....
(fiatecuscan also works http://www.fiatecuscan.net/)

If you are pulling out fuses or checking wires, make sure to disconnect the battery otherwise you willl make things worse....

(finally come over here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ireland/ for best Alfa advice and not the tripe that usually goes on here...)
Never having seen a diag kit being used, where does the connector plug into in the car so that the pc can read the codes?
21-01-2011, 20:09   #8
kyote00

On the 166, its just under the steering column above the fuse box.
Thanks from:
22-01-2011, 09:58   #9
spacekiwi

thanks kyotee
Advertisement
22-01-2011, 11:29   #10
Nonoperational

Same thing happened in a 156 I had. There was a loose connector in the boot. Behing a little window on the right hand side of the boot trim. Gave them a push together and it's off since.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion