Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-04-2010, 12:12   #1
alpha2010
Banned

Scales in Weight Watchers Are Wrong ?

Recently i decided to go on a diet with my bf, we both felt very unhappy because of the weight we had put on. He has lost 5 stone before so i knew that he could help me. Anyways we started eating properly last Friday, and i started jogging with him in the mornings. The start of the diet i weighted 14stone 4lbs.

i decided to join weight watchers cause i have heard good things so i went yesterday and i got weighed in . the scales said i was 13 stone 3. i knew i hadn't lost a stone in a week. So i thought that the scales at home was wrong and i was delighted that i didn't really weigh 14 stone 4. but i started to think maybe the scales in weight watchers were wrong. So i went to my local chemist and they weighed me and i was 14 stone. so i had lost 4 pounds that week. and then i got really confused so i went to another chemist and they had me down as 14 stone as well. i tried my wii fit it was 14 too. so that means weight watchers scales are wrong.

has this ever happened to anyone? i know your just meant to go by one scales, but it has me down a stone lighter which is a major difference.
Im also afraid to go back next week in case the scales is fixed and then it looks like i put a stone on over the week..
Advertisement
02-04-2010, 15:01   #2
EileenG

Different scales will vary, but your reading on each individual scales should be relatively accurate. So if you get on the WW scales again next week, and are 2lb less than this week, it's safe to say you really have lost 2lb.
(2) thanks from:
02-04-2010, 21:06   #3
pinkypinky

Did you wear the same clothes and shoes to both weigh-ins?
I've often seen ladies with huge boots on and cardigans - it must make a difference. I wear the same clothes and shoes every week to be accurate.
03-04-2010, 02:01   #4
rubadub

Weight can change a lot with hydration levels. Next time you are going wiegh yourself just before leaving the house, same clothes etc, do not drink or eat anything. A pint of water weights ~568g, a lb is 454g
Thanks from:
03-04-2010, 10:39   #5
restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
Weight can change a lot with hydration levels.
I think this is the real reason the scales seem to be different.
If it is a good quality scales, it should be reasonably accurate.
Advertisement
03-04-2010, 10:46   #6
brian ireland

By the way I bought A Weight watchers scales in Argos for the OH on Thursday.They are half price at the moment, does BMI and more. Wouldn't pay 40 euro for a scales but its not bad at 20 euro.
Thanks from:
03-04-2010, 13:56   #7
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian ireland View Post
By the way I bought A Weight watchers scales in Argos
I used a WW digital scale before and when the batteries were low it gave very different readings so watch out for that. I would recommend salter brand scales.
Thanks from:
09-04-2010, 13:37   #8
Lux23

Did you get to the bottom of this Alpha? I was at the doctor yesterday and she recorded my weight as a stone lighter than Unislim do; I find this quite worrying because hydration levels or different scales cannot account for such a different weight. Well maybe not worrying but odd.
09-04-2010, 20:56   #9
alpha2010
Banned

yes, i went to weight watchers and again i was almost a stone lighter i was now at 13 stone when i knew i really was 13 stone 11. So at the end of the meeting i went over to a different weight watchers leader and i explained it and she said that was odd so she brought me over and weighed me but she turned off the little computer and just weighed me on the scales and i was 13stone 11, so therefore the other woman has been weighing me and all the other women wrong

i don't know if i should go back like she probably didn't notice but its twice in a row now and i hope the other woman told her so its sorted for next week because the weighing is the main thing like its 10 euro a week to get weighed and 20 mins of talking so i want it done right you know, cause after the meeting i have to go to 2 other chemists to get my proper weight .

Last edited by alpha2010; 09-04-2010 at 20:58.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2011, 16:11   #10
GMorrison

Thank you...I'm so glad you posted this...

I started Weight Watchers last week. I have two scales at home...I weighed on both scales prior to going in. One scale is digital and one is not. When I weighed in they said I weighed 188.4 lbs. My scale at home - Weight Watchers Digital Scale - I weighed 196.7. So I too assumed that my scale at home was wrong. I had watched what I ate and according to both my scales at home I lost 5 lbs. I go to weigh in and they tell me I've gained 5 lbs. I know I've lost weight - sorry I know 5 lbs isn't a lot but you can feel it. Do I believe their scale - which by the way is now the same as my scale - or do I believe two scales I weighed in on every other day....hmmmm. Of course they told me I was wrong...blah, blah, blah, their scales are calibrated - my scales are cheap (even though one is made by Weight Watchers)....if their scales are perfect, why do they need to be calibrated? Thank you for posting...you made my day! I knew I wasn't crazy!
13-01-2011, 16:25   #11
Dotcomdolly

When you say weightwatchers scales you mean the ones at class right? not the branded ones you buy in argos?

The "weigh-pads" are calibrated once a month I've been told so are pretty accurate.

Clothes, shoes and how much you have drunk & peed will all affect what the numbers are.
Thanks from:
14-01-2011, 10:17   #12
kildareash

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha2010 View Post
yes, i went to weight watchers and again i was almost a stone lighter i was now at 13 stone when i knew i really was 13 stone 11. So at the end of the meeting i went over to a different weight watchers leader and i explained it and she said that was odd so she brought me over and weighed me but she turned off the little computer and just weighed me on the scales and i was 13stone 11, so therefore the other woman has been weighing me and all the other women wrong

i don't know if i should go back like she probably didn't notice but its twice in a row now and i hope the other woman told her so its sorted for next week because the weighing is the main thing like its 10 euro a week to get weighed and 20 mins of talking so i want it done right you know, cause after the meeting i have to go to 2 other chemists to get my proper weight .
I think you should say it to her Alpha. Otherwise, how will she know there is a problem?

I weighed myself on the Wii fit on Tuesday night and again, just before I went to WW on Wednesday and there was a kilo in the difference!
But both the wii fit and the WW scales gave me the same weight on Wednesday.
14-01-2011, 16:44   #13
pinkypinky

I think the main point here is to pick one scales and only weigh on it and once a week. As I said above, I wear the same clothes/shoes and weigh at the same time of day so that I get as accurate as possible a reading. What you want to be concerned with is the difference on the same scales week to week. If you are doing WW, just weigh on their scales. It's tempting to do sneaky weighs on your home one but it can end up disheartening you and causing a breakout with food (feck this, I'm having a crunchie...)
14-01-2011, 16:53   #14
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMorrison View Post
if their scales are perfect, why do they need to be calibrated?
People say they "calibrated scales" when really they usually mean they checked if it was within calibration. e.g. if you have a very good scales it should always say 80kg if you put a reference 80kg on it. If it says 85kg then you must adjust it, and this is the sign of a bad scales. So the WW scales they use might be very good and never need adjusting, but they still get it checked.

If you have something heavy at home you could weigh it to check if it really is fluctuating. e.g. I weigh about 85kg and have that in weighlifting plates so could verify if it really is changing. You could also take your own scales along to the chemist and WW meetings to rule out hydration etc. I have put on 2.5lb in the last 5mins by drinking a pint of milk and a pint of water.

On cheaper scales it can vary for many reasons, uneven surface, putting on a carpet instead of hard floor, standing to one side or different spots, low batteries etc.
Thanks from:
14-01-2011, 17:07   #15
kildareash

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I think the main point here is to pick one scales and only weigh on it and once a week. As I said above, I wear the same clothes/shoes and weigh at the same time of day so that I get as accurate as possible a reading. What you want to be concerned with is the difference on the same scales week to week. If you are doing WW, just weigh on their scales. It's tempting to do sneaky weighs on your home one but it can end up disheartening you and causing a breakout with food (feck this, I'm having a crunchie...)
I agree with u about sticking to one scales, but surely one scales shldnt weigh a stone heavier/lighter than another.
I'd accept a few pounds, but one scales has to be wrong in the OPs case

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion