Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-10-2010, 10:49   #16
Atomic Pineapple

The thing is most of the people done by these cameras wont actually be speeding, they'll simply be going faster than some stupid limit but usually travelling in a safe manner for the road.

The rigid setup of a set speed limit for M/N/R roads simply doesn't work and leads to astonishingly stupid limits everywhere both in terms of being too high and too low.
Advertisement
21-10-2010, 11:39   #17
spud_67

I agree with everything being said here and like RoverCraft said
'10 or more years back you'd drive like a bat out of hell to try making up time you'd spent on crap roads and stuck in traffic in every crappy little bottleneck on the way. That's all gone now' but the main issue I can see and have seen this week is the new gatso van's being placed just inside a reduced speed limit zone.

Yesterday I seen one of the new gatso's in the drogheda /duleek area and the camera was positioned 60 yards just beyond the 60Km/H catching everyone just slowing down. This surely is an easy target and I wouldn't have labelled this straight section of the road as an 'accident blackspot' at 5 in the evening!

I know that being seen is an effective way of policing and making people recognise their surroundings more but is GoSafe just going to take the easy target every time!
Thanks from:
21-10-2010, 12:28   #18
bazzachazza

Best place to whine about "stupid" speed limits is on an anonymous internet forum. If people put the same effort into writing to their local councilor about out of date stupid limit's that they put in on MOTORS, then they might actually do something about them like review them.

I imagine when we changed from mph to km/h the Councils only went out to count the exact number of each sign they needed not whether the limit was ACTUALLY appropriate for the road.

By international standards our motorway limit is up there with the rest. In fact by this website http://www.europe.org/speedlimits.html we do quiet well being smack bang in the middle. I personally think the limit should be 130 km/h. But even at that others on here would prefer the German non-limit.
21-10-2010, 12:29   #19
dahamsta
Banned

1500 new locations and/or cameras, according to the Times. And there was me thinking there was a recession on.

Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills. There's a difference. Try a little driver training, and stop giving licences to morons.
(5) thanks from:
21-10-2010, 12:51   #20
KamiKazi
Banned

Hope they all get burnt out just like the one in Cork a while back.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-10-2010, 12:53   #21
dahamsta
Banned

Ooooh, do tell! At least we're good for something.

I've often felt like taking an angle grinder to the useless CCTV cameras myself.
Thanks from:
21-10-2010, 12:57   #22
Eoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_67
Yesterday I seen one of the new gatso's in the drogheda /duleek area and the camera was positioned 60 yards just beyond the 60Km/H catching everyone just slowing down. This surely is an easy target and I wouldn't have labelled this straight section of the road as an 'accident blackspot' at 5 in the evening!
This is a good example. Even if certain speed limits are increased, I can't imagine that this will stop the cynical use of speed cameras. The 120km/h speed limit on the motorways is fine with me, but that doesn't mean that I would agree with speed cameras catching people doing 130 km/h.
Thanks from:
21-10-2010, 13:02   #23
fitzgeme

Radar detector shoudl sell well so,
Assuming these van work on Radar?????
Will they be out at night?
Will they be clearly visable, not hiding behind bushes?
Do they take drive pictures to verify who is driving?
Will they be set with a margin of saftey, ie not zapping people at 61khp in a 60 zone?
21-10-2010, 13:05   #24
OldmanMondeo

this part

Private company the GoSafe consortium will provide 6,000 hours of filming by the cameras every month, and the system will go live in November. But each zone will have a sign erected to warn motorists they face the prospect of being caught

Does this mean the static camera will be signposted or will the Mobile units also have to be signposted? If the latter, can't see any problems and anyone that does get done for speeding in an area that has a signposted camera deserves it.
Advertisement
21-10-2010, 13:05   #25
old_aussie

Any where, Any time.

That's the advert for the new private speed cameras in Australia.
21-10-2010, 14:08   #26
CreepingDeath

Over the past 2-3 weeks, they've been targeting the Drogheda area.
I've seen a white transit van parked in two separate locations, well hidden when it's dark. No florescent stripe on the rear of the van.

Does anyone know, do those detection vans only catch speeders coming towards them ? Or do they also catch speeders driving away from them, taking a photo of their rear registration plate ?

I just started to wonder, whether they can catch traffic on both sides of the road in a simple two way road...
21-10-2010, 14:32   #27
Atomic Pineapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzachazza View Post
Best place to whine about "stupid" speed limits is on an anonymous internet forum. If people put the same effort into writing to their local councilor about out of date stupid limit's that they put in on MOTORS, then they might actually do something about them like review them.
Have you ever tried that?

A local councilor would never be seen to be in favour of an increase in a speed limit no matter how much sense it made.

They'd get flak from all the ould biddies in the area, Gay Byrne would have to get his say in by condemning the councilor and the RSA would create a public outcry......the poor councilor that tried to do a sensible thing would be out of a job.

Just look at Slane as soon as someone mentioned a 30km/h speed limit every politician in the area jumped on the band wagon to get there names mentioned in the papers and it was implemented in record time despite it being one of the most ridiculous speed limits I've ever come across.
(3) thanks from:
21-10-2010, 14:56   #28
Anan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiKazi View Post
Hope they all get burnt out just like the one in Cork a while back.
Read the charter.
21-10-2010, 14:57   #29
fitzgeme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anan1 View Post
Read the charter.
Think that one is a rule in the corkonian charter
21-10-2010, 15:09   #30
Anan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoin View Post
This is a good example. Even if certain speed limits are increased, I can't imagine that this will stop the cynical use of speed cameras. The 120km/h speed limit on the motorways is fine with me, but that doesn't mean that I would agree with speed cameras catching people doing 130 km/h.
I'm confused! You want the 120km/h limit to be retained but not enforced?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion