Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-08-2010, 10:06   #1
r3nu4l
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to r3nu4l
Attic water tank overflow pipe dripping constantly

Hi all,

The water tank in the attic in my house has an overflow pipe (as all do I assume). The pipe is dripping constantly at the moment. Can anyone tell me why this might be happening and recommend a way to fix this?
Advertisement
31-08-2010, 10:09   #2
Davy
Category Moderator

Dodgey ball valve possibly. You need to get up and have a look, bounce the ball valve up and down and see is it stopping itself.
Thanks from:
31-08-2010, 11:19   #3
Buford T Justice

I agree, the ballcock valve could be knackered so it keeps feeding in water. It may just need adjusting on the other hand. Try bending the arm slightly so the ball is further down in the water and see if this stops the water intake. If not, replace...
Thanks from:
31-08-2010, 15:51   #4
Sparkpea

before checking it make sure you haven't just flushed the toilet or ran water as obviously the tank will be filling in. when you're checking it see if you can see the water mark around the overflow. does it drip all the time? or only overnight/when you're away? or when the heating is on if you have an expansion tank?

if you have 2 tanks sometimes its as handy to change both if you're not sure which it is, you can bend the ballvalve arm down a bit more as someone suggested but if its dripping often then this is only a temporary thing as it will eventually overflow again. if you're not doing it yourself and are waiting on a plumber and if its dripping often sometimes people would leave the cold tap in the bath running ever so slightly (with the plug out obviously) so the tank doesn't overflow.. again if u pay water rates then this isn't a great idea
Thanks from:
31-08-2010, 16:52   #5
r3nu4l
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to r3nu4l
We only have one tank. It seems to mostly drip at night and in the evening so I'm going to get up there tonight if I can and have a look once it's actually dripping.

The tank is a galvanized tank so perhaps it's contracting at night causing the water level to rise?
Advertisement
31-08-2010, 16:55   #6
Micky Dolenz
Cat Mod

No, since you don't use it during the night it has a chance to fill.

Changing the Valve is a straight forward job. Do check the condition of your tank, they have be known to literally fall apart when disturbed.
31-08-2010, 17:02   #7
Davy
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Dolenz View Post

Changing the Valve is a straight forward job. Do check the condition of your tank, they have be known to literally fall apart when disturbed.
+1

If you aren't gonna tackle the valve yourself, and have to get someone in, would be wise to install a new plastic tank imho. Half a day would cover it
31-08-2010, 17:08   #8
Sparkpea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
+1

If you aren't gonna tackle the valve yourself, and have to get someone in, would be wise to install a new plastic tank imho. Half a day would cover it
^^ totally agree with the previous too comments. IMO don't bother changing the ballvalve, just change the tank and get a new ballvalve at the same time. The tank does need changed I'm sure the barnacles inside are just about holding it together.

I've my mother in laws to change next week for that very reason. Supply and fit cost to her is about £200 because its family but would expect someone to charge anywhere from £250-£360 to be reasonable.

A lady 2 weeks ago told me she paid £780 for one to be installed. I was gobsmacked!

Forking out £300 or whatever for a new tank is alot cheaper than it leaking all through your ceilings, contents etc.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion