Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-08-2010, 15:36   #1
gary_bre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 54
Average Maint Fee for IT Support of 6pc's

Hi All
As the title says im looking to see what would be the average yearly maintainence fee for a small business of 5pcs and 1 server would be. No printer or other hardware to be maintained.

Im just doing some research on what would be the norm in this kind of envoirnment.

If more info is required I can provide but in relation to what would be required it would be a basic health checking/ updating anti virus /OS Updates etc and making being point of contact for and IT issues related to the6 pcs. No 3rd party software to be maintained.

To point out this isnt post looking for IT Support but rather a search to see what would be a reasonable yearly price for support.

Cheers
gary_bre is offline  
Advertisement
21-08-2010, 16:19   #2
rolion
Registered User
 
rolion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,167
What kind of response time are you looking at !?

Also,replying back is by phone,email or call-out !?

Most of this kind of work that you require is done remotely and pro-active...do you accept this kind of 'no physical site visit' presence !?

Regards...
rolion is offline  
21-08-2010, 16:59   #3
gary_bre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 54
well thats it , it would be primarily by phone, email and remotely, but onsite visits would be required if a issue couldnt be resolved by either of the above. I would imagine that sites visits would be very rare in this envoirnment.
gary_bre is offline  
23-08-2010, 17:10   #4
jpl888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: johnlewis.ie
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_bre View Post
Hi All
As the title says im looking to see what would be the average yearly maintainence fee for a small business of 5pcs and 1 server would be. No printer or other hardware to be maintained.

Im just doing some research on what would be the norm in this kind of envoirnment.

If more info is required I can provide but in relation to what would be required it would be a basic health checking/ updating anti virus /OS Updates etc and making being point of contact for and IT issues related to the6 pcs. No 3rd party software to be maintained.

To point out this isnt post looking for IT Support but rather a search to see what would be a reasonable yearly price for support.

Cheers
I can't tell you what the average is but I can tell you what I charged my closest fit last year - a shade under €4105

That was for 6 users and 2 servers in 2 locations, a couple of special apps and included everything (including new installs and VAT).
jpl888 is offline  
24-08-2010, 00:54   #5
rolion
Registered User
 
rolion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,167
myself : 300 x 12m ex - these times and all subject to T&Cs.
rolion is offline  
Advertisement
29-08-2010, 00:05   #6
aidankkk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,039
My company would change about 14-1500 for this kind of support, including monitoring, phone email support and on site calls..
aidankkk is offline  
29-08-2010, 21:24   #7
rolion
Registered User
 
rolion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidankkk View Post
My company would change about 14-1500 for this kind of support, including monitoring, phone email support and on site calls..
I consider your company very profitable and with a good technical support / sales department staff.The price is a very good for the OP as well.

BUT,tbh,if your company offers:

-4 - 8 hours onsite support call

-standard support at business time or 9-to-9 ,5 days

-SBS Servers support and Exchange calls

-Cisco networking issues

-pro-active monitoring software per server,with dynamic auto fixing issues

-included in price desktop & server OS reinstalling due to hardware, software, malware infections with data backup of local desktop (irrelevant of user data stored locally) and restore ALL user previous profile settings

-remote desktop support using specialised software with 1 hour response time

-liaise with third party suppliers (hardware) for fixing customer problems...in order to fix end user issue.

-yealy maintenance and systems review,full software and hardware inventory,project management for advise of upgrades

If your company offers all these,i kindly request to give me your contact details and/or your company ,make it public or in PM, and i shall out-source to you most of my technical calls,you do it at a cost of e125 per month,invoice me and i'll pay you e125 in 60 days,without chassing me for payments...

Because that is what, i pressume, the PO wants from us !
Let me know your thoughts...

Regards...
rolion is offline  
29-08-2010, 21:51   #8
bhickey
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Athenry
Posts: 1,339
Send a message via MSN to bhickey
It's only 6 PC's and 1 server for pity sake. No printers, no network, nothing else.

Assuming that the PC's and server have been setup in the desired manner then there should be very little ongoing maintenance/support required. There will however be no shortage of IT companies willing to try and charge moronic fixed monthly fees justified by scare stories about all the things that might possibly go wrong. A small monthly fee can form part of a typical basic IT maintenance contract but I try to avoid any fixed fees where possible.

The price charged to maintain any site should decrease as the quality of the support increases. So once a site like this is under control I wouldn't expect many support calls to be honest.
bhickey is offline  
29-08-2010, 23:19   #9
aidankkk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolion View Post
I consider your company very profitable and with a good technical support / sales department staff.The price is a very good for the OP as well.

BUT,tbh,if your company offers:

-4 - 8 hours onsite support call

-standard support at business time or 9-to-9 ,5 days

-SBS Servers support and Exchange calls

-Cisco networking issues

-pro-active monitoring software per server,with dynamic auto fixing issues

-included in price desktop & server OS reinstalling due to hardware, software, malware infections with data backup of local desktop (irrelevant of user data stored locally) and restore ALL user previous profile settings

-remote desktop support using specialised software with 1 hour response time

-liaise with third party suppliers (hardware) for fixing customer problems...in order to fix end user issue.

-yealy maintenance and systems review,full software and hardware inventory,project management for advise of upgrades

If your company offers all these,i kindly request to give me your contact details and/or your company ,make it public or in PM, and i shall out-source to you most of my technical calls,you do it at a cost of e125 per month,invoice me and i'll pay you e125 in 60 days,without chassing me for payments...

Because that is what, i pressume, the PO wants from us !
Let me know your thoughts...

Regards...
We would offer all of the above, but it would be a yearly charge, not monthly.. And our engineers would have at least 7-15 years experiance. Where im based there would be a few companies in this price range. If i could get 300 a month for maintaining a 6 user network, i would take it, but it seems a lot.. 50 euro a month for each pc or 600 a year :-O..

Last edited by aidankkk; 29-08-2010 at 23:23.
aidankkk is offline  
Advertisement
30-08-2010, 10:15   #10
rolion
Registered User
 
rolion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidankkk View Post
We would offer all of the above, but it would be a yearly charge, not monthly.. And our engineers would have at least 7-15 years experiance. Where im based there would be a few companies in this price range. If i could get 300 a month for maintaining a 6 user network, i would take it, but it seems a lot.. 50 euro a month for each pc or 600 a year :-O..

Thanks for answering back...

So, 50 euro a month for each pc makes ... 300e per month for a 6user + server !?
Please correct me if i'm wrong ! !
rolion is offline  
30-08-2010, 10:43   #11
aidankkk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolion View Post
Thanks for answering back...

So, 50 euro a month for each pc makes ... 300e per month for a 6user + server !?
Please correct me if i'm wrong ! !
not sure what your saying, we wouldnt be 300 a month.. nearer the figure i quoted earlier, and the best we'd do would be to invoice quarterly..
aidankkk is offline  
30-08-2010, 11:39   #12
rolion
Registered User
 
rolion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,167
Sorry for confusion... just to quote you: 50e per pc per month...

I've serviced my gas boiler and for less than an hour they charge me near to 100e !! And the chap didn't have any of the my IT certs and experience and money invested in training ! Maybe is time to change the job...

Anyway,so rather than having a monthly/quarterly/annually IT fee why not go for the call-out charge,per hour,per incident ?

Let's say a PC OS failure (hardware,software or malware) is a 4 hours fix.Let's say 100e first hour and 50e there after makes it at 250e.Right ? But for 400e you get a new PC !! Is it worth it for the customer ? Some cowboys out there does it for less than 50e !?? How is that possible ? Dunno...i can't spend 4 hours for 50e...

A server failure...that takes at least 1 day,possible 2 days ! I don't want to talk about response time ...and that from the customer perspective is not a fcuking server,is about paying 1500e per year for IT maintenance,is because his staff/users are not having access to email,data,web ,printing - at that point in time,is not about hardware or software as 'bhickey' posted earlier on- is about his business and the customer expect you 'kind of yesterday',no matter what money and quality of service derrives from those charges...for a 4 hour repsonse time,you need a stand-by engineer paid with crappy moneys... So,can you charge 125e per month,for a full time senior engineer ,to spend two days in customer site to fix the server !?? Engineer's expenses (petrol,car,van,parking,phone,insurance,wages) can be covered by 125e per two days !?? Hardly...i know is a gamble these maintenance contracts,possible to get the customer locked with only your company dealing with on IT related line,but ...profit ?? Where is my profit ??

As a Senior IT Engineer,over more than 12 years,i focused on my knowledge/skills to serve my best the customer WHILE making sure that the company i worked for ,is making profit in order to pay my wages...Correct ?? yes...

As a future self-employed IT Consultant...where are the boundary ? Profit ? Customer satisfaction ? IT Training and knowledge ?? Challenges and night less sleep,white nights !?? I think is my profit first and then after all of these...with the customer satisfaction second ! A customer will never be happy,even if he pays 125pm or 300pm...because he assumes IT is only money consuming ,breaking when he needs it at most and never does what is supposed to do...Some customers didn't bother for IT charges until something goes really wrong and then it might be too late (try restoring a lost AD database with tens of users and computers in domain).In IT is never a 'set it and forget it' type of scenarious...can be user errors,hardware malfunctioning,software that goes hay-wire after a Windows update,a Sage upgrading patch,an antivirus update stucked,an email message corrupting the whole queue,ISP broadband line going down and you get to meet all ISP's tech support department over a day long...so i'm asking:where are my profit ???

Please correct me if i'm wrong...
Regards !
rolion is offline  
Thanks from:
30-08-2010, 12:02   #13
bhickey
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Athenry
Posts: 1,339
Send a message via MSN to bhickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolion View Post
... just to quote you: 50e per pc per month ...... Some cowboys out there does it for less than 50e !??
So €600 per PC per year from the reputable IT provider!

Let's look at a couple of scenarios :

1. Cowboy support. Machine breaks - cowboy fixes it for €50. Machine doesn't break - no charge.

2. Reputable IT provider. Machine breaks - reputable IT provider fixes for free as part of €600 annual maintenance charge. Machine doesn't break - reputable IT provider still charges €600 anyway 'cause he needs to make a profit.

I gotta ask, which one here is the cowboy?
bhickey is offline  
30-08-2010, 12:09   #14
aidankkk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,039
[QUOTE=rolion;67741620]Sorry for confusion... just to quote you: 50e per pc per month...

Sorry i was saying that was more or less what you quoted @ 300/month for 6pcs.



All i can say is that, ive been in the business for 10 years directly, and the amount of onsite callouts a 1 server 6 pc, setup would generate would be very small. The vast majority would be remote dialins, and in reality there will only be a major server issue at most every 3-4 years, & if backups are working and monitored a replacement server can be on site and working very quickly..

Im not the only supplier at this price point, the majority in my area would be similiar in price (but with not as good support )
aidankkk is offline  
30-08-2010, 12:31   #15
jpl888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: johnlewis.ie
Posts: 406
I have to say Rolion I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

As a self-employed IT guy I operate the whole pay per incident hourly rate thing without contract although it is a flat €70 per hour and I charge €70 per month to keep server up to date and monitor backup, network, etc. Remote work is accounted for in 5 min chunks rounded to the nearest hour at invoice time with any remainder carried to the next invoice.

However if I'm fixing a PC I will take it off site to avoid the "charging more than a new PC scenario" at least that way I can be working on other stuff for other customers while doing it and let's face it a lot of the time it's a case of waiting for the PC to do something anyway, so then I only charge for time I'm actually at the PC to be fixed. It also has to be taken into account that a new PC will need to be setup which could also take an hour or two if email and apps, etc. are to be migrated.

I agree that the whole point of contracts is for the provider to cover their costs and make a profit and likewise with an hourly per incident rate. Both will result in the customer paying more under certain circumstances. If a customer has someone who is technically minded a per incident rate will be very cheap because you might only hear from them every few months. If there is no onsite expertise then a contract may be a better option, but then I'm assuming providers will take that into account when pricing the contract unless they want to risk losing money.

On the one hand PAYG is simple because you get charged one rate for all time spent but on the other hand the customer doesn't know what costs are going to be.

It's swings and roundabouts. I think my customers like being able to talk to the guy with the knowledge straight away. I also think they like the quick response whatever the problem and getting 90% of things fixed without an onsite visit.
jpl888 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet