I have an impacted wisdom tooth which, up until about a month or 6 weeks ago, hasn't caused any problems. However, in the last 6 weeks I've noticed a bad taste (and smell) in my mouth and it turns out I've an abscess on my tooth. I'm on antibiotics on the moment for the infection and have been referred to a specialist to take a look at the tooth before it's extracted- my own dentist can't take it out because it's quite badly impacted.
However, I had the same issue last year (except it turned out I had an infection around the tooth for at least 2 years - hadn't been picked up by the dentist) and after the abscess flared up really badly once I was referred to the specialist who, after x-raying the tooth, decided to extract it. No problems with the extraction, etc. even though it took over 30 minutes, but during the procedure I was chatting with the specialist who told me that they have a policy of leaving the tooth if at all possible, and that they wouldn't have extracted my tooth as it had only flared up once except it had cavities underneath the gum.
Now I know every dentist is different and each has their own procedure (and I completely accept that), but if I go to this specialist and they decide that because my tooth hasn't caused any 'major' problems (apart from the infection) they'll leave it for another while, do I have any say in asking them to extract it now rather than a few months down the line when it flares up again? I suffered months of ill health and low energy levels as a result of a suppressed immune system which stemmed from the (granted, undiagnosed and hence untreated) abscess, but haven't been ill since (not even a cold). However, I can feel the onset of the same symptoms starting again now and would prefer to have the tooth extracted now rather than a few months down the line when I'll be back to square one with my health and I would really rather not go down that road again having spent the last year or so building up my health.
I know it's difficult to comment on the situation without actually examining the tooth, but any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.