Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-08-2010, 00:21   #1
fergal_d

Mature Student Grant - How Much Can I Expect?

Hi All,

I am going to go to college as a mature student next September to study Web Design. I am currently unemployed and don't expect to work in Ireland up until I start the course as I am going to travel outside Ireland.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how much the mature student grant is? I will be 25 when the course starts.

Some people told me that it is about 200e a week but I am hearing mixed reviews.

Thanks in advance,
Fergal
Advertisement
11-08-2010, 18:48   #2
moonandstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergal_d View Post
Hi All,

I am going to go to college as a mature student next September to study Web Design. I am currently unemployed and don't expect to work in Ireland up until I start the course as I am going to travel outside Ireland.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how much the mature student grant is? I will be 25 when the course starts.

Some people told me that it is about 200e a week but I am hearing mixed reviews.

Thanks in advance,
Fergal
there is no grant this yr for mature students..only back to education allow.
Im gutted too..
11-08-2010, 22:10   #3
JenniFurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonandstars View Post
Im gutted too..
Somewhat true

You can only get BTEA or a grant but not both. You can apply for a grant if you are going that route but if you spend a minimum of 9 months on social welfare payments like job seeker allowance you can apply to get BTEA and overall it is more money then the highest grant payment.

You will be able to apply for the grants to pay for your fees though which is a considerable amount and may rise by next year again.

Last edited by JenniFurr; 11-08-2010 at 22:13.
11-08-2010, 22:11   #4
Larianne

Quote:
Im gutted too..
This is not correct. As far as I know, you can get either the BTEA or a maintance grant but not both which you could do previously.
11-08-2010, 22:12   #5
Joeytheparrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergal_d View Post
Hi All,

Thanks in advance,
Fergal

Ok

You can either get the Grant OR BTEA

The grant is quite low - The highest rate is €6K but it's quite difficult to get that - the deadline to apply is August 31st so you need to get the application in ASAP details at www.studentfinance.ie

The BTEA gives you the same as your dole - €196 per week - but you have to be claiming JSB or JSA for 6 months in order to qualify
Advertisement
11-08-2010, 23:39   #6
moonandstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymcg View Post
Ok

You can either get the Grant OR BTEA

The grant is quite low - The highest rate is €6K but it's quite difficult to get that - the deadline to apply is August 31st so you need to get the application in ASAP details at www.studentfinance.ie

The BTEA gives you the same as your dole - €196 per week - but you have to be claiming JSB or JSA for 6 months in order to qualify
As far as I know, up until recently u had to be claiming social welfare for 12 mths, it was reduced again to 9 mths recently, surprisingly.
11-08-2010, 23:41   #7
Joeytheparrot

Quote:
As far as I know, up until recently u had to be claiming social welfare for 12 mths, it was reduced again to 9 mths recently, surprisingly.
Yes it was 12 months but I was told recently by FAS it is now actually 6 months
11-08-2010, 23:44   #8
moonandstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymcg View Post
Yes it was 12 months but I was told recently by FAS it is now actually 6 months
OK fair nuff, said on the paper recently tho that it is now 9 months.. 6 mths is grand, it's been a while since it was that.
12-08-2010, 06:58   #9
spurious
Category Moderator

Just a reminder to posters...
whatever about other forums, it's important that any statements made here about the availability or non-availability of funding and grants is accurate.

People can make serious decisions about their future based on information here, so please be sure anything you post is accurate, thanks.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion