Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you use Linkedin?

• 04-08-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I recently had a couple of prospective new clients contact me.

Within a couple of minutes I had researched them on linkedin and from there cross-referenced their personal wordpress and blog pages.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the big advantage of using linkedin? As someone who values their professional and personal privacy, I just don't get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

I can't understand either but I have jumped on the Linkedin bandwagon and started making my profile as eye catching as possible, trying to increase my network and what not. (but then I am unemployed so will resort to anything)

If you search linkedin on boards and look at the other threads, some people swear by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I am on LinkedIn and XING and get contacted at least once a month regarding job offers, mostly on XING. If you setup your profile correctly, join relevant groups to your areas of experience and interest, then it won't be long before you have a good network built up with head hunters and recruitment agencies contacting you. Plus it also helps in your day to day work, there will nearly always be someone who has had experience with the problems you might currently have and can point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Acapella

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but if anyone could recommend any groups to join on Linkedin I would really appreciate it. I am a graduate, just finished my Masters in Management and Global Buisness so on the hunt for a quality job (easier said than done I know!) so any help at all would be appreciated!

And to the original OP, I can understand it to a certain degree especially if you are job seeking or want to be head hunted or even stay in contact with people in your professional realm. But if your content in your position then I can't see the need to be on it myself. I am only on it in the hope of getting that elusive job! :pac:

All the Best,

Acapella

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

As someone who values their professional and personal privacy, I just don't get it.

I don't mean to be smart, but if you don't like the idea of a publicly available professional profile, then just don't use it - or at least put up the bare minimum of details.

I like it for keeping in contact with the people I've worked with over the years - especially as you never know if you'll need a reference.

I don't really use any of the groups - I think I've only joined 2 so far. Nor do I get involved with the questions & answers part of the site - it's just a really handy address book mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Well I got my current job (and another offer) through it. So thats why I use it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Linkedin for me in my current profession is very useful indeed. I use it as my online advertisment. Kind of like an interactive CV and it does generate interest from people looking to recruit you. I also list it on my actual CV as well.

I do not have any reference to who I am on boards or any reference to my personal blog at all. I do have a link to my photography page to show I am a well rounded individual with hobbies (LOL!).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I think it depends what area you're in. I'm currently working in International Development, and it's used very widely. Before this I was a teacher and I don't think anyone used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have noticed on my LinkenIn that in the top right where it gives you suggestions that some are quite peculiar.(People you may know)

John Doe (Sales Representative at Sales Representative)
    Success Achiever. (Had a look. Out of work HR worker)
    Jerry XX (Opportunity Searcher)
    XXX Fachler (Always in Good Company)

There are the normal ones of course as well whom I do not know I assume are coming up because they are part of the "network" from my meagre 15 connections.

I used LinkeIn during my unemployment to connect to recruiters whom posted their jobs online and I could respond through a non direct channel meaning I could bypass their junk filter whereby most of their CV's come through. (i.e I could get my messages directly to their mail box and/or private mail box)

I now use it to connect to people in my workplace and from my former workplace and have received commerical opportunities and have also being "headhunted" or somebody tried to "poach" me from my current employer already.(13 weeks in)

I keep my education details to myself and only list back 6 years in my career, mostly because the rest of it is JUNK. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Linkedin is crucial in my industry.

Was invaluable in my last job hunt. Now invaluable for industry intel and sourcing suppliers.

I keep my profile up to date, and link a lot.

I have approx 500 contacts, all relevant;
    C. 150 current and former colleagues
    C. 100 recruiters or people I have met through recruitment
    C. 100 friends or personal non-industry contacts
    C. 100+ supplier contacts
    C. 50 industry contacts (eg similar jobs in competitors)

Very very very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I just finished off my profile on it this evening, will be interesting to see what comes of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

At the moment I have 11 connections. Most of them are just my friends who also have facebook pages.
    For the laugh I added the CEO of the company i work for and a head in the college I went to and they both accepted me. Hopefully this won't go unnoticed by any prospective employers!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    At the moment I have 11 connections. Most of them are just my friends who also have facebook pages.
    For the laugh I added the CEO of the company i work for and a head in the college I went to and they both accepted me. Hopefully this won't go unnoticed by any prospective employers!

Bad mistake, IMHO.

LinkedIn is for professional contacts.

Facebook is for friends and social contacts.

Don't get 'em mixed up.

Some colleagues become friends, but not all friends could every become colleagues. Remember that you have very little idea about some of your friends workplace behaviour or reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

JustMary wrote: »
    Bad mistake, IMHO.

LinkedIn is for professional contacts.

Facebook is for friends and social contacts.

Don't get 'em mixed up.

Some colleagues become friends, but not all friends could every become colleagues. Remember that you have very little idea about some of your friends workplace behaviour or reputation.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I say my friends, I mean people i know with professional jobs who also happen to be on my facebook page. Most of them aren't close friends, just people I like to keep in touch with in the hope that some day they'll do me a good turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Does anyone know if you can change your region in LinkedIn? Or is it automatically set?

I mean the region specified in Contacts/Network Statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Jumpy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can change your region in LinkedIn? Or is it automatically set?

I mean the region specified in Contacts/Network Statistics.

Yes, Go to Edit Profile and in the first box next to your picture is your region with [edit] written next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

*facepalm*

I made a noob mistake.

Thanks Berty.

Advertisement