Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spectacles

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think your best bet would be to purchase the frames online, then get the lenses done at your optician. A Boardsie, Dolorous, did this recently and ended up with a fab pair of retro frames. Hopefully she'll see this thread ;)

That style of frames would be "horn rimmed" or "wayfarer" I suppose. Cutler and Gross do the most gorgeous frames going, but they're pricey http://www.cutlerandgross.com/#/?page=collections

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Don't forget to have a Look (see what I did there) in the Eyewear forum

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Thanks guys.. Didn't realise there was an eyewear forum. Can move if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I found the frames I wanted online (From here), and got my optician to order them in. It worked out about 60-70 quid more expensive, but it was worth it to make sure I actually liked them on me before buying.

Most opticians are willing to do deals these days aswell, I got an extra pair of metal framed glasses thrown in for an extra tenner in case I ever needed a spare

Thanks Twee. Do you know what the price range on those particular glasses are.. Just looked on their website and some of them are deadly. I'd love a pair like that.

• Advertisement

I'll leave it here for a while though if you search over there I remember a thread about perscription RayBans - Wayfarers like you are searching for. :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Sajan wrote: »
    Thanks Twee. Do you know what the price range on those particular glasses are.. Just looked on their website and some of them are deadly. I'd love a pair like that.

Having a quick scope online, it seems they start at around 250 and go right up to 450 :eek: They're so gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'll leave it here for a while though if you search over there I remember a thread about perscription RayBans - Wayfarers like you are searching for. :cool:

Are you still looking for a pair?

Yep.
    I've found a few sites online to buy the frames from but I really want to find a shop that has a range I can try on to get a good fit first. Hate to fork out €200+ only to find I chose the wrong width bridge and they are unwearable. :o
    When I find the outlet that has the frame I like in varous fittings I'll buy 'em and take them to my optician to get the lenses replaced with perscriptions.
    I have 10 months to find the right pair before I visit Cuba. Going for the "Our man in Havana" look...a bit like Anthony Hopkins in Hannibal if I can swing it.
    Hannibal_Hopkins_Cutler-sunglasses_mid.bmp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Love those! I got my frames at Jeepers Peepers Retro and my optician put my prescription in for me.

Here they are:
    360672435_tp.jpg

The men's frames are around €25 including postage - Linky

Also if you're in Dublin I can highly recommend Grant's Opticians on Wellington Quay. They had no problem putting in my prescription lenses and have a really great collection of retro men's glasses in store, definitely worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Kenneth Cole has a good choice of similar styles for men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I got my Wayfarers eyeglasses (similar the glasses above) from these in Wales. Decent site and great customer support when dealing with my prescription. Link

Dolorous.. Brilliant ebay store. For what I need them for thats exactly what I am after. Do you recall how much that optician charged to get the Lens put in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The lenses from Grants cost €110 as I went for the highest quality ones (plus my job will refund €60 of that :D).

A cheaper option are these online reglazers, ciliaryblue.com. I haven't tried them but the ebay seller highly recommended them. She also gave me a 10% discount code for them, if anyone wants it I'll PM them :) They will send you a box to put the frames in and post it back - around €20 for a straightforward prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

Dolorous wrote: »
    Love those! I got my frames at Jeepers Peepers Retro and my optician put my prescription in for me.

Here they are:
    360672435_tp.jpg

I'm in love! :)

Advertisement