Lose a stone in one week?? Possible?? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-07-2010, 16:59   #1
chilli

Lose a stone in one week?? Possible??

Hi,

A friend of mine told me he lost a stone in a week. Is this even possible. He said he went from 17 stone to 16 stone in one week and then 16 stone to 15 stone the follwing week.

He would have to eat less than 1000 calories a day wouldnt he?

Do you think it is possible or do you reckon he is talking out of his *$"!

I'm losing 1 - 2 pounds a week because I dont want to crash diet and put it all back on.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by chilli; 16-07-2010 at 09:49.
Advertisement
15-07-2010, 17:12   #2
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Talking out of his arse. 1 stone in a week would be possible in certain circumstances - but the person wouldn't have actually lose an entire stone in body weight in that week.

To lose 14lbs, you need to have a calorie deficit of 49,000 calories in a single week. That is, you need to burn off 49,000 more calories than you eat.

The average male burns about 17,500 calories per week without exercise. So even if he didn't eat for a week, he wouldn't lose a stone. He could theoretically do savage amounts of exercise - Michael Phelps famously eats a 12,000 calorie diet on a daily basis when training. If you trained at his level and ate a normal diet, you would easily burn 1 stone (and then some) in a week. But you would never be able to maintain that level of training on a normal diet.

You would also notice someone losing 2 stone in 2 weeks. The change in their appearance, even on a daily basis, would be drastic.

If he believes this himself, it's likely that he's weighing himself all wrong.
(2) thanks from:
15-07-2010, 17:23   #3
The Davestator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Talking out of his arse. 1 stone in a week would be possible in certain circumstances - but the person wouldn't have actually lose an entire stone in body weight in that week.

To lose 14lbs, you need to have a calorie deficit of 49,000 calories in a single week. That is, you need to burn off 49,000 more calories than you eat.

The average male burns about 17,500 calories per week without exercise. So even if he didn't eat for a week, he wouldn't lose a stone. He could theoretically do savage amounts of exercise - Michael Phelps famously eats a 12,000 calorie diet on a daily basis when training. If you trained at his level and ate a normal diet, you would easily burn 1 stone (and then some) in a week. But you would never be able to maintain that level of training on a normal diet.

You would also notice someone losing 2 stone in 2 weeks. The change in their appearance, even on a daily basis, would be drastic.

If he believes this himself, it's likely that he's weighing himself all wrong.
It is possible, but he'd need to be 'biggest loser' fat in order for him to lose a stone in a week and he's not.
Thanks from:
15-07-2010, 17:26   #4
chilli

Thanks Seamus

I havent seen him in about two weeks but will see him next week, he said he will be 14.7 stone by then. When I told him about the 49000 calories thing he just said he has a secrete.. lol .... that no one else in the world knows.

If he is that weight though how the hell did he do it.
15-07-2010, 17:40   #5
brianthebard

Depends on how tall he is, how little he's eating, what the weight lost was composed of and probably a number of other things like using thermobolics or even steroids.
Advertisement
15-07-2010, 17:49   #6
chilli

He is 6ft tall, he says he is eating fairly normal, just healthy foods. Three meals a day and he burns 900 cals a night in the gym
15-07-2010, 18:08   #7
Parsley
Closed Account

how heavy was the chap before?

900 cals a night in the gym... ain't much really.
15-07-2010, 18:14   #8
chilli

He says he was 17 stone before he started but I don't know how true this is.

Basically he is the type of person that has to be one better than everyone else. So because I'm losing weight and gaining muscle he has come up with this story of a stone a week.

I think he is either lying about his starting weight or he is using some thermobolics/steroids like mentioned above but I doubt he lost a genuine 14 pounds of fat in one week, wouldnt he have to burn about 10000 cal a day.
15-07-2010, 18:15   #9
Parsley
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli View Post
He says he was 17 stone before he started but I don't know how true this is.

Basically he is the type of person that has to be one better than everyone else. So because I'm losing weight and gaining muscle he has come up with this story of a stone a week.

I think he is either lying about his starting weight or he is using some thermobolics/steroids like mentioned above but I doubt he lost a genuine 14 pounds of fat in one week, wouldnt he have to burn about 10000 cal a day.
unless he produces solid evidence to the contrary, i think you're safe calling bullsh*t on this one...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-07-2010, 23:48   #10
rantyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli View Post

Suggest that he might have been really, REALLY constipated before he started eating healthy?
Thanks from:
16-07-2010, 00:36   #11
Iceman aka Bobby Drake

hey hey people.. 1st time poster long time fan! it is possible to lose a stone a month.. im down 2 stone in 2 months and dats from going to the gym everyday and burning like double the 900 cals and on a strict diet.. so chilli if ur friend gives up his tip share please..
16-07-2010, 09:45   #12
chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman aka Bobby Drake View Post
hey hey people.. 1st time poster long time fan! it is possible to lose a stone a month.. im down 2 stone in 2 months and dats from going to the gym everyday and burning like double the 900 cals and on a strict diet.. so chilli if ur friend gives up his tip share please..
yeah a stone in a month, defo, but as for a stone in a week you would have to burn 49000 calories in the week if your diet was as strict as not eating at all, Even if you are eating a strict diet you would have to burn at least 10000 cal a day, so he is full of it.

Anyway, my friend is known for his crazy exaggerations lol, you cant really believe anything the guy comes out with. He is lying about his starting weight for a start, I remember him telling me he was 16 stone before and now he is saying no he wasn't he was 17.

Last edited by chilli; 16-07-2010 at 09:47.
16-07-2010, 09:46   #13
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Hang on though....in the thread title you said 1 stone in a month, but in your OP you said 1 stone in a week.

Very different things, which is it?
16-07-2010, 09:49   #14
chilli

Quote:
Hang on though....in the thread title you said 1 stone in a month, but in your OP you said 1 stone in a week.

Ah crap, how did I do that. Sorry it should say a stone in a week. Is there a way to change the title?
16-07-2010, 09:50   #15
chilli

Quote:

Changed it there, thanks for pointing that out, everyone would be wondering what I was going on about hehe

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion