Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-06-2010, 20:33   #1
Wats_in_a_name
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 827
Done Deal Private sellers/dealers

I am looking at cars on donedeal and there are lot of adds down as Private but they have multiple cars for sale. (googled phone number)

Should I be worried or is it not a big deal at all?
Wats_in_a_name is offline  
Advertisement
17-06-2010, 21:08   #2
Anan1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,162
A lie in the ad is never a good start, is it?
Anan1 is offline  
17-06-2010, 21:14   #3
Big Nasty
Registered User
 
Big Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ticknock, D18.
Posts: 14,707
Lots of dealers advertise on done deal but put the ads up individually as opposed to as a dealer. There's a fair few of them that are trying to blow out ****e stock without NCT or service history and poising as private sellers. then again I know a dealer in Wexford with 100+ cars in stock that advertises on done deal and nowhere else!
Big Nasty is offline  
17-06-2010, 21:45   #4
Motorcheck
Registered User
 
Motorcheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North County Dublin
Posts: 268
It's an offence for a dealer under the consumer protection act to misrepresent a vehicle in its advertising / presentation. A dealer selling a car online should declare their status from the start. Posing as a private seller is dishonest and unfortunately becoming quite commonplace.

Ironic really when the industry itself refers to 'Private and Rogue Sellers' as being untrustworthy http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/simi-u...s-beepbeep-ie/
Motorcheck is offline  
17-06-2010, 21:57   #5
Big Nasty
Registered User
 
Big Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ticknock, D18.
Posts: 14,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcheck View Post
It's an offence for a dealer under the consumer protection act to misrepresent a vehicle in its advertising / presentation. A dealer selling a car online should declare their status from the start. Posing as a private seller is dishonest and unfortunately becoming quite commonplace.

Ironic really when the industry itself refers to 'Private and Rogue Sellers' as being untrustworthy http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/simi-u...s-beepbeep-ie/
Correct and right but I know some franchise dealers who are engaging in this practice. And they be SIMI dealers too!
Big Nasty is offline  
Advertisement
17-06-2010, 22:11   #6
Motorcheck
Registered User
 
Motorcheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North County Dublin
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXV View Post
Correct and right but I know some franchise dealers who are engaging in this practice. And they be SIMI dealers too!
Yeah. I'm sure if you dug around a bit you would find links to the same car advertised under a dealers name while simultaneously advertised as a 'private seller'.
Motorcheck is offline  
17-06-2010, 22:15   #7
Big Nasty
Registered User
 
Big Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ticknock, D18.
Posts: 14,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcheck View Post
Yeah. I'm sure if you dug around a bit you would find links to the same car advertised under a dealers name while simultaneously advertised as a 'private seller'.
I could but I wont!
Big Nasty is offline  
17-06-2010, 23:28   #8
robtri
Registered User
 
robtri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: a wet wet place
Posts: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXV View Post
And they be SIMI dealers too!
yes cause Simi are dealers you can trust....
robtri is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet