Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-03-2010, 19:22   #16
scoondle

Consider taking a hackney cab

Book a Hackney Cab :

- Fare known in advance regardless of traffic delays.
(Get the fare quote before you book)
- Good Hackney Cab companies charge the same fare regardless of weekends and time of day.
- No extras, apart from descretionary waiting time
- A personal collection service at airports, train stations, etc.
- For best fare, choose a company close to your origin or destination, but always check the fare before you make the booking.
Advertisement
27-03-2010, 07:25   #17
everyday taxi

There are some new changes coming regarding roof signs and ID's. Alot of drivers who have licenses for e.g wicklow louth meath kildare etc were working in dublin illegally. To try prevent this the taxi regulator is introducing new roof signs which will now include a letter for your county as well as the normal 5 digit number. E.g ..... D 12345. They will also be changing the incar ID to make it easier to read.
17-05-2010, 15:07   #18
turbodiesel

Changes in Plate Tranfer and Driver licencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday taxi View Post
There are some new changes coming regarding roof signs and ID's. Alot of drivers who have licenses for e.g wicklow louth meath kildare etc were working in dublin illegally. To try prevent this the taxi regulator is introducing new roof signs which will now include a letter for your county as well as the normal 5 digit number. E.g ..... D 12345. They will also be changing the incar ID to make it easier to read.
Just rang to renew my driving licence psv. Paid the €250 and then asked where i can get the form for renewal (due in August). They told me that as of today the carriage office in Dublin Castle wasn't sorting out taxi's driving licence renewals anymore. You have to go to Santry Garda Station or contact them on 6664117. Have been trying all day and as was always the case with the Dublin Castle carriage office can't get an answer.....

A friend has also decided to sell his car and plate as a package and asked me to download the forms for him. Looks like things have changed and no longer do you call into Dublin Co Council offices(thats what i did when i bought my plate back in '05) but now you post off the paperwork to a PO Box in Togher - Cork.
17-05-2010, 16:01   #19
ciaran67

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday taxi View Post
Yea and all Dub drivers turn their lights off when dropping off in N. Wicklow, S. Louth and E. Kildare.

I just did my SGS. V easy. Was warned about failing lots of stuff next year like fixed ramps. Fire extinguisher must be in the back even though i have two, one in front and one in back. *Sigh*

Last edited by ciaran67; 17-05-2010 at 16:03.
17-05-2010, 18:47   #20
winston82

If you leave a bag in the boot of a taxi, with nothing of value in it, you will get it back no bother. If you have something expensive in it i.e. Mobile, iPod & expensive watch, you will never see it again. - as told by the guy in the carriages office about 2 months ago.
Advertisement
18-05-2010, 08:09   #21
ciaran67

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston82 View Post
If you leave a bag in the boot of a taxi, with nothing of value in it, you will get it back no bother. If you have something expensive in it i.e. Mobile, iPod & expensive watch, you will never see it again. - as told by the guy in the carriages office about 2 months ago.
Yes, we're actually all magpies in disguise.
30-05-2010, 15:56   #22
Mike 1972
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo View Post
Please remember its against the law to refuse to pay a taxi or a hackney fare..
Is this still the case where a taxi driver refuses to use a meter ?
30-05-2010, 16:09   #23
AlmostFamous

Hey guys.
My friend a couple of months ago got sick in the back of a taxi. He was charged 150 euro for this. Is there a standard price for puking up in a taxi?
His mother was forced to pay as my friend didn't have that sort of money on him. Although in this case my friend was mouldy and was totally responsible. What would happen if my friend got sick due to the taxi driver's dangerous driving?
30-05-2010, 18:23   #24
Ham'nd'egger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 1972 View Post
Is this still the case where a taxi driver refuses to use a meter ?
The use or non use of a meter is one thing (It has to be used even if a fare is fixed or agreed between you and the driver) but it doesn't absolve a passenger of any obligation to pay the fare.
Advertisement
30-05-2010, 18:31   #25
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFamous View Post
He was charged 150 euro for this. Is there a standard price for puking up in a taxi?
"Soiling charge €140.00" http://www.taxireg.ie/consumer/fare-...taxi-fare.html I presume the €150 includes his actual fare.

Quote:
What would happen if my friend got sick due to the taxi driver's dangerous driving?
Has this ever happened anyone?
Thanks from:
30-05-2010, 18:36   #26
Ham'nd'egger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFamous View Post
Hey guys.
My friend a couple of months ago got sick in the back of a taxi. He was charged 150 euro for this. Is there a standard price for puking up in a taxi?
His mother was forced to pay as my friend didn't have that sort of money on him. Although in this case my friend was mouldy and was totally responsible. What would happen if my friend got sick due to the taxi driver's dangerous driving?
Soiling charge is €140; this is in addition to the metered fare. The soiling charge is applied if you render the taxi unusable through any spillage in the taxi; this generally is if you get sick but it also applies if you spill food or drink inside it, have excessively muddy feet that spoilt the carpets/seats, spill any oils, paints etc or if you rip or destroy the car interior to name a few circumstances. Aside from covering the cost of an interior valet, you have also taken the taxi off the road until such time as it can be made good so as such this charge needs to be high. Should you get sick on the exterior of the cab then be decent and offer up something to cover a car wash (I'd suggest €10)

Should you feel sick for whatever reason, please alert the driver ASAP so they can stop to avoid you getting sick inside the car.
Thanks from:
30-05-2010, 18:37   #27
Ham'nd'egger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
"Soiling charge €140.00" http://www.taxireg.ie/consumer/fare-...taxi-fare.html I presume the €150 includes his actual fare.

Has this ever happened anyone?
It's like the bad pint that made you sick, not the good 12 pints before it
Thanks from:
30-12-2011, 10:12   #28
Fuinseog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo View Post
Please remember its against the law to refuse to pay a taxi or a hackney fare.
If you are unhappy with the fare get a receipt and contact the taxi regulator and not the garda as the garda do not deal with this kind of complaint.
Never refuse to pay the fare the garda will arrest you for not paying the fare if they are called even if you feel you are getting over charged.
A Hackeny fare should be agreed before you enter the car as there no price controls on hackneys and you must pay what ever he says if you do not agree the fare before you enter the car.

Most drivers cannot change a €50 note so if you intend to pay with one please tell the driver before you start the journey so he can stop at a shop for you to get change.

Just to remind you its against the law hire a taxi or hackney without having money on your person..... stopping at the bank or going into your house for money is by agreement with the driver only.
If the driver agrees to let you leave the car to get the money from your house make sure you leave something of value with him ... phone ect.....meter keeps ticking like your heart so be quick.
when does the fare begin? once you enter the cab or once the cab moves off. if for example you sit into the cab and suddenly realise that you get an uncomfortable vibe do you still have to pay the basic rate?
30-12-2011, 16:48   #29
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuinseog View Post
when does the fare begin? once you enter the cab or once the cab moves off. if for example you sit into the cab and suddenly realise that you get an uncomfortable vibe do you still have to pay the basic rate?
The instant the driver agrees to take you wherever you ask to, you are liable for the metered fare. This applies no matter how incompetent or whatever the driver does or says or if the driver asks you to leave the car. As it stands, the procedures are there for a passenger to complain legally if you are unhappy or hard done by; equally the law is there if you don't pay the requisite fare.

That said it's not too likely that they will chase you for the cash if they were acting the maggot
30-12-2011, 16:56   #30
mikemac1

Look at the meter when you get in and see it's the correct rate.
It's not complicated, it's usually either A or B. I think C is only New Years eve and Christmas. Takes only a second

So drivers have their meter out.
I booked a taxi one morning and deliberately waited before I called the cab company so he'd arrive past eight am.
Got in, the news on the radio was ending, the weather report was starting yet the more expensive rate was on the meter

Took the journey anyway and I paid him what I usually paid
Got a receipt and his timing was out by seventeen minutes

So speak up and make it clear
If I had said nothing I would have paid the higher rate and he would have been happy for the extra money
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion