Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2010, 23:23   #16
snow ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
North antrim coast simply because it is very dry there and is also alot of mild weather there... there is alot of good views towards scotland from here on clear clear days you can see scotland from the glens and apparently to my uncle you can see upto troon around that area but the farthest ive seen is around stranraer and the closest mull of kintyr were you can see the cars moving and houses on a very clear day !!!!! this is the only place that i can think of as i havnt been to many places like cork galway etc...... was in dublin totally forget what it was like.....
Owen, Dublin is... very forgetable.

North Antrim coast sounds like a great place, I know Troon, next time I'm there I'll post here and give you a wave.
Advertisement
13-01-2010, 23:25   #17
WolfeIRE
Closed Account

By the sounds of things Trim is. Little or no snow at all during last four weeks according to Jambo
13-01-2010, 23:25   #18
Min
Closed Account

Yeah, I'm from Kilkenny but I love the climate of the north Kilkenny hills here, it was great when we had our own met eireann weather station near the city.

Kilkenny usually among the warmest place in summer, Kilkenny among the coldest in winter. In our maritime climate, we in Kilkenny have probably the most continental like climate in the country.

It does it for me....
13-01-2010, 23:29   #19
snow ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
What do you mean by extreme countyism?
Nowhere in ireland is excluded from having the best climate
and what do you mean by 'Best'. Best varies with personal preferences.

Pangea,

Countyism = a bit like nationalism on a county level. E.g. kinda an unrelentless loyalty and dedication to ones own county - regardless of its faults - just to spite the others. I.e something I'm guilty of.

You are totally correct about 'best' just wondering what people think in general.

In that respect I personally think Donegal has one of the best climates, based on my own personal preferences.
Thanks from:
14-01-2010, 01:20   #20
Pangea

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow ghost View Post
Pangea,

Countyism = a bit like nationalism on a county level. E.g. kinda an unrelentless loyalty and dedication to ones own county - regardless of its faults - just to spite the others. I.e something I'm guilty of.

You are totally correct about 'best' just wondering what people think in general.

In that respect I personally think Donegal has one of the best climates, based on my own personal preferences.
Ah i see i completly misunderstood your * message, I thought u meant that if u lived in the extreme countryside , i.e. in the middle of nowhere that it didnt count lol
Well yes My favourite climate would be with a good possability of seeing lieing snow once or twice a year and I think Donegal probably has that more than most counties ,exluding people in the hills in other counties etc.
We do get an awful lot of rain though ,but i suppose thats a price you pay.
Not too sure what counties get the most sunshine , but I was looking up the differences between the sunrise and sunsets of malin head compared to mizen head on new years ,
Malin head has 45 mins less daylight than Mizen, quite extrordinary! So galway or co.clare would be somewhere in between that , e.g. Galway has 20 mins more daylight than Donegal in the winter.
Personally I like the shorter days.
I do think once u come to donegal town and do the full circle or the 'arctic circle' as I like to call it you are in a good area for snow.
The circle would consist of Donegal town , right down to Glencolmcille , ardara , glenties ,fintown ,letterkenny and then back down to donegal to complete the circle. . I know people during the cold spell that came up here saying that its a different world once u go past donegal town.
Glenties is probably the best place for snow ,if theres no snow there , theres none anywhere

P.S Maybe Im guilty of "Countyism" but I suppose that just my point of view and experience, theres probably many people from other parts of ireland in some valley that would say the same about their area.

Last edited by Pangea; 14-01-2010 at 01:24.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2010, 01:38   #21
Danno

Laois, Kildare, Carlow and Kilkenny areas in general have the most continental style weather caused by this island. Coldest in winter and warmest in summer.

However for different extremes bear a thought for the following places...
Most Thunder - East Galway
Most Tornados - East Westmeath
Most Snow - Cavan
Most Wind - Donegal
14-01-2010, 10:27   #22
ciaran67

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow ghost View Post
Pangea,

I got called a provincial racist, many moons ago, by someone from the countryside. Did make me laugh.

There isnt that much difference really between the counties regarding the weather. Only thing i miss from London is the more humid summers.
14-01-2010, 11:47   #23
Mobhi1

West Cork would be very nice if it was a bit drier.

Kilkenny-Carlow-Kildare are good because they tend to get warmish summers and coldish winters (relative to most of the rest of Ireland, of course) and they're not far off the driest and sunniest parts of the country .
14-01-2010, 14:53   #24
Drummer Mummer

From Balbriggan, Co. Dublin to Dundalk in Louth ( I am in between) is supposed to be the driest place in Ireland, according to ME. I think we had the lightest snowfall during the last few weeks, just a light covering, though thick ice. Living by the sea, we tend to thaw first, have little or no snow and have awful easterly winds.
Advertisement
14-01-2010, 16:00   #25
Mothman
Closed Account

Since Rosslare closed, Wexford is struggling to hold onto its sunniest in Ireland claim.

Sherkin Island is the sunniest sunshine recording station now.

As Supercell will tell you Roundwood/Annamoe area gets plenty snow, so much so he's getting sick of it ........but the midges.......
14-01-2010, 17:00   #26
Supercell
Happy :)

Annamoe/Roundwood would be perfect if they were not in a thunderstorm desert,
The proximity to the big smoke is a major plus also for me.
If i had a big 4x4 and a backup generator than here is where I would buy.
But from a young family persepctive its not ideal with schooling, social activities, i suppose it really depends on what your priorities are.
14-01-2010, 17:02   #27
CorkMaths.ie

Cork because you get a warm beach during summer and generally little ice (this winter aside)
14-01-2010, 17:13   #28
Mothman
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercell View Post
Annamoe/Roundwood not ideal with schooling, social activities
And what has this got to do with climate
14-01-2010, 17:41   #29
Irishmarinelife

I would say this as Im from there but

The tropical gardens in Valentia are quite the testament to its microclimate, especially in that Northeast corner of the island, under the hill.

Just north of the Killary Fjord and Mweelrea mountains and West of Croagh Patrick in Mayo has quite an enjoyable microclimate. A lot of the bands of precipitation get 'stuck' over the extensive mountain ranges to the south, so its often clearer out there than in Westport for example. Immediately beside it in the Delphi Valley is one of the rainiest microclimates in Ireland apparently for the same reason.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion