Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 15:02   #1
tedandbetty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 55
cattle without water

how long can cattle go (only getting silage) without water?
every pipe i have is frozen. they are fine at the moment but they have no water for the last week.
tedandbetty is offline  
Advertisement
07-01-2010, 15:09   #2
vanderbadger
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedandbetty View Post
how long can cattle go (only getting silage) without water?
every pipe i have is frozen. they are fine at the moment but they have no water for the last week.
jees a week is a long time, better get a few barrells and head for the river id say
vanderbadger is offline  
07-01-2010, 15:32   #3
whelan1
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,429
a week ffs how would you like to be with out water for a week , we are spending most of our days giving out water at the moment
whelan1 is offline  
07-01-2010, 15:38   #4
adne
Registered User
 
adne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedandbetty View Post
how long can cattle go (only getting silage) without water?
every pipe i have is frozen. they are fine at the moment but they have no water for the last week.
Are you tking the michael...... a week.... water is as important as fodder......
adne is offline  
07-01-2010, 15:59   #5
tedandbetty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 55
not taking any michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by adne View Post
Are you tking the michael...... a week.... water is as important as fodder......
easy there guys, i am not stupid and know how important that water is for cattle.
we are closely watching the cattle and the perfectly healthy at the moment.
this is ot the first time we have had water issues but it certainly the longest it has gone on for. any time it went in the past it came back within a few days however there is no break this time.
tedandbetty is offline  
Advertisement
07-01-2010, 16:34   #6
DanFindy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Donegal
Posts: 242
Ah for f**k sake how the hell would u know if the cattle are in the early stages of dehydration??? I know wet silage is fine(well not perfect by any means on its own as it has a high water content but if its diet feeder or they are getting meals they will be mad with the thirst, wait till u go with water to them and see how they will go mad for it, Christ sake man get a slurry tanker of water or put a few barrels on a trailer and draw it to them
DanFindy is offline  
07-01-2010, 16:36   #7
MI5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 57
I have 12 dry cows in open slatted shed, on silage alone. I have water supply to a near by shed which is well buried coming into the shed, and I have the pipe coming out of the ground in the shed well insulated plus 2 light bulbs hanging near, to prevent freezing.
So I am filling up the 3 seperate 20gal troughs in the slatted shed feed passage from this supply. With the cold weather, they do for not such an amount of water as they would in normal temps. It's averaging 2 gals a head per day. Silage is baled and one day wilted in good weather.
Then I have one single calved cow, with 2 month old calf sucking her in another shed. She on silage and nuts. Between cow and calf, they easily drink 10 gals a day.
Have a mate with cows in 2 bay double shed. Old shed, fairly low roof compared to modern sheds. Cows drink a lot more water than mine in the open shed. I guess cows in closed shed lose water in hotter environment and some level of perspiration.
MI5 is offline  
07-01-2010, 16:38   #8
Tipp Man
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,992
Wow some way OTT reaction there, cattle not getting nuts can go a fair while without water, especially if the silage is any way moist at all

Some of ours were without water for 6 days so left them to the river and all they did was f##k around, drank barely 2 mouthfuls between them

Having said that a week is about as far as we'd go, you'd want to think about getting some water to them fairly soon, purely because there is no end in sight to this freeze, could easily be another week before it thaws and then there will be breaks in pipes etc

If you can't get animals to a river or stream i'd say get someone to wash out their vacuum tank and draw some to them. Don't worry they are never as thirsty as all their messing about makes you think
Tipp Man is offline  
07-01-2010, 16:43   #9
tedandbetty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 55
thanks

thanks for that MI5 that a lot more useful then name calling as other posters have.
Dan as i said i am not stupid - they are on wet silage and getting no meal what so ever.
and the proof of no dehydration is that i witenssed cows pass water as normal. and i would not bring water to them in a slurry tank as it would be bound to get contaminated. after all would you drink your own crap?
i would rather run them all to a river even if it was more work then a slurry tank of water.

some people should find out the fact and not go presuming i am meal feeding cattle without water.
tedandbetty is offline  
Advertisement
07-01-2010, 16:45   #10
tedandbetty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 55
thanks tipp man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipp Man View Post
Wow some way OTT reaction there, cattle not getting nuts can go a fair while without water, especially if the silage is any way moist at all

Some of ours were without water for 6 days so left them to the river and all they did was f##k around, drank barely 2 mouthfuls between them

Having said that a week is about as far as we'd go, you'd want to think about getting some water to them fairly soon, purely because there is no end in sight to this freeze, could easily be another week before it thaws and then there will be breaks in pipes etc

If you can't get animals to a river or stream i'd say get someone to wash out their vacuum tank and draw some to them. Don't worry they are never as thirsty as all their messing about makes you think
thanks Tipp man now that more of the answer i wanted.
tedandbetty is offline  
07-01-2010, 16:48   #11
Tipp Man
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedandbetty View Post
thanks for that MI5 that a lot more useful then name calling as other posters have.
Dan as i said i am not stupid - they are on wet silage and getting no meal what so ever.
and the proof of no dehydration is that i witenssed cows pass water as normal. and i would not bring water to them in a slurry tank as it would be bound to get contaminated. after all would you drink your own crap?
i would rather run them all to a river even if it was more work then a slurry tank of water.

some people should find out the fact and not go presuming i am meal feeding cattle without water.
If the tanker is washed out properly then its not a problem, we regularly do this during the summer when the council turn off the water because they haven't spent a penny on it in 25 years. The tanker just needs a good was

I wouldn't drink my own urine but you'd often see cows do it
Tipp Man is offline  
07-01-2010, 18:39   #12
greysides
Moderator
 
greysides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: No snowflakes down here.
Posts: 1,741
Sounds like a use for a disused bulk tank.
greysides is offline  
07-01-2010, 21:46   #13
mossfort
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 602
were using an ibc tank on the front loader.
we just fill it with a tap and put some troughs in front of the barriers.
you just have to drive along and open the valve to release the water and just turn the ibc around to do the other side .
its a very quick way of doing the job.
mossfort is offline  
07-01-2010, 21:52   #14
twincamman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 337
just take up a few drums or barrels or whatever you have full of water.and fill there tank .no more about it.
twincamman is offline  
Thanks from:
07-01-2010, 22:34   #15
maidhc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 6,892
Sorted water for our cattle yesterday. It was their first time drinking since friday night and they drank so little it made me wonder was it worth my while. They are only on baled silage, and some of the stuff they are getting is a little wet.

There is a bit on it in todays farmers journal. Basically it seemed to say if you are stuck just feed silage, not ration and definately not molasses.
maidhc is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet