Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google in hot water over "Michelle Obama" image search results

• 25-11-2009 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Google appear to be in trouble over This, but a spokesman says Google have no control over what a search engine turns up.

http://searchengineland.com/offensive-michelle-obama-image-returns-google-buys-ad-30381

from article
    “Sometimes Google search results from the Internet can include disturbing content, even from innocuous queries. We assure you that the views expressed by such sites are not in any way endorsed by Google.

Search engines are a reflection of the content and information that is available on the Internet. A site’s ranking in Google’s search results relies heavily on computer algorithms using thousands of factors to calculate a page’s relevance to a given query.

The beliefs and preferences of those who work at Google, as well as the opinions of the general public, do not determine or impact our search results.”

I'd hate to be the person in Google left to deal with this one :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lol

I love how one of the sponsored links is "Offensive Search Results"

"Sometimes our search results can be offensive. We agree. Read more."

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Thats very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Haha, good luck with that, Barack.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Haha, good luck with that, Barack.

Imagine Obama rolling up in the Chevvy in Moyross for a visit. I'd pay good money to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I just did the search there via the link (safe search off) and I can't see anything offensive. Have the sites with the images been taken down or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

no u need to have it on moderate results to show the insulting images!! weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Don't see the problem myself

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

She's looking well !

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Post the iomage here I can't find it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

jayteecork wrote: »
    Post the iomage here I can't find it at all.
    It's not pretty, have you had your breakfast yet?

Saibh wrote: »

Yes.

Pm me the link please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Saibh wrote: »

It has racist undertones. Linking to it from here would be close to endorsing it.

Just click on the link in the OP's post and switch to 'Moderate' Search .. it's the first photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I wouldn't mind being in hot water giving Google a Michelle obama.

No wait, I've clearly messed that up.

Oh I see.

An ape.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You had the same problems of 'Google-Bombing' when Bush was in office.

Computers were set to run programs which repeatedly hit certain links, to rank them higher in Google's system. Of course, these links were not complimentary to the subject.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Wow..
    Talk about land of the free..

It's an embarrassing picture of somebody who lives in the public eye posted on the internet...
    Stop the Fúcking presses!!

Abuse of power and infringement of free information tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Its a horrible photo, actually made me jump out of my skin a bit when I first saw it but they can't remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah yes I see what the racists have done there.

Knuckle Dragging Troglodytes 1 - Michelle Obama 0

(Aggregate Score: KDT 1 - M. Obama 9,999)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Who cares,become in public view expect ridicule, bring back spitting images :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

funny that....

shqipshume wrote: »
    Who cares,become in public view expect ridicule, bring back spitting images :D

It was called Spitting Image, not Spitting Images.

Also Spitting Image didn't run racist caricatures of prominent figures.

But then again this is Ireland we're in so I suppose the "Ha! Ha! Black people are monkeys" attitude is tolerated here is it? F*cking moronic assh*les that inhabit this country make me want to puke up a lung sometimes.

That sort of ignorant sh*te is always followed by "Sure I'm only having a laugh! Lighten up" :rolleyes: Racist idiots.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It was called Spitting Image, not Spitting Images.

Also Spitting Image didn't run racist caricatures of prominent figures.

Oh sue me for the s :(:D
    Same thing :D Insulting images ;)

Oh sue me for the s :(:D
    Same thing :D Insulting images ;)

Insulting and Racist aren't the same thing.

Maybe you should go and purchase a dictionary. You might have heard of them. They're big books with lots of words in bold followed by more words that teach you what the words in bold mean.

There's a little project for you.... go find yourself a dictionary. Good lad.

Maybe you should go and purchase a dictionary. You might have heard of them. They're big books with lots of words in bold followed by more words that teach you what the words in bold mean.

Why do you care what they do about her :rolleyes: Like she is anything to you.
    Woman thanks ;)
    Insulting and racism same thing to me both are equally as bad as other but who cares.Stop their whinging and get on with life.:D

Insulting and racism same thing to me both are equally as bad as other.

Racism and an insulting comment are the same thing to you?

Really?

So if my black girlfriend was called a 'f*cking n*gger' on the street and I was called a 'baldy f*cker' you would think those two insults were exactly the same and there's no difference between them?

Really? That's what you'd honestly think?

This sort of tolerance for casual racism is the sort of sh*te I'm going on about. You don't see a difference therefore you'd happily engage in racism and say 'stop your whinging and get on with life' if someone complains. But throw in a smiley face cause that makes it ok?

That's pathetic. It really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Why do you care what they do about her :rolleyes: Like she is anything to you.
    Woman thanks ;)
    Insulting and racism same thing to me both are equally as bad as other but who cares.Stop their whinging and get on with life.:D

Its no way the same thing for a million different reasons. And that image is disgusting and I don't see how Michelle Obama could be classed as whining about it. That image is an example of the pure hatred some people have for Africans, do you think someone just did it because she was in the public eye. They did it because she is in the public eye and black.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

jaysus...bad day?

Racism and an insulting comment are the same thing to you?

Really?

So if my black girlfriend was called a 'f*cking n*gger' on the street and I was called a 'baldy f*cker' you would think those two insults were exactly the same and there's no difference between them?

Really? That's what you'd honestly think?

This sort of tolerance for casual racism is the sort of sh*te I'm going on about. You don't see a difference therefore you'd happily engage in racism and say 'stop your whinging and get on with life' if someone complains. But throw in a smiley face cause that makes it ok?

That's pathetic. It really is.

Oh please any form of insult is the same,its insulting a person just because they didn't add in you pale faced balding whatever still same :rolleyes:

Throw that at someone who wasn't best friends with a black girl all her life and didn't defend her from comments such a black slut by Irish guys before political correctness came about :rolleyes:,

• Advertisement

Oh please any form of insult is the same,its insulting a person just because they didn't add in you pale faced balding whatever still same :rolleyes:

Throw that at someone who wasn't best friends with a black girl all her life and didn't defend her from comments such a black slut by Irish guys before political correctness came about :rolleyes:,

I'm sure she'd love to hear you found that picture of Michelle Obama so funny. Go tell her and see if she's agrees with you.

Advertisement