Learning Finnish thread - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-09-2009, 13:19   #31
mmmmmmm.......

Originally Posted by tnethacker
Hey mates.

Learning the bloody Finnish language is not that difficult as you just pronounce the words and letters as you would pronounce Gaelic (Remember? It's the language you're suppose to speak).

If you guys have any difficulties learning, just ask me anything and ill hit it with the answers

Ps. Learning Gaelic is not that difficult as i have learned to pronounce it correctly just after few months of passive learning.

"That's very true, I've found having a good knowledge of Irish has been a big help espically with the sounds of the letters."

funny because i found having irish helped me learn swedish better!!!strange!
Advertisement
25-09-2009, 18:21   #32
abceire
Closed Account

i had a go

i had a go too, my ex was finnish, i even moved to finland used to live in lahti, afraid i only lasted or we only lasted 3 1/2 months once i moved there,she lived here for 2 years and spoke perfect english
i did enjoy trying to learn it,i had a learn finnish cd which i used to listen to in the car,i learnt how to count, i learnt how to tell time in finnish,days of the week,months of the years
its ment to be the 2nd hardiest language in the world to learn, but i think it helps if you learn the alpabet,(need to learn english)theres no silent letters or anything so it you know alfabet you should be able to read out any word,i liked learning a new sentence and then suprising my ex gfs parents ,i worked with all finns which helped me learn,i m amazed how great english finns speak,
i also think finnish girls are hot, and nice personalities
so any finnish girls in ireland who want to have irish bf give me a shout, i d loved finland, such nice summers,such dry climate,no drug addicts, so much nature, i miss sausage soup and summer cottage,lakes to swim in and lovely finnish ladies
25-09-2009, 18:25   #33
abceire
Closed Account

oh and

can we all meet up and speak our bad finnish, i m starting to forget my words i ve learnt, and i might not get to speak any until the finnish irish xmas fair in town in december , they sell lots of finnish foods and have a carol service mass in finnish
20-10-2009, 15:10   #34
mickc

Has anyone taken any classes or online courses?

any recommendations? am in galway

thanks
27-10-2009, 04:31   #35
Aard

Quote:
Originally Posted by abceire View Post
can we all meet up and speak our bad finnish, i m starting to forget my words i ve learnt, and i might not get to speak any until the finnish irish xmas fair in town in december , they sell lots of finnish foods and have a carol service mass in finnish
Can you tell me when and where this is on? I'd be very interested in sampling some Finnish food .
Advertisement
27-10-2009, 12:00   #36
abceire
Closed Account

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
Can you tell me when and where this is on? I'd be very interested in sampling some Finnish food .
heres the site you should be able to find the date, its nice friendly atmosphere,and you get to see nearly every finn in dublin haha
http://www.irfinsoc.com/centere.html

this is another good site for anyone thinking of moving to finland,lots of helpful people
http://www.finlandforum.org/
Thanks from:
17-11-2009, 16:29   #37
deman

Send a message via MSN to deman Send a message via Yahoo to deman Send a message via Skype™ to deman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmmmm....... View Post
Originally Posted by tnethacker
Hey mates.

Learning the bloody Finnish language is not that difficult as you just pronounce the words and letters as you would pronounce Gaelic (Remember? It's the language you're suppose to speak).

If you guys have any difficulties learning, just ask me anything and I'll hit it with the answers

PS Learning Gaelic is not that difficult as i have learned to pronounce it correctly just after few months of passive learning.

"That's very true, I've found having a good knowledge of Irish has been a big help especially with the sounds of the letters."

Funny because I found having Irish helped me learn Swedish better!!! Strange!
I certainly hope that your Irish and Finnish are better than your English.

But I don't agree with you. Finnish is a phonetic language where Irish is anything but. Irish has a huge amount of irregular sounds where Finnish doesn't. So to compare the pronunciation of these languages is ridiculous.

Therefore, the pronunciation of Finnish is the easiest part of the language as it's phonetic.

Last edited by deman; 18-11-2009 at 15:38.
19-11-2009, 15:51   #38
Sephiroth_dude
One Winged Angel

Would finnish be harder to learn than say russian,czech,polish?
19-11-2009, 16:07   #39
Aard

I don't know about difficulty, as I know none of the languages you mentioned above. However, Finnish is a member of a completely different language family (Uralic - related, eg, to Hungarian) to those Slavic languages (Indo-European - related to Germanic, Romance, and Celtic languages, Greek, Hindi, and many others). It is generally thought that languages within the same language family are easier to learn. I've studied Japanese, myself, and thought that it was easier than French - it's like learning with a clean slate!

If you're in any way "good" at languages, there is no reason why Finnish should be harder to learn than Russian, Czech, or Polish. Indeed, going by the number of entries in Finnish in Wiktionary, there may well be even more resources online for it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-11-2009, 16:38   #40
suomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
I don't know about difficulty, as I know none of the languages you mentioned above. However, Finnish is a member of a completely different language family (Uralic - related, eg, to Hungarian) to those Slavic languages (Indo-European - related to Germanic, Romance, and Celtic languages, Greek, Hindi, and many others). It is generally thought that languages within the same language family are easier to learn. I've studied Japanese, myself, and thought that it was easier than French - it's like learning with a clean slate!

If you're in any way "good" at languages, there is no reason why Finnish should be harder to learn than Russian, Czech, or Polish. Indeed, going by the number of entries in Finnish in Wiktionary, there may well be even more resources online for it.
I agree, Finnish and Russian are completely different. I know people who speak Russian and they say it's pretty easy to learn so I'd say Finnish is harder to learn. But Finnish is just like any other language, it's easy once you get the hang of it.

I think one thing that makes it so difficult and different is that we don't have a lot of prepositions, we use suffixes or whatever they're called. For example, "to a house, in a house, from a house" would translate as "taloon, talossa, talosta". But still, Finnish is just like any other language, once you learn the basic stuff the rest should be easy. Plus the pronunciation is really easy, there shouldn't be any problems learning to actually speak Finnish, it's just the grammar part that's a bit tricky.
Thanks from:
25-11-2009, 20:46   #41
deman

Send a message via MSN to deman Send a message via Yahoo to deman Send a message via Skype™ to deman
And it's a logical language, not like English.

The only "illogical" area that I have come across is the -sta(ä) vs -lta(ä) and -ssa(ä) vs -lla(ä). Nobody has ever been able to explain to me why I cannot say "Minä olen Tamperessa" and I should say "Minä olen Tamperella". I normally can guess which is right though.... at the second attempt usually
26-11-2009, 13:14   #42
suomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deman View Post
And it's a logical language, not like English.

The only "illogical" area that I have come across is the -sta(ä) vs -lta(ä) and -ssa(ä) vs -lla(ä). Nobody has ever been able to explain to me why I cannot say "Minä olen Tamperessa" and I should say "Minä olen Tamperella". I normally can guess which is right though.... at the second attempt usually
Oh yeah, sometimes even I have problems with those and I'm Finnish! They're completely illogical, you just have to remember which version is the right one. Though most of the cities and countries are -ssa or -ssä so you're more likely to get it right if you just don't use the -lla or -llä at all. Oh, if the city has some kind of a nature-related word in it, like -järvi, -niemi, -lahti, -koski, it's always -lla or -llä. Like "Saarijärvellä" or "Rovaniemellä".
26-11-2009, 18:35   #43
abceire
Closed Account

when?

anyone know when the finnish irish society things is on? i ll skip the christmas songs this year and just get me some sausages for sausage soup
26-11-2009, 19:55   #44
deman

Quote:
Originally Posted by abceire View Post
anyone know when the finnish irish society things is on? i ll skip the christmas songs this year and just get me some sausages for sausage soup
Do you mean the Irish Finnish Society or the Finnish Irish Society? There is a difference.

**edit**

And please abceire, as this is a language forum, try to use punctuation.

Last edited by deman; 26-11-2009 at 19:59.
27-11-2009, 17:26   #45
abceire
Closed Account

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by deman View Post
Do you mean the Irish Finnish Society or the Finnish Irish Society? There is a difference.

**edit**

And please abceire, as this is a language forum, try to use punctuation.
I am not so sure which one I mean. I know were it is and all but not sure of the name, it is always on a sunday I know that for sure.
Sorry for the teenage typing, years of none office work.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion