Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red upper arms (keratosis)

• 16-09-2009 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Yes, maybe I could have a flatter stomach, maybe I could have a tighter ass, maybe I could be 2inches taller and 2 dress sizes smaller...but I'm fine with all that, because that's me.

What does bug me are my upper arms. They are a bit red and blotchy and occasionally I get these little spots/ bumps along the outside of my upper arm. GP reckons it could be keratosis (pilaris?) and that there is nothing to be done. By gently exfoliating I've gotten rid of most of the bumps, and my skin is actually quite smooth now. I've seen cases where the condition is a lot worse, so I consider myself relatively lucky.

The red blotches, however, are refusing to go. I have quite sensitive skin, which probably doesn't help matters. I've been using cocoa butter for about 2 years now and that seems to be the moisturiser that helps the most. But it doesn't clear it up completely! I've also tried Eucerin 10% and Bio-Oil.

Does anyone else here have a similar condition....or found a miracle cure? Or at least a devious way to disguise it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Yes, maybe I could have a flatter stomach, maybe I could have a tighter ass, maybe I could be 2inches taller and 2 dress sizes smaller...but I'm fine with all that, because that's me.

What does bug me are my upper arms. They are a bit red and blotchy and occasionally I get these little spots/ bumps along the outside of my upper arm. GP reckons it could be keratosis (pilaris?) and that there is nothing to be done. By gently exfoliating I've gotten rid of most of the bumps, and my skin is actually quite smooth now. I've seen cases where the condition is a lot worse, so I consider myself relatively lucky.

The red blotches, however, are refusing to go. I have quite sensitive skin, which probably doesn't help matters. I've been using cocoa butter for about 2 years now and that seems to be the moisturiser that helps the most. But it doesn't clear it up completely! I've also tried Eucerin 10% and Bio-Oil.

Does anyone else here have a similar condition....or found a miracle cure? Or at least a devious way to disguise it?

I've got similar. If you have sensitive skin then unfortunately its just another lovely little side effect!

Mine is like circulation blotches and I find the only way to cover it is with make up. If you are going out of course. The rest of the time I just live with it!

That Sally Henson stuff for your legs is a good cover up!

As for getting rid of it, I don't think we can. I have pale translucent skin, so I think essentially its just due to being a bit 'see through' PAH !

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

I used to have this and I found just using regular skin scrubs got rid of it. I especially like the Aqua Mirabilis (sp?) bar in Lush. Eucerin do a cream that's meant to be great for keratosis as well. Here's a link to a review. Hope it helps!

http://beaut.ie/blog/?p=4540

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

As for getting rid of it, I don't think we can. I have pale translucent skin, so I think essentially its just due to being a bit 'see through' PAH !

I have pale skin too (my legs look blue at the beginning of the summer when they come out of hibernation:rolleyes:). I've tried using a light fake tan, just to even skin tone. It works a bit. I've even tried green coloured moisturisers/ skin tone correctors. More fuss than they are worth to be honest. I have no problem with wearing short sleeves. It's just for special occasions I wish there was something I could do to clear it up!
    zzxx wrote: »
    I used to have this and I found just using regular skin scrubs got rid of it. I especially like the Aqua Mirabilis (sp?) bar in Lush. Eucerin do a cream that's meant to be great for keratosis as well. Here's a link to a review. Hope it helps!
    Yup, that's the Eucerin cream I tried. Didn't really do anything for me. I bought it because I read that same review!:P I've found recently that my skin is getting very sensitive, and since most of the bumps are gone I've cut back on the exfolitating. I do love Burts Bees citrus body scrub. Yumm!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Try "buffy the backside slayer" from lush. I know it's supposed to be for cellulite etc but it does wonders for evening out skintone on the tops of my arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Try "buffy the backside slayer" from lush. I know it's supposed to be for cellulite etc but it does wonders for evening out skintone on the tops of my arms.

was consideing getting some of that,is it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Omnomnom

I have the exact same thing. I diagnosed myself using wikipedia:pac: I use brown sugar + olive oil mixed together(and vanilla essence for smell) on my arms. It exfoliates them a little and when i continue to do it quite regularly the red pimples seem to go down. Ive had them since i was young and apparantly they fade as you get older so don't worry too much:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

was consideing getting some of that,is it worth it?
    Well it works for me, but thats no guarantee really. I suppose try it after you've tried the tip below VVV because that works too and feels so luxurious.
    Omnomnom wrote: »
    I have the exact same thing. I diagnosed myself using wikipedia:pac: I use brown sugar + olive oil mixed together(and vanilla essence for smell) on my arms. It exfoliates them a little and when i continue to do it quite regularly the red pimples seem to go down. Ive had them since i was young and apparantly they fade as you get older so don't worry too much:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

I had these too.
    I use this lush stuff https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=108&category_id=494&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1 and bio oil afterwards. its cleared them right up.

I hurt my left hand recently and couldn't put this stuff on my upper right arm for a week or two and the spots/redness came back. Mad stuff altogether. So they definitely work.

Omnomnom wrote: »

I like the idea of using something natural! That's great news about it fading with age.
    Omnomnom, do you only get redness around the spots or do you get redness when the spots are gone too? My arms aren't too bumpy at the moment, but still quite red:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

I read somewhere that Lush do a great moisturiser called Dream Cream which comes in a tub and is meant to be AMAZING at eliminating KP, eczema and other skin conditions.

https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=332&category_id=490&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80

• Advertisement

I read somewhere that Lush do a great moisturiser called Dream Cream which comes in a tub and is meant to be AMAZING at eliminating KP, eczema and other skin conditions.

https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=332&category_id=490&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80

Sounds like a miracle cream! And it has cocoa butter in it which seems to work for me...I forsee a trip to Lush in my future! Though I should probably leave the credit card at home;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

The Lush stuff mentioned above is great, but I absolutely love the St. Ives scrub for this, it works really well! :) It's only a few euro methinks and it lasts a good while.

Just tried the brown sugar and olive oil scrub. I think I'm in love!! My skin felt sooo nice afterwards. I wasn't running to put moisturiser on as I usually do. My skin didn't start feeling tight at all. I'm going to keep doing this, and using Palmer's cocoa butter and bio oil. I'm going to a friend's wedding in a few weeks so hopefully this trio will work wonders!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Just tried the brown sugar and olive oil scrub. I think I'm in love!! My skin felt sooo nice afterwards. I wasn't running to put moisturiser on as I usually do. My skin didn't start feeling tight at all. I'm going to keep doing this, and using Palmer's cocoa butter and bio oil. I'm going to a friend's wedding in a few weeks so hopefully this trio will work wonders!:)

I suffer from "blotchy arm symdrome" too so keep us updated on it's effectiveness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Is it itchy patches on the upper arms that come up like teeny tiny rashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I can get this and I've seen a lot of girls with this on their arms.

I think giving your arms a good scrub (although mine is so sensitive I've loads of broken veins now! :( ) and then moisturising well helps. I have those body gloves and they work great!

When I go out to even out my skin tone I use MAC face & body and it does the trick.

Orlee wrote: »
    I suffer from "blotchy arm symdrome" too so keep us updated on it's effectiveness!

Will do! I'll have to stay focused and not let all my good intentions slip. With a wedding to go to it should keep me motivated:)
    Linguo wrote: »
    Is it itchy patches on the upper arms that come up like teeny tiny rashes?

It doesn't itch at all. It looks like heat rash/ sun damage and occasionally gets a bit dry and uncomfortable. But no itchiness...thank god!
    Larianne wrote: »
    When I go out to even out my skin tone I use MAC face & body and it does the trick.

I actually went to buy this and they didn't have my shade in stock! Next time I'm buying make up I think I'm going to try it. I sometimes mix my foundation with moisturiser and use that on my arms. It normally doesn't bother me, but when I know my red blotchy arms are going to feature in a photo someone will have hanging on their wall for the next 50 years it gets me scrambling for the latest miracle cure:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I must have something else so, thought this might be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I've heard that citric acid on the effected area is great for clearing up those bumps and blotches.
    Just be careful what you use before and after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

Hi everyone,

Sounds like you've found a few cures yourself. I tried the eucerin creams after reading some similar posts. I actually found it didn't work on me - moisturising the area seems to make mine worse.

However, I started using one of those exfoliating mitts in the shower and REALLY SCRUBBING the areas every time I shower - i.e. every day pretty much. And I am delighted to say it has cleared!!!! :-)

In the past I had tried exfoliating, but never EVERY DAY - and this seems to be the Key thing - don't leave it for more than a few days between times.

I've had this problem since I can remember and can't believe I didn't try this sooner.

I hope this works for some of you too :-) Now I am happy to go out in sleeveless outfits without worrying xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭SubrbanOblivion

Ugh..Btdt! It's KP, and the key to keeping it under control is finding the right balance of exfoliating and moisturizing.

What worked for me was using a sea sponge loofah. They don't last forever and I need to get a new one, but it did the trick when I was using it :)

Have to say, the trio of brown sugar and olive oil as a scrub, bio oil and Palmer's body butter seem to be doing the trick at keeping the redness at bay. I've been using them for a few months now and not messing about with anything else. My arms are still a bit blotchy, particularly in the cold and when my skin gets dry, but they're much better than they were before. I've also found that toning the muscles of my upper arms helps tone the skin. Might be just better blood flow or an optical illusion or something, but it does seem to help ;)

Advertisement