Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
31-08-2009, 20:58   #1
FearDark
Banned
 
FearDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hungover in a ditch
Posts: 9,085
Send a message via MSN to FearDark
Alpacas?

Can you buy them as pets?
Where can you buy them in Ireland?
Any specail laws I should know about regaurding them?
FearDark is offline  
Advertisement
31-08-2009, 21:09   #2
star-pants
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,536
Not being smart but why do you want an Alpaca?
Do you have room / time to care for it? Have you researched them?

http://www.alpacaseller.com/info/irbreederlist.php
http://www.owning-alpaca.com/index.html
http://www.alpacasofireland.com/about%20us.htm
star-pants is offline  
31-08-2009, 21:16   #3
FearDark
Banned
 
FearDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hungover in a ditch
Posts: 9,085
Send a message via MSN to FearDark
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-pants View Post
Not being smart but why do you want an Alpaca?
Do you have room / time to care for it? Have you researched them?

http://www.alpacaseller.com/info/irbreederlist.php
http://www.owning-alpaca.com/index.html
http://www.alpacasofireland.com/about%20us.htm
I didnt come here saying Im going getting one, Im not in the position to get one at all, Im meerly enquiring. I have researched them but as researching anything to do with alpacas in Ireland im drawing a blank unless I want to farm them, which of course I dont want to do.
FearDark is offline  
31-08-2009, 21:31   #4
ian_m
Registered User
 
ian_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 1,216


They are very cool.
ian_m is offline  
31-08-2009, 21:33   #5
star-pants
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearDark View Post
I didnt come here saying Im going getting one, Im not in the position to get one at all, Im meerly enquiring. I have researched them but as researching anything to do with alpacas in Ireland im drawing a blank unless I want to farm them, which of course I dont want to do.
Well the links I put up there should give you some information. I couldn't find specific laws on Alpacas in Ireland, but there's breeding information/where you'd get one etc in the links
star-pants is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-08-2009, 21:34   #6
FearDark
Banned
 
FearDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hungover in a ditch
Posts: 9,085
Send a message via MSN to FearDark
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_m View Post
They are very cool.
Yes they are, we saw some yesterday in Coolwood farm in Killarney and they were just the coolest things...! Just wondering is all
FearDark is offline  
31-08-2009, 21:35   #7
FearDark
Banned
 
FearDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hungover in a ditch
Posts: 9,085
Send a message via MSN to FearDark
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-pants View Post
Well the links I put up there should give you some information. I couldn't find specific laws on Alpacas in Ireland, but there's breeding information/where you'd get one etc in the links
That alpacas-in-ireland website was all I could find yesterday but it was down all day and this morning, well its working now and I might be able to get some info from there now.
FearDark is offline  
31-08-2009, 21:59   #8
bionic.laura
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 133
They are very cute, this wesbite has cute pictures and information on alpaca. I don't know if they'd make great pets though. I met a farmer who had some and he said they are curious and come over to you but they aren't so tame. He said they would attack his dogs and also foxes. He keeps them in a field with lambing ewes as they protect the lambs. I have alpaca fleece which I'm spinning on my spinning wheel into wool. They make great fiber producing animals as their hair is very warm and soft.

bionic.laura is offline  
30-06-2011, 09:47   #9
Purrfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Munster
Posts: 2
Just came across this thread.
The Alpaca Association of Ireland will advise on ownership and purchase of alpacas, web site is www.alpaca.ie
2011 national show was in Ennis and there will be a show at Tullamore in august at the national livestock show (14th)
Purrfection is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet