Getting 2nd provisional driving licence - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-07-2009, 18:53   #1
akamossy

Getting 2nd provisional driving licence

I got my 1st provisional 3 years ago and ended up not renewing it straight away after it was up because i was not driving at the time. It's been a year since i should have renewed it, anyone know will i be able to just renew it again straight away or will i have to take the theory test again? Thanks
Advertisement
29-07-2009, 19:12   #2
Permabear

You'll be fine. You can renew, without taking the theory test, as long as your old provisional expired less than 5 years ago.

Btw, provisional licences are no longer being issued; you will now be applying for a learner permit.

Last edited by Permabear; 31-07-2009 at 13:54. Reason: typo
29-07-2009, 19:29   #3
akamossy

Thanks
12-08-2009, 22:43   #4
metoyou

hey just on this issue... my first provisional licence expired in june and i applied for a 2nd one
but yeah got a learner permit... does this mean i have to wait 6 months to sit my test??
ive sat it twice.. and well failed :S !!!
but that was with my provisional licence
ive applied for another test but that was 6 weeks ago and am still waiting on a date... is that because i have a learner permit now??
im confused, and stressed cause my insurance is up at the end of sept and was hoping to take the test and hopefully pass and get lower insurance instead of forking out more than i should be
confusing this i know..
any help would be great!
12-08-2009, 22:57   #5
DriveSkill

The 6 months only applies to the first learner permit, as you've held a provisional licence before this permit would actually be considered a second "licence" so the 6 months does not apply to you.

Good luck with the test.
Advertisement
13-08-2009, 00:26   #6
Permabear

@metoyou -- learner permits replaced provisional licenses in October 2007. But they are more or less the same thing.

As DriveSkill has said, the six-month wait applies only to holders of a first learner permit in certain categories. Because your learner permit replaces a previous provisional, it is considered to be your second rather than your first. And no, you are not waiting any longer on a test because you have a learner permit rather than a provisional license.

In fact, in a couple of months time, all remaining provisional licenses will have expired. Then everybody taking the test will be on a learner permit.
18-08-2009, 16:40   #7
horse7

if i get the test here can i drive in australia,or do i have to do a test for a full lisence in australia.and also if i get a provo lisence in ozzi and pass the test there,can i change it for a full one in ireland.
18-08-2009, 16:59   #8
DriveSkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse7 View Post
if i get the test here can i drive in australia,or do i have to do a test for a full lisence in australia.and also if i get a provo lisence in ozzi and pass the test there,can i change it for a full one in ireland.
If you get a full Australian licence you an convert it to a full Irish Licence when you return.

Not certain that it works the other way but generally speaking these agreements work both ways.

Question is whether you really need to convert an Irish licence to the Australian one - it depends on how long you are going to be in Oz for. If you are only there for a few months and renting cars then your Irish licence would be fine however if you intend buying a car and getting your own insurance out there they may require you to have an Australian Licence.

As you probably know the Irish Learner Permit is not recognised in any way in Oz and equally an Australian Learner Permit (or whatever they may be called) are not valid in Ireland.
18-08-2009, 19:00   #9
horse7

ta,probably one year in ozz,but i think it would be easier to learn over there as over here everyone is up your arse.
Advertisement
18-08-2009, 20:32   #10
Karen09

im on my 2nd licence, first 'learners permit' however this is up in november, iv heard that if u have not booked your test before your second expires that you have to resit the theory test. Any one know if this is true??
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread btw!!

Last edited by Karen09; 18-08-2009 at 20:41.
18-08-2009, 20:50   #11
Permabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen09 View Post
im on my 2nd licence, first 'learners permit' however this is up in november, iv heard that if u have not booked your test before your second expires that you have to resit the theory test. Any one know if this is true??
For all intents and purposes, this is regarded as your second learner permit, because you have previously held a provisional licence.

You will not have to sit your theory test again. But to receive a third or subsequent learner permit, you have to show either (a) proof of an upcoming driving test, in the form of an appointment letter from the RSA, or (b) evidence of having taken and failed a test within the past two years, in the form of a certificate of failure. If you produce (a), you can renew your permit for one year. If you produce (b), you can renew for two years.

You would have to re-sit your theory test only if you had let your learner permit lapse for longer than five years. In that case you would be considered a first-time applicant again.
08-05-2010, 20:06   #12
pittsburgh

sorry for bringing this back up..

but my provisonal is out of date a year, and im looking to get my 2nd prov / leaners permit.

how do i do this? just fill in the form, 2 photos, and the 15euro? and my old license?

do i need to do the eye test again?

thanks
31-08-2010, 17:39   #13
colman1212

Where can I even get the forms to apply for my second provisional!????
01-09-2010, 21:35   #14
jos22

Quote:
Originally Posted by colman1212 View Post
Where can I even get the forms to apply for my second provisional!????
Garda station. it the same form used for the first one expected there is box to tick to say its your second. u need to provide new set of photos and return the current one to them. with the the form

Last edited by jos22; 01-09-2010 at 21:47.
08-09-2010, 13:59   #15
elbitchio

What exactly do you need to renew your Learners Permit
Completed Application form
€15
2 photgraphs
Current learners permit

am I missing anything?

Also, do I return it to the Gardai or my local Motor Tax Office?

Any help much appreciated !

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion