Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oil painting and white spirits

• 28-09-2008 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I've recently started painting in oils and have been using white spirits as a thinner and to clean my brushes. The problem is the stuff gives me awful headaches.
    It doesn't seem very healthy to me to be surrounded by the white spirits odour for long periods of time.

My q. is, is there a better alternative to white spirits?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Jeremiah wrote: »
    I've recently started painting in oils and have been using white spirits as a thinner and to clean my brushes. The problem is the stuff gives me awful headaches.
    It doesn't seem very healthy to me to be surrounded by the white spirits odour for long periods of time.

My q. is, is there a better alternative to white spirits?

Jeremiah, I don't know what the answer is to that other than leaving the window open to allow plenty of air in the room. I had a friend with a similar problem with oils and had to use acrylics instead. I personally don't care for acrylics but they worked for her.

I wouldn't use white spirit as an oil paint thinner though. The standard thing to use is turpentine [preferably artist's quality]. We also used to use the ordinary turpentine for cleaning brushes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Have stuck this in Arts and Crafts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You got to keep the window open.
    Also, turps works faster than white spirit. The cleaning rags will still smell though.
    Put lids on the solvent containers where possible.
    Are you aware of low odour white spirit which evaporates less? Sold under the name Sansodor. Well worth the extra cost if you're working indoors, in fact I'd say it's vital if you're indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You can get odourless spirits, had to buy them when I wanted to use oils in lifedrawing. Otherwise linseed is good for thinning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jennifer art

sansour is brilliant and you can get it cheaper in B and Q than conventional art shops.

other wise try linseed, but it does take ages to dry

failing that keep the window, wide open and take frequent breaks. Avoid turps, Although it produces better results, it produces worse headaches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jennifer art

The Raven. wrote: »
    Jeremiah, I don't know what the answer is to that other than leaving the window open to allow plenty of air in the room. I had a friend with a similar problem with oils and had to use acrylics instead. I personally don't care for acrylics but they worked for her.

I wouldn't use white spirit as an oil paint thinner though. The standard thing to use is turpentine [preferably artist's quality]. We also used to use the ordinary turpentine for cleaning brushes etc.

have ya tried Liquin. I forgot to mention if ya keep the lids on your jars as much as poss it helps. You could try using tissue instead of Rags as rags also smell because one tends to hang on to them longer than kitchen roll. I think they contibute nearly as much to the smell in fact.
    I reccomend my students in IADT dun laoirghaire and In Galway to use Sansour

Advertisement