Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue Fee? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-03-2008, 18:24   #1
LadyTBolt

Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue Fee?

If you have been rescued by the Coast Guard Helicopter Emergency Services do you have to pay a fee? Would be interested to know if there is a charge and how much it would be? Any insight would be appreciated. I'm not planning anything but just curious.
Advertisement
23-03-2008, 13:55   #2
here.there

I know if they do an air ambulance run between hospitals or off an island etc they charge a fee and its big money but I don't know about a rescue from a boat / sea
23-03-2008, 17:57   #3
Tango Alpha 51

If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to be rescued by the chopper, you can relax, you won't get a bill. The lads in the chopper / the company that provide the service are on an annual retainer from the Government. Whether they do 1 call or 1,000 calls in the year, it doesn't matter, they get paid the same. Much the same as when an ambulance comes for you, you don't get billed off us either.
23-03-2008, 20:14   #4
LadyTBolt

Thanks for that Buzzman...

Phew, that's a relief. My partner was rescued over the weekend and I was wondering if we were to expect a bill. Not that I mind as there is no price on a life but just so I could budget for it. Thanks Again!!!
23-03-2008, 20:20   #5
CLADA

Glad to hear your happy ending, don't forget the RNLI do great work and depend on donations...(hint)
Advertisement
24-03-2008, 10:26   #6
BeardyGit
Closed Account

Actually, while you won't face a bill, it doesn't mean CHC don't get paid extra for the job. The contract they have to provide helo's to the coastguard involves some fixed charges for parts of the contract, plus a 'per hour' charge for actual airtime when one of their helicopters is on a live shout.

This charge was in the region of €6500 per hour last time I was speaking with a CHC pilot about this. That bill is paid for by the coastguard on behalf of the government/taxpayer etc. When the RNLI/Mountain Rescue etc call upon the coastguard to task their helicopter rescource on an operation, the coastguard will oblige if it's available, and pick up the tab....
24-03-2008, 22:14   #7
here.there

I remember talking to a doctor in Sligo before and he said if they have to use the Coastguard helicopter to get a sick person off an island or down the country the charge was around 5000 euro or so to the hospital. Not sure if thats passed on to the patient or not with VHI etc. Must be free for a sea rescue I suppose
25-03-2008, 01:46   #8
Fyr.Fytr

Hmm strange one, think at sea it would be recovered through insurance, like commercial fire charges etc
19-06-2009, 10:22   #9
Decieboy

Bill for Ambulance Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to be rescued by the chopper, you can relax, you won't get a bill. The lads in the chopper / the company that provide the service are on an annual retainer from the Government. Whether they do 1 call or 1,000 calls in the year, it doesn't matter, they get paid the same. Much the same as when an ambulance comes for you, you don't get billed off us either.
I realise that this is a quote from last year but wonder if it is still relevant today. I took ill at Cork Airport in January and airport staff called for an ambulance that took me to A&E at the South Infirmary Hospital. I was not admitted however and released later that night having been given the all-clear. I subsequently paid my 100 euro A&E bill as I am not a medical card holder. I was therefore surprised this week to receive a bill for 87 euro from the HSE Ambulance Service for use of their ambulance. Does anyone know if I am obliged to pay for this service even though I did not request it?

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion