Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-06-2009, 13:16   #16
donothoponpop
Closed Account

If you're paying a hefty entry fee for a prestige race, then a good tech T is great, with the event logo on it. I *HATE* race T's that cover themselves in advertising logos- Dublin Marathon's got a great long-sleeved tech top, with a nice "Finisher" design, but they cover the back of it with logos of about a dozen sponsors, which just cheapens it. It's a commemorative top for the event, not an advertising space!
Advertisement
17-06-2009, 13:21   #17
plodder

Another option is to do a "Michael O'Leary" on it, and just charge extra for the optional items, like the technical T, the race medal (I really don't need any more Dublin marathon medals), the goody bag even. That would help to keep the price down for people who don't want this stuff.
17-06-2009, 13:38   #18
theFinishLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shels4ever View Post
I do a good few races that are only €5 with loads of team and cake after, That does the job for me.
"team and cake after"? don't tell me that after race they eat one of the slower teams a mug of tea or coffee would be more down my street
17-06-2009, 14:08   #19
RICHIE-RICH

Quote:
Originally Posted by plodder View Post
Another option is to do a "Michael O'Leary" on it, and just charge extra for the optional items, like the technical T, the race medal (I really don't need any more Dublin marathon medals), the goody bag even. That would help to keep the price down for people who don't want this stuff.
I agree with this idea, but practially, it may be a huge overhead. How will you determine those finishers who didn't paid for a medal and then want one once they are finished, or those who didn't want a medal when they registered, but do once they are finished?

Perhaps having two levels of entry- one for entry only, and one for entry plus goody bag (with t-shirt, drink bottle, energy gels or whatever).

I think the Amsterdam marathon do something whereby the half marathoner pay the half entry fee of €22, and for €20 extra (or similar) you get the technical t-shirt that the full marathoners get for the full entry fee (around €55).

This isn't practical for some races, but in ones such as the connemarathon, it would be fairly easy to implement, with its multiple events on the same day.

Any organisers with any opnions out there?
17-06-2009, 14:25   #20
Bambaata

i like a good t-shirt and if its a priecy event it needs to be a technical one. I like them to remind me of the actual race. I've loads that i use training and can always do with more.
Advertisement
17-06-2009, 14:26   #21
AJCOT

A technical tee is the zenith but like Woddle said earlier the lucozade sport, banana & bar in Dunboyne last night takes some beating. Did anyone ever get a feedback form in your goodie bag?
17-06-2009, 14:30   #22
Stark

Send a message via AIM to Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by donothoponpop View Post
If you're paying a hefty entry fee for a prestige race, then a good tech T is great, with the event logo on it. I *HATE* race T's that cover themselves in advertising logos- Dublin Marathon's got a great long-sleeved tech top, with a nice "Finisher" design, but they cover the back of it with logos of about a dozen sponsors, which just cheapens it. It's a commemorative top for the event, not an advertising space!
Yes this is why I don't wear my Adidas race series t-shirts. I look like a bloody billboard wearing them.
17-06-2009, 14:52   #23
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
I don't mind the Adidas ones with the ads on the back actually. If that's what it takes to mean I have a good supply of good new t-shirts for running in then so be it. Just annoyed that I'm missing out on collecting this years set.
17-06-2009, 14:55   #24
RJC

A technical Tee is a must. God the Cork City Marathon one was a disgrace. HTF can you get away with that?

The Novartis 5K has a better Tee than that. Cork to Cobh is better.

I treasure the Tee more than the medal as I don't usually go out running with a medal around my neck. The marathon technical Tee IS the badge of honour. that is the reward for the miles.

In Rotterdam the entry was only about €35 -€50 and the Tee is top quality.

All the rest of the stuff is just 20 cent samples donated by reps.
Advertisement
17-06-2009, 15:03   #25
richiemack

I really didn't need the hair gel down at Joey, good job on the haribos though, none of the tris Ive done since have either given goodie bags, or Ive been too late
17-06-2009, 15:21   #26
hawkwing

Personally i don't like the DCM 08 shirt.I prefer the adidas race series ones and preferably last yrs blue half marathon one followed by the white 5 miler from 2007.This yrs Great Ireland was ok but for the price it should be.
17-06-2009, 15:24   #27
plodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIE-RICH View Post
I agree with this idea, but practially, it may be a huge overhead. How will you determine those finishers who didn't paid for a medal and then want one once they are finished, or those who didn't want a medal when they registered, but do once they are finished?

Perhaps having two levels of entry- one for entry only, and one for entry plus goody bag (with t-shirt, drink bottle, energy gels or whatever).
You could do something with the race numbers. Odd numbers for the cheap-skates (like me) who don't want the extras, and even numbers for the others. Or you could print something extra on the race numbers. I agree it would be a hassle though.

What I've found the most frustrating thing about the technical T-shirts, is I never get the right size.
17-06-2009, 15:28   #28
griffin100

Quote:
Oh? Have they said anything more on that? Maybe all the tops are from the same supplier who's causing problems.
Athy said supplier problems were the issue.
Kilcock said the jerseys were stuck in Pakistan. Mine was posted about two weeks ago I have been told but no sign of it yet.
17-06-2009, 15:33   #29
mloc123
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin100 View Post
Athy said supplier problems were the issue.
Kilcock said the jerseys were stuck in Pakistan. Mine was posted about two weeks ago I have been told but no sign of it yet.
Still waiting on mine too.. better have the Skerries one on Sunday.
17-06-2009, 15:33   #30
MrTea

I always thought a decent wrist/sweat band would be a nice cheap, but useful item to get in one of those bags.
Never seen them though. Perfect for merchandising, I would have thought!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion