Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-06-2009, 13:16   #16
donothoponpop
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,532
If you're paying a hefty entry fee for a prestige race, then a good tech T is great, with the event logo on it. I *HATE* race T's that cover themselves in advertising logos- Dublin Marathon's got a great long-sleeved tech top, with a nice "Finisher" design, but they cover the back of it with logos of about a dozen sponsors, which just cheapens it. It's a commemorative top for the event, not an advertising space!
donothoponpop is offline  
Advertisement
17-06-2009, 13:21   #17
plodder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,505
Another option is to do a "Michael O'Leary" on it, and just charge extra for the optional items, like the technical T, the race medal (I really don't need any more Dublin marathon medals), the goody bag even. That would help to keep the price down for people who don't want this stuff.
plodder is offline  
17-06-2009, 13:38   #18
theFinishLine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shels4ever View Post
I do a good few races that are only €5 with loads of team and cake after, That does the job for me.
"team and cake after"? don't tell me that after race they eat one of the slower teams a mug of tea or coffee would be more down my street
theFinishLine is offline  
17-06-2009, 14:08   #19
RICHIE-RICH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by plodder View Post
Another option is to do a "Michael O'Leary" on it, and just charge extra for the optional items, like the technical T, the race medal (I really don't need any more Dublin marathon medals), the goody bag even. That would help to keep the price down for people who don't want this stuff.
I agree with this idea, but practially, it may be a huge overhead. How will you determine those finishers who didn't paid for a medal and then want one once they are finished, or those who didn't want a medal when they registered, but do once they are finished?

Perhaps having two levels of entry- one for entry only, and one for entry plus goody bag (with t-shirt, drink bottle, energy gels or whatever).

I think the Amsterdam marathon do something whereby the half marathoner pay the half entry fee of €22, and for €20 extra (or similar) you get the technical t-shirt that the full marathoners get for the full entry fee (around €55).

This isn't practical for some races, but in ones such as the connemarathon, it would be fairly easy to implement, with its multiple events on the same day.

Any organisers with any opnions out there?
RICHIE-RICH is offline  
17-06-2009, 14:25   #20
Bambaata
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,023
i like a good t-shirt and if its a priecy event it needs to be a technical one. I like them to remind me of the actual race. I've loads that i use training and can always do with more.
Bambaata is online now  
Advertisement
17-06-2009, 14:26   #21
AJCOT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 367
A technical tee is the zenith but like Woddle said earlier the lucozade sport, banana & bar in Dunboyne last night takes some beating. Did anyone ever get a feedback form in your goodie bag?
AJCOT is offline  
17-06-2009, 14:30   #22
Stark
Registered User
 
Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,388
Send a message via AIM to Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by donothoponpop View Post
If you're paying a hefty entry fee for a prestige race, then a good tech T is great, with the event logo on it. I *HATE* race T's that cover themselves in advertising logos- Dublin Marathon's got a great long-sleeved tech top, with a nice "Finisher" design, but they cover the back of it with logos of about a dozen sponsors, which just cheapens it. It's a commemorative top for the event, not an advertising space!
Yes this is why I don't wear my Adidas race series t-shirts. I look like a bloody billboard wearing them.
Stark is offline  
17-06-2009, 14:52   #23
robinph
Moderator
 
robinph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: not Cork
Posts: 14,209
Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
I don't mind the Adidas ones with the ads on the back actually. If that's what it takes to mean I have a good supply of good new t-shirts for running in then so be it. Just annoyed that I'm missing out on collecting this years set.
robinph is offline  
17-06-2009, 14:55   #24
RJC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 387
A technical Tee is a must. God the Cork City Marathon one was a disgrace. HTF can you get away with that?

The Novartis 5K has a better Tee than that. Cork to Cobh is better.


I treasure the Tee more than the medal as I don't usually go out running with a medal around my neck. The marathon technical Tee IS the badge of honour. that is the reward for the miles.


In Rotterdam the entry was only about €35 -€50 and the Tee is top quality.

All the rest of the stuff is just 20 cent samples donated by reps.
RJC is offline  
Advertisement
17-06-2009, 15:03   #25
richiemack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 228
I really didn't need the hair gel down at Joey, good job on the haribos though, none of the tris Ive done since have either given goodie bags, or Ive been too late
richiemack is offline  
17-06-2009, 15:21   #26
hawkwing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: D15 & TS @ weekends
Posts: 1,073
Personally i don't like the DCM 08 shirt.I prefer the adidas race series ones and preferably last yrs blue half marathon one followed by the white 5 miler from 2007.This yrs Great Ireland was ok but for the price it should be.
hawkwing is online now  
17-06-2009, 15:24   #27
plodder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIE-RICH View Post
I agree with this idea, but practially, it may be a huge overhead. How will you determine those finishers who didn't paid for a medal and then want one once they are finished, or those who didn't want a medal when they registered, but do once they are finished?

Perhaps having two levels of entry- one for entry only, and one for entry plus goody bag (with t-shirt, drink bottle, energy gels or whatever).
You could do something with the race numbers. Odd numbers for the cheap-skates (like me) who don't want the extras, and even numbers for the others. Or you could print something extra on the race numbers. I agree it would be a hassle though.

What I've found the most frustrating thing about the technical T-shirts, is I never get the right size.
plodder is offline  
17-06-2009, 15:28   #28
griffin100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Oh? Have they said anything more on that? Maybe all the tops are from the same supplier who's causing problems.
Athy said supplier problems were the issue.
Kilcock said the jerseys were stuck in Pakistan. Mine was posted about two weeks ago I have been told but no sign of it yet.
griffin100 is offline  
17-06-2009, 15:33   #29
mloc123
Subscriber
 
mloc123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin100 View Post
Athy said supplier problems were the issue.
Kilcock said the jerseys were stuck in Pakistan. Mine was posted about two weeks ago I have been told but no sign of it yet.
Still waiting on mine too.. better have the Skerries one on Sunday.
mloc123 is offline  
17-06-2009, 15:33   #30
MrTea
Registered User
 
MrTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 429
I always thought a decent wrist/sweat band would be a nice cheap, but useful item to get in one of those bags.
Never seen them though. Perfect for merchandising, I would have thought!
MrTea is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet