Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-03-2009, 13:15   #16
dowlingm

Victor - can future threads of this nature be locked or moved please? I'm sick and tired of people who admit they're in the wrong seeking to evade the fine, and worse still giving a false address which means some other poor sod is going to get a summons (happened to a mate of mine a while back).
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-03-2009, 19:31   #17
corktina

Do you have to have a ticket to be on the platform? what if you were seeing someone off, or carrying an old ladys suitcase or train spotting?

I would have thought IE would have to prove you intended to travel fraudulently and the way to do that would have been to book you after you boarded the train.(its like a shop-lifter having to leave the premises for there to be proof of intention to commit the offence)
19-03-2009, 20:17   #18
Stark

Send a message via AIM to Stark
Hopping over the ticket stiles or sneaking past the ticket checker at the gate would be proof enough of intention I would think.
19-03-2009, 21:20   #19
lord lucan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
Hopping over the ticket stiles or sneaking past the ticket checker at the gate would be proof enough of intention I would think.
unless the booking office is closed and a side gate is open(common occurence at IE stations.).
19-03-2009, 21:32   #20
corktina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
they would still need proof that he actually did that though surely...if they met him elsewhere on the station they couldnt just assume thats what he did.(obviously he did in this case...)
Advertisement
20-03-2009, 01:07   #21
BrianD
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phegasus View Post
Hi,
I recently got fined 50 euro's for a fare evasion. Not-to-proud about the way I recieved it (it was Paddy's Day and a few beverages were had) and I was in the wrong.
I had apologised profusely and offered to pay for my fare without hassle when approached.
Anyway, your man asked me for ID and took my name and a fake address, issued me with my prize and off I went.
I showed him my passport, so what are the chances I'll be called up on this? Can they use any details from my passport to finger me out?

And one last thing, I had not even approached a train (though I bypassed the turnstyles I think?) before I was issued with the fine.
So in essence I recieved a fine for not having a ticket on IE property?
Well even if they don't catch you, I hope you understand that it's your drunken behaviour that makes public transport an unpleasant and expensive proposition for the rest of us. There is no excuse for your behaviour. In the one post you've admitted to being drunk in a public place, fare evasion and lying to an inspector!

FYI, the Gardai can access data held on you by any party if in the opinion of a member of the Gardaí (not below the rank of Chief Superintendent), the personal data is required for the purpose of safeguarding the security of the State
If the personal data is required for the purpose of preventing, detecting or investigating crime or for arresting or prosecuting offenders

Last edited by BrianD; 20-03-2009 at 01:20.
20-03-2009, 07:35   #22
Terrontress

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIMII View Post
Something similar happened to a guy I know. He got stopped on his way to the Canaries by the airport police at Dublin airport. Gardaí called and he missed his flight. There had been a bench-warrant issued for him.. He still gets slagged over it
I'd have difficulty believing that. Think about flying out from Dublin to anywhere in the EU. When have you shown your passport to anyone other than check in staff?

I agree that the lad has done something wrong but there is no point in lying about it.

Last edited by Terrontress; 20-03-2009 at 08:13.
20-03-2009, 08:25   #23
IIMII

Moi? Everybody does something daft at some stage, I've done plenty of daft things myself - I wouldn't hold that against him - I don't think he was being malicious. But he's storing up a whole load of hassle for himself

By the way, the system does pick up you Passport number so I would imagine it's quite possible to be picked up from you passport number.

Last edited by IIMII; 20-03-2009 at 08:27.
20-03-2009, 12:42   #24
Terrontress

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIMII View Post
Moi? Everybody does something daft at some stage, I've done plenty of daft things myself - I wouldn't hold that against him - I don't think he was being malicious. But he's storing up a whole load of hassle for himself

By the way, the system does pick up you Passport number so I would imagine it's quite possible to be picked up from you passport number.
Yeah for rape and murder. They would hardly detain you on an inter-EU flight for not paying a train fare. It's a civil matter.
Advertisement
22-03-2009, 09:17   #25
swanvill

My advice is pay the fine in the DART office before you get summoned to the district court and have to pay IE costs as well the fine.
23-03-2009, 01:53   #26
Jonathan

Mod: EMS, TCD
What is the official stance on people who have a valid but unreadable ticket hopping the gate?

eg a monthly ticket but the magnetic strip goes.

I'm thinking on the northbound platform (steps, not the ramp) in Pearse if there is no ticket checker present.
23-03-2009, 15:55   #27
MOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccrohan View Post
What is the official stance on people who have a valid but unreadable ticket hopping the gate?

eg a monthly ticket but the magnetic strip goes.

I'm thinking on the northbound platform (steps, not the ramp) in Pearse if there is no ticket checker present.
Under the bye laws, which I'm too lazy to google, it's an offence to board a train or bypass the turnstiles without a valid ticket. If you've got a valid ticket which fails to work due to the shoddy quality of IEs equipment, it's still valid, so you haven't broken that.
On the other hand, you are supposed to validate your ticket before boarding the train, but if you can't due to it/the machine not working, and there's no staff present, I'd imagine they'd have a hard time charging you with anything.
Doesn't mean they wouldn't try though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion