Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Quick Mill Pegaso v Rancilio Silvia 2009

• 30-01-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

Okay, So I have a bit of cash saved since before xmas and was waiting for a great deal on one of these machines. Time is passing and I feel I got to take the plunge soon. In the meantime I've read a review which says the Silvia takes 25-30 mins to heat up in the morning! Is this the same for the Quick Mill Pegaso does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Go with the Silvia.
    Definitely - by the way - like the look of the new 09 version. New portafilter, steam wand and steam knob. It's fairly swish looking, it was always quite good looking.

Two different machines thought, the Pegaso has a built in grinder. That's generally never a good thing by the way, apart from the usually mediocre grinder the beans are sitting in a hot environment, which isn't good.

Silvia and some manner of grinder, and you'll be set. If you need it to come on for your morning coffee, get a cheap mains timer to have it come on 30 mins before you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭donnacha

Just can't get my head around the 30 minute heating. for a morning coffee the timer would work perfectly but during the day it sounds like hassle. I do also love the new look - maybe not as keen on the new rocky grinder with a plastic base.

Do you just leave the silvia on all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

donnacha wrote: »
    Do you just leave the silvia on all day?

I don't have a Silvia, my BrewtusIII takes even longer to heat up than that though (about 40mins). If I want an espresso / cappa before I go to work during the week I use the timer. At the weekend it will often get left on all day. Just requires thinking ahead a little. It's not a big deal really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Unless the 2009 is different my sylvia takes about 10m to heat up. I run a couple of blank shots through the portafilter which also heats the cups and its pretty much ready.

There was a vid somewhere showing this which I'll try to locate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Any links to this new Silvia? - curious to see what the changes are.

Just getting to grips with consistent cappuccinos on the Silvia here after a month, but that's down to the operator, not the tool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

How to get your Silvia ready to brew in five minutes twenty-six seconds

It does work, I've done it many times. However, you are cheating. Espresso isn't really a home-friendly drink. Proper machines are big, heavy, and hot all the time. If you want espresso at home you really just have to get used to the idea of boosting your carbon footprint and increasing your fuel bills.

Once my Wega goes on it stays on.

well 10 minutes - or even 5 minutes is fine.

you can find a pic of the new 2009 model here http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=RASI

Final question then - does anyone know anywhere cheaper than coffeeitalia.co.uk ... its £412 stg with free shipping to Ireland.

This seems like a fair deal - €449 with free shipping. But better make sure it's the new 2009 model they're offering - the pic on the linked page is of the old model.

rockbeer wrote: »
    This seems like a fair deal - €449 with free shipping. But better make sure it's the new 2009 model they're offering - the pic on the linked page is of the old model.

I dunno about the redesigned Silvia - the steam knob is a bit too bling for the industrial look of the machine imo. Maybe the new wand is an improvement, but doesn't it look a bit too long?

• Advertisement

Cheers for the heads up. [Snipped]

Though the espressocoffeeshop looked like an okay deal - has anyone bought from them?

Ristretto coffee actually emailed me today to say they have stocks of the Silvia back in. I might just go with them if they are willing to honour the discount they had online throughout Nov - Jan (when they had no stock in!)

You have be thinking now about this new look ... you could be right about the bling effect. What to do ...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

donnacha wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up. [Snipped]

Though the espressocoffeeshop looked like an okay deal - has anyone bought from them?

Ristretto coffee actually emailed me today to say they have stocks of the Silvia back in. I might just go with them if they are willing to honour the discount they had online throughout Nov - Jan (when they had no stock in!)

You have be thinking now about this new look ... you could be right about the bling effect. What to do ...

Regarding espressocoffeeshop I have a sneaking suspicion that they may be linked with [snipped] but I'm not sure, so exercise caution. They may be entirely separate and a decent company. They are based in Italy. [snipped]

Now, if only I could sort out the world wide recession!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Espressocoffeeshop don't seem to be related to [snipped] as far as whois is concerned:

Registrant:
    Perini, Carlo
    Via ca Boldu 2
    Torreglia 35038
    IT

Domain Name: ESPRESSOCOFFEESHOP.COM

btw - I bought a Silvia and a few other bits and bobs from them before xmas and they were grand to deal with - hassle free - based on that sole transaction I'd buy from them again no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

alastair wrote: »
    Espressocoffeeshop don't seem to be related to [snipped] as far as whois is concerned:

Registrant:
    Perini, Carlo
    Via ca Boldu 2
    Torreglia 35038
    IT

Domain Name: ESPRESSOCOFFEESHOP.COM

btw - I bought a Silvia and a few other bits and bobs from them before xmas and they were grand to deal with - hassle free - based on that sole transaction I'd buy from them again no bother.

Yep, you're right..they don't seem to be related to [snipped]. I have listed below the sites that are operated by the same company as per the ECC legal section;

[snipped]

So beware of these sites also.
    :)

alastair wrote: »
    I dunno about the redesigned Silvia - the steam knob is a bit too bling for the industrial look of the machine imo. Maybe the new wand is an improvement, but doesn't it look a bit too long?

I agree, the new model wouldn't be quite my cup of - er - coffee either, but it's what the op seemed to be after.

Just had my first espresso off my new silvia so a happy man. Ended up doing the deal with Ristretto Coffee. Only issue is that the rocky they delivered is the old model - trying to make my mind up whether I'll return it as the base on the new model appears to be made of plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Congrats, I hope you and Silvia are very happy together :D

Let us know how she "handles", I am very interested as this is the next machine I want to buy.

The silvia runs like a dream.

Possibly the only disappointment is the size of the drip tray as they could have made it to hold a lot more water.

Also for those considering the knock box for grinds and storage - remember to take into account the height of any presses above your counter. Mine is a bit tight and means that to refill the machine I have to move the whole unit.

I'd be interested to know what rocky grind level people use for espresso.

Advertisement