Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-01-2009, 19:37   #16
ActorSeeksJob

Thanks for those links bedlam.

I have to say I really liked the Lacroix Pontos one, any idea how much that is? I think that would definitely be a contender. Same for the Cuervos y sobrinos one, thats pretty much what I was thinking of. The Rado one I think is possibly edging it though, but that may change if I saw those two watches in person.

Quote:
If you still want to buy one - they are about half the price in the Canaries - again,
This brings me onto my next question. Where should I buy the watch ? Like I could be in the Canaries this summer so wouldn't be complaining about waiting till then if it saved me half the price. I am guessing there is a RADO store or some reputable equivalent there...

I will have a look in Dawsons, Sheerans, and Weirs next time I'm in town as well

Whats the difference between quartz and mechanical watches ? Also how do you pronounce RADO ( Ray-Doh ? ). Don't want to sound like an idiot whenever I get it.

Appreciate all the feedback. Glad to see that others have fallen in love with RADO and only got good things to say about it.
Advertisement
20-01-2009, 20:43   #17
bedlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActorSeeksJob View Post
I have to say I really liked the Lacroix Pontos one, any idea how much that is? I think that would definitely be a contender. Same for the Cuervos y sobrinos one, thats pretty much what I was thinking of.
The Pontos I have as a RRP of $3700 last year so assume worst case a direct $ to € conversion before discount (10-15%). A quick search online shows it at around the stg£2100 mark. The Cuervos y Sobrinos is about $3600 (not sure where you'd pick one up in Europe...)

Quote:
This brings me onto my next question. Where should I buy the watch ? Like I could be in the Canaries this summer so wouldn't be complaining about waiting till then if it saved me half the price.
Best thing to do is a little bit of research, go to the local shops here, see what they have, get prices then find local ADs in the Canaries and give them a call / email and ask them for pricing.

Quote:
Whats the difference between quartz and mechanical watches ?
Very simply, a quartz watch is an electric based watch which uses a quartz based crystal to keep time. A mechanical watch uses a number of non electic parts (gear train, springs etc) to keep time. At the low end prices you'll be getting a mass produced movement in either however the quartz will be significantly cheaper to produce than the mechanical equivalent. Quartz in the 3-4 figures you are really just over paying for the name. A mechanical has a bit more 'life' in it, you get much more for your money and will have much better resale value (although you'd still be selling at a loss unless it is a very special watch). Either type if treated well will last you a life time but the mechanical will require a bit more tcl. Out side of warranty repairs of mechanicals can get quite pricey so you sort of have to factor that into the equation too (but don't let it put you off.... )

Quote:
Also how do you pronounce RADO ( Ray-Doh ? ). Don't want to sound like an idiot whenever I get it.
It's pronounced rah-doh as far as I am aware. Audio pronunciations of some watch names here.

Last edited by bedlam; 20-01-2009 at 21:11.
20-01-2009, 22:07   #18
ActorSeeksJob

Thanks for answering all my questions. You have truly enlightened a watch newbie

Will check out those shops over the next month and see about getting one in February for my birthday. Much obliged
23-01-2009, 22:41   #19
martmcc

Shops in the Canaries

Hi,

If you go onto the RaDO WEBSITE there is a store locator on the bottom left of the main page (after you select english as language). Select Spain and then pick which ever of the islands you are going to and the the city / resort nearest.

Do not buy from a shop that is not on the list because you run the risk of not getting the genuine article - as I said earlier, the luxury brand watch manufacturers only sell thru jewellers that they themselves approve and the watches documentation will be traceable back to the dealer it was bought from - for example, my Breitling documentation has the watches individual serial number and the jewelers name printed on it by the manufacturer - this will then ensure that the warranty covers it anywhere in the world (so make sure you keep all of the papers in a safe plate)

Teh differance between quartz and mechanical is that quartz has a battery and mechanical is wound. There is also automatic (generally a fair bit more expensive because they are much more complex - but well worth the money) which is wound by the movement of your wrist. If you dont wear the watch for about 2 days it will stop but justs needs to be shaken a bit to get it going again. When you look at the quarts, if it has a second hand, it ticks thru the seconds. The automatic moves in a continuous sweep.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion