Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-12-2008, 15:19   #1
oztots

Medical alert Bracelets

Hello,

Im alergic to morphine and was told to wear a bracelet. I do... sometimes. Seeing as i do alot of contact sports where all jewelry is taken off, and i have a motorbike, i dont think that combination is the safest. And i find myself not wearing it for weeks at a time due to training every day. and not being bothered to be constantly putting it back on with watch and ring and the lot.

What i was wondering is would anybody check for a tattoo in the same place? The medical star and a big no morphine?
Advertisement
10-12-2008, 15:03   #2
Tree

Mod: Biology
you could keep something in the pouch w/ your drivers licence for when you're driving. won't be much use at training though;
10-12-2008, 18:57   #3
DrIndy

if someone is unconcious, it is common practise in A&E to check their wallet to get contact details for next of kin or even their own identity and a card there would be spotted if very visible. Ideally though you should either have a bracelet or a neck-chain which will travel with you.
11-12-2008, 21:16   #4
claireeney

i often thought about that as my BF is allergic to penicillin. i thought a tattoo would be a great idea, he already has 4. but he said having "allergic to penicillin" wouldnt look nice and might not even be seen if needed!!

is it my imagination or is there only one type of bracelet for diabetics and people allergic to stuff etc? why dont they all have their own unique, easily identifable symbols and then you could get that tattooed on ya.

or else the medical symbol with morphine underneath in nice writing.

im waffling, so ill go

12-12-2008, 12:43   #5
aidan.connolly

Hi,

As far as I know there a few recognised Medical Alert Symbols e.g. Caduceus, Snake & Staff and Star of Life. All of which are used on Medical Alert Jewellery.

oztots,

Would you consider wearing a "Dog Tag" or some other form of Medical Jewellery around your neck. PM me if you want further details

regards

Aidan

Last edited by aidan.connolly; 12-12-2008 at 12:48. Reason: spelling
Advertisement
13-12-2008, 00:34   #6
oztots

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan.connolly View Post
Hi,

As far as I know there a few recognised Medical Alert Symbols e.g. Caduceus, Snake & Staff and Star of Life. All of which are used on Medical Alert Jewellery.

oztots,

Would you consider wearing a "Dog Tag" or some other form of Medical Jewellery around your neck. PM me if you want further details

regards

Aidan
Thanks for the offer aidan, but i think ill get it inked on so i dont lose it! Its mma that i do so all jewelry comes off every day.

And thanks to all the other posts.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion