Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
25-11-2008, 09:12   #1
RentDayBlues
Registered User
 
RentDayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 603
Peugeot 206 - Clutch Problems

I got my car serviced in September and no real problems - though the mechanic did pick up on a tearing noise which was the bearings in my clutch. He did say that it was a sign that the Clutch was going but didnt need to be replaced immediately.

The noise has got slightly worse now and I'm concerned that its going to give up any day - so do I preempt it and go get the clutch replaced even though it may have a good bit of life in it yet or do I hold out. I could do without having to pay for a new clutch so soon after a service!
RentDayBlues is offline  
Advertisement
25-11-2008, 10:37   #2
JoeySully
Registered User
 
JoeySully's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cork City
Posts: 1,050
a clutch is not part of a normal service so having had your car services recently has nothing to do with it.
so its entirely up to you fix it or don't fix it. If you choose not to fix it then make sure you have paid up your AA subscription and expect to be late for work at least one morning. your mech has advised you correctly but shop around for prices. get the phone book out and ring around.
JoeySully is offline  
25-11-2008, 11:11   #3
Ferror
Registered User
 
Ferror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 454
Send a message via ICQ to Ferror
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentDayBlues View Post
I got my car serviced in September and no real problems - though the mechanic did pick up on a tearing noise which was the bearings in my clutch. He did say that it was a sign that the Clutch was going but didnt need to be replaced immediately.

The noise has got slightly worse now and I'm concerned that its going to give up any day - so do I preempt it and go get the clutch replaced even though it may have a good bit of life in it yet or do I hold out. I could do without having to pay for a new clutch so soon after a service!
Same thing happen to my 206 a couple of weeks ago; clutch still was working but the release bearing noise got worse and worse - after a couple of weeks living with the noise if finally gave up and ended with a lovely burning smell and an immobile car.

Think it's best just to get a 3 part clutch now and save the hassle of getting stranded somewhere... Cost €300 to do here: http://walkinstownclutch.com
Ferror is offline  
25-11-2008, 13:18   #4
RentDayBlues
Registered User
 
RentDayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 603
Ferror, thanks for that - I've lived with the noise for about 4 months now so I think I should probably bite the bullet and get it fixed - don't want to break down on the way home for Christmas.
RentDayBlues is offline  
25-11-2008, 13:22   #5
Darragh29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kiltipper, South Dublin.
Posts: 7,007
Eventually the bearing will seize up and come apart. I've seen more damage before from this type of clutch fault, bearing guide sleeves worn and clutch release fork damaged because the bearing ended up eating into these parts. Best thing is to get it done as soon as the problem becomes obvious. A rule of thumb, the longer you leave it, usually, the more damage is done. Not always, but usually enough...
Darragh29 is offline  
Advertisement
25-11-2008, 13:51   #6
RentDayBlues
Registered User
 
RentDayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 603
Thanks Darragh - agree - I think its time to bite the bullet and get it fixed now.
RentDayBlues is offline  
25-11-2008, 13:58   #7
RentDayBlues
Registered User
 
RentDayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 603
Does anyone know of any other garages that will similar to thew one suggested above? Walkinstown is a little difficult for me to get to.
RentDayBlues is offline  
25-11-2008, 14:05   #8
Darragh29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kiltipper, South Dublin.
Posts: 7,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferror View Post
Same thing happen to my 206 a couple of weeks ago; clutch still was working but the release bearing noise got worse and worse - after a couple of weeks living with the noise if finally gave up and ended with a lovely burning smell and an immobile car.

Think it's best just to get a 3 part clutch now and save the hassle of getting stranded somewhere... Cost €300 to do here: http://walkinstownclutch.com
Just checked out that website. Does anyone know what "state-of-the-art electronic diagnostic equipment" they are referring to when they say they use this equipment to, "clarify any faults apparent", in relation to manual gearboxes & clutches??? I'm all for technology but I can't imagine what equipment they could be using to diagnose a problem with a clutch or a manual transmission???

Also, 300 Euro for a clutch seems a bit on the low side???
Darragh29 is offline  
25-11-2008, 14:07   #9
RentDayBlues
Registered User
 
RentDayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 603
Darragh I think the €300 is to replace the bearings not all the clutch, I'm going to call round and see what I can get quoted.
RentDayBlues is offline  
Advertisement
25-11-2008, 14:12   #10
Ferror
Registered User
 
Ferror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 454
Send a message via ICQ to Ferror
Just to clarify, that 300 included the clutch friction disk, pressure plate and release bearing (driveshaft seals and gear oil change too i'm sure) + labour... it was a bit far for me too but i couldn't find anywhere close that cheap! Just thought i'd put it out there as the same thing happened recently and the guy did a good job.
Ferror is offline  
25-11-2008, 14:25   #11
RentDayBlues
Registered User
 
RentDayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 603
Thanks Ferror - my own local "Peugeot" garage just quoted €610 for the full clutch to be replaced - apparently it will cost almost the same to get the bearings done.
RentDayBlues is offline  
25-11-2008, 15:13   #12
Ferror
Registered User
 
Ferror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 454
Send a message via ICQ to Ferror
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentDayBlues View Post
Thanks Ferror - my own local "Peugeot" garage just quoted €610 for the full clutch to be replaced - apparently it will cost almost the same to get the bearings done.
Holy crap! That's pretty pricy, besides, there's no real point in just replacing the bearing with everything apart and half worn anyway

I actually found the walkinstown clutch place here tbh and i'm glad i did! Cheaper than doing it myself for all the time it'd take me
Ferror is offline  
25-11-2008, 15:18   #13
Darragh29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kiltipper, South Dublin.
Posts: 7,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentDayBlues View Post
Thanks Ferror - my own local "Peugeot" garage just quoted €610 for the full clutch to be replaced - apparently it will cost almost the same to get the bearings done.
What bearing are we talking about here??? The only bearing that should be changed here, this side of the gearbox being removed, is the clutch release bearing that is one of the three parts of the replacement 3 piece clutch kit.

300 Euro for an OEM 3 piece replacement clutch kit (cover assembly, driven plate and release bearing), and labour sounds too low in my opinion. A more realistic price for an OEM clutch kit and labour would be around 400-450 Euro for this car I think.

I'm not too sure on what bearings folks are referring to above. AFAIK, the only bearing that is causing a problem here is the clutch release bearing, which should be replaced with the clutch kit in any event. If there are other bearings gone in the gearbox (and there is no evidence of this from reading the thread, unless I've missed something...), this is a separate issue and you won't be able to tell this until you have the gearbox out...

Meant to say, that price of 400-450 Euro is for an indy fitting an LuK or Valeo clutch... Main dealer, price above given as 610, which sounds steep but normal for a main dealer...
Darragh29 is offline  
25-11-2008, 15:38   #14
RentDayBlues
Registered User
 
RentDayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 603
Darragh - it seems to be that you are right - most places have said to get full clutch replaced - quotes are coming in around 400 - 450. Place in walkinstown quoted €260 - I'm going to call a few other places and see what they quote.

Thanks to all for your help
RentDayBlues is offline  
25-11-2008, 15:49   #15
Darragh29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kiltipper, South Dublin.
Posts: 7,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentDayBlues View Post
Darragh - it seems to be that you are right - most places have said to get full clutch replaced - quotes are coming in around 400 - 450. Place in walkinstown quoted €260 - I'm going to call a few other places and see what they quote.

Thanks to all for your help
I know 400 plus sounds like robbery but I can tell you for sure that 260 Euro is just way way to cheap.
Darragh29 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet