Convert Commercial to Passenger - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-08-2008, 09:23   #1
Mike2006

Convert Commercial to Passenger

Hi,

If I wanted to convert a Commerical VW Golf Van to a Passenger Car what costs would I incur: It is already on Irish plates.

New VRT Rate?
New Tax Rate?
Would it need to be re-registered?

Cheers,

Mike.
Advertisement
21-08-2008, 09:49   #2
Stephen
louis walsh has pie!

I'm not sure its strictly legal. Normally when they're made into a commercial in the first place the mounts for rear seats/belts etc are destroyed.
21-08-2008, 09:55   #3
Quazzie
Subscriber

It is legal and can be done. Can be fairly costly depending on the origins of your van. Some vans enter the country as cars and are then converted, but some enter as vans and these are the ones that are harder to convert. Someone in the know should be able to tell you with a quick inspection on VIN.
21-08-2008, 10:00   #4
bazz26

Physically, the rear seat belt harneses would have to be reinstalled which to my knowledge is a big enough job.

Not sure about the VRT situation.

Would presume the tax would change from commerical to private. Insurance may have to be changed too if it is currently insured as a commerical vehicle.

Don't think it has to be reregistered if it is already on Irish plates.

Might work out cheaper to just sell the van and buy a similar car version.
21-08-2008, 18:24   #5
Tipsy Mac

Sell it and buy or import a car version, unless it's about 3 years old or less it won't be worth while, you will be talking about the guts of €5 or 6k to do it right as you will have pay VRT and have then buy and fit seats, belts with new anchor bolts, rear window glass with fittings. When you come to sell the car you will likely have little interest as the conversion will put people off.
Advertisement
21-08-2008, 23:38   #6
Limerick man

If it was converting the other way it can be alot easier. There's no way it would be economical to convert it to passneger unless it origionally was a passenger. Just sell it and buy a passenger. It'll the ALOT less hassle.
03-10-2008, 19:19   #7
conor2949

could somebody please PM me the contact details of any companies in the UK or ireland that will be able to convert my landcruiser to passenger from commercial.

thanks
Conor
03-10-2008, 19:44   #8
Quazzie
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor2949 View Post
could somebody please PM me the contact details of any companies in the UK or ireland that will be able to convert my landcruiser to passenger from commercial.

thanks
Conor
www.carzone.ie seems to have a good selection.
03-10-2008, 20:52   #9
TommyT
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor2949 View Post

thanks
Conor

http://www.mauricemoffettltd.com/ is the cheapest that I have found so far. Been getting some crazy quotes from others.
Advertisement
03-10-2008, 22:31   #10
Esel
Subscriber

You would be liable for VRT, and if you convert the vehicle and don't sort the VRT out, it can be seized, with a penalty and the VRT to be paid before it will be released. Possible court appearance?
04-10-2008, 18:25   #11
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by esel View Post
You would be liable for VRT, and if you convert the vehicle and don't sort the VRT out, it can be seized, with a penalty and the VRT to be paid before it will be released. Possible court appearance?
+1

Jaysus i could see some one going from passenger to commercial, but commercial to passenger? I really wouldn't bother, just sell it and buy a passenger, it'll be a alot less hassle, paper work, etc. etc. Either way you will have to pay VRT, which will all the costs and time added up could cost you more in the long run.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion