Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-07-2008, 20:57   #1
Maddison

Send a message via MSN to Maddison
Wall height regulations

Heya everyone,

Have tried looking this up on the net but cannot find anything. Im wondering if there is a wall/fence height restriction on domestic properties?? Basically we have a decking area out our back garden which is flush with our door which means that we are able to look over into our neighbours garden quite easily, so we decided that we would put new fences up, we purchased 6 x 6 panels which seem to be quite a bit bigger than the oroginals(which we left in place, simply put the new ones over them)Also the originals gave awful trouble in high winds.
The fences are even taller where the decking is(For added privacy from the nosyest(Sic)neighbours in the world)

Thanks!!
Advertisement
23-07-2008, 12:28   #2
The Hill Billy
Pure Daycent!

Maddison - Have a look for the planning regulations/guidelines on your local authority's website.
23-07-2008, 19:49   #3
Reyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddison View Post
Heya everyone,

Have tried looking this up on the net but cannot find anything. Im wondering if there is a wall/fence height restriction on domestic properties?? Basically we have a decking area out our back garden which is flush with our door which means that we are able to look over into our neighbours garden quite easily, so we decided that we would put new fences up, we purchased 6 x 6 panels which seem to be quite a bit bigger than the oroginals(which we left in place, simply put the new ones over them)Also the originals gave awful trouble in high winds.
The fences are even taller where the decking is(For added privacy from the nosyest(Sic)neighbours in the world)

Thanks!!
I checked this recently with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council. You need permission for any boundary wall over 4 feet in height, though I'd say this is widely ignored
23-07-2008, 19:54   #4
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyman View Post
I checked this recently with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council. You need permission for any boundary wall over 4 feet in height, though I'd say this is widely ignored
That's at the front (1.2m), I believe. At the sides and rear of a house it's 2m. If it was 1.2m, practically every suburban house in Ireland would be in breach of the building regulations.
23-07-2008, 20:00   #5
the GALL

and it's only a boundry wall if it's on the boundry, if it's not attached it's not a boundry wall.
Do what Sharrin Curley's ol man would do and fup the neighbours
Advertisement
23-07-2008, 21:19   #6
sunnysoutheast

Believe it's 4ft / 1.2m at the front and 6ft 6in / 2m at the sides and back.

Also we've found that trellis and climbers like clematis or wisteria are great to add another 18in or so on top of this, although you'll be responsible for cutting them back (dead easy).

SSE
24-07-2008, 20:52   #7
Maddison

Send a message via MSN to Maddison
Fuppin neighbours, I may have raised the fences(which are now prob nearer to 7ft in places eek!!)Doesnt stop them hanging out of the bedroom windows having a good gawk. Can the council make us take them down they are 6' on our side because they are on the decking area but are prob 7' on our neighbours side. Another reason we got them is also because the nosy neighbours are lifting children over the fences to look at our dogs(rottweilers) and of course the weight of the dogs would easily outweigh the fences so they needed reinforcement anyway & not have idiots teasing them.
11-08-2008, 19:38   #8
Pickles1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddison View Post
Fuppin neighbours, I may have raised the fences(which are now prob nearer to 7ft in places eek!!)Doesnt stop them hanging out of the bedroom windows having a good gawk. Can the council make us take them down they are 6' on our side because they are on the decking area but are prob 7' on our neighbours side. Another reason we got them is also because the nosy neighbours are lifting children over the fences to look at our dogs(rottweilers) and of course the weight of the dogs would easily outweigh the fences so they needed reinforcement anyway & not have idiots teasing them.
oh my god I think we have the same neighbours!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion