Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Door frame pull up bar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

BTW, for anyone interested, I'm really happy with the power bar. It's a lot sturdier than one might expect and the only criticism I'd have is that there's no padding on the outside of the bar (where you'd hold for pull ups) but that could just be because my grip strength is useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sleepy wrote:
    BTW, for anyone interested, I'm really happy with the power bar. It's a lot sturdier than one might expect and the only criticism I'd have is that there's no padding on the outside of the bar (where you'd hold for pull ups) but that could just be because my grip strength is useless!
    I use gloves with rubber coating for chinning, you would get them in woodies or hardware stores. You could also get grip tapes for bikes, or even full rubber grips for handle bars.

http://chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=200

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Grip tape... now there's a great idea rubadub. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi guys? And gals too. All still happy with your Power Bars? And Doorway Gyms? Are these available to buy online / instore in Ireland at the mo? Thanks

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Hi guys? And gals too. All still happy with your Power Bars? And Doorway Gyms? Are these available to buy online / instore in Ireland at the mo? Thanks

I think Sleepy might still have one going. I think he bought some in and somebody pulled out of the arrangement, maybe pm Sleepy incase he misses this thread.

Chinup bar is probably my favourite exercise equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm interested too...just as a quick way to do some exercise before leaving the house in the morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I have them instock and I will do a special this week for boards members. The were 59.99, I will do them for 45 euro. I will also bring a few into pinnacle so if people want to collect them they will be there.
    http://irish-lifting.com/product_info_equipment.php?cPath=1_8&products_id=270

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Are they the ones that are on that amazon site you posted about last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Mickk wrote: »
    I have them instock and I will do a special this week for boards members. The were 59.99, I will do them for 45 euro. I will also bring a few into pinnacle so if people want to collect them they will be there.

thanks Rubadub, thanks Mickk, will get back to you Mickk asap on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭mickmac

Slightly random but does anyone know where I could get a set of support brackets for a bog-standard doorway chin up bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Just ordered one of these on the site Mickk. Have to say it's one of the easiest processes Ive encountered online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Please pm me if this offer is still available? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

cmyk wrote: »

Me too Mickk! I also think I'll be buying a few supplements off ya soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

I got one of these off Mickk, the thing is brilliant and its excellent piece of equipment that I have no complaints about, it took a while to arrive but Mickk handled it well,

All in all a good piece of equipment,

cmyk wrote: »

Ok I have put this special on for another week.
    I have over 100 of these instock so there will be no delays in delivery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jaybee123

i got a door frame pull up bar before , the instruction said " just twist the bar and it will extented and tighten in to the dor frame" so tightened it into the door frame started doing chin ups about 10 chins in to it the bar came out of the door frame i belted my knees off the ground and couldn't train for a week,

now i know what they me when they say "no pain no gain"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

jaybee123 wrote: »
    i got a door frame pull up bar before , the instruction said " just twist the bar and it will extented and tighten in to the dor frame" so tightened it into the door frame started doing chin ups about 10 chins in to it the bar came out of the door frame i belted my knees off the ground and couldn't train for a week,

I've one of those and i've had no problems with it!

You did have the 2 socket things on the door frame didnt you?

You screw 2 sockets and twist the bar the ends go into them, then you twist more so it actively pushes the frame apart a little.

I have done chins on mine at 75kg with 40kg on a belt with no trouble, and mine is going into a partition wall on one side.

With all these things test well first, hang and give a light jolt. The removable ones cannot be jolted much or they will unhook themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Ye you might have wanted to screw it on to the wall first...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tadgh78

Hello everyone! This is my first post on Boards.ie :)

I think these "door-loop" things from amazon look fairly good. All they appear to be is two separate plastic hand grips that hook onto the top of a door which are held in place when the door is closed. You pull yourself up by them to perform a pull-up. They're designed to be taken anywhere and have zero set up time, which is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Power-Up-Chin-Ups/dp/B00065BT3G/ref=pd_sbs_sg_title_3

They're reasonably priced and have had mostly positive reviews.Two (minor for most people) draw-backs are 1) that they chip the paintwork and might damage the top of the door slightly, (but probably not noticeably) and 2) that the pull-up you'll do with them won't quite be a conventional pull-up, as having the door closed alters and restricts the type of movements you can perform quite a bit.

I think I'm going to give them a go anyway.

They can be purchased from here;

https://www.lifelineusa.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

• Advertisement

I am sorry man but they are the worst idea I have ever seen! You are in Ireland yea? Do yourself a favour and just get a chinup bar in argos for a tenner, they work better than the ones in your link and will be much cheaper by the time you spend 20 dollars on them, atleast 15 shipping, import duty and vat!

The benefit of the one I sell is that you are away from the door frame, you can do normal chin ups, hammer chins, wide grip pull ups (the best back building exercise ever) and inversion work and it removes completely from the doorframe and doesn't require screwing or drilling into the doorframe like the argos one.
    Tadgh78 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! This is my first post on Boards.ie :)

I think these "door-loop" things from amazon look fairly good. All they appear to be is two separate plastic hand grips that hook onto the top of a door which are held in place when the door is closed. You pull yourself up by them to perform a pull-up. They're designed to be taken anywhere and have zero set up time, which is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Power-Up-Chin-Ups/dp/B00065BT3G/ref=pd_sbs_sg_title_3

They're reasonably priced and have had mostly positive reviews.Two (minor for most people) draw-backs are 1) that they chip the paintwork and might damage the top of the door slightly, (but probably not noticeably) and 2) that the pull-up you'll do with them won't quite be a conventional pull-up, as having the door closed alters and restricts the type of movements you can perform quite a bit.

I think I'm going to give them a go anyway.

They can be purchased from here;

https://www.lifelineusa.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

Do yourself a favour and just get a chinup bar in argos for a tenner,

I bought that very one a couple of years ago, it was about 15 or 20 euro at the time I think, and it's the best money I ever spent on a piece of exercise equipment.

However I now want something that's portable and, just like the original poster I don't want to have to get out the screw-driver every place I set it up.

they work better than the ones in your link and will be much cheaper by the time you spend 20 dollars on them, atleast 15 shipping, import duty and vat!
    A regular chin-up bar probably would work better but as regards price; I've already ordered them and postage to Ireland was $9.99 + the price of $19.99 = $30 or about 20 euro altogether. The item will ship as a small packet and in my experience customs aren't interested until you get up to about a 100 euro value on a parcel including postage.
    The benefit of the one I sell is that you are away from the door frame, you can do normal chin ups, hammer chins, wide grip pull ups (the best back building exercise ever) and inversion work and it removes completely from the doorframe and doesn't require screwing or drilling into the door frame like the argos one.
    I don't deny that that is a quality piece of equipment, but it's not exactly portable though, and it appears to require about 6 inches of clearance on both sides of the door frame, which is something a lot of people living in flats and apartments (myself included) won't have.

This is what I have to deal with;

IMG_3850.jpg
    As you can see I have no clearance on either side of the door-frame so a device like the one you are selling would appear to be out of the question for me.

I

Tadgh78 wrote: »
    I bought that very one a couple of years ago, it was about 15 or 20 euro at the time I think, and it's the best money I ever spent on a piece of exercise equipment.

However I now want something that's portable and, just like the original poster I don't want to have to get out the screw-driver every place I set it up.

A regular chin-up bar probably would work better but as regards price; I've already ordered them and postage to Ireland was $9.99 + the price of $19.99 = $30 or about 20 euro altogether. The item will ship as a small packet and in my experience customs aren't interested until you get up to about a 100 euro value on a parcel including postage.

I don't deny that that is a quality piece of equipment, but it's not exactly portable though, and it appears to require about 6 inches of clearance on both sides of the door frame, which is something a lot of people living in flats and apartments (myself included) won't have.

This is what I have to deal with;

IMG_3850.jpg
    As you can see I have no clearance on either side of the door-frame so a device like the one you are selling would appear to be out of the question for me.

I

Just the fact that your weight would naturally hang exactly where the door is so you have to drag yourself up a door with pretty much your whole bodyweight on your elbows. Then there is the fact that the whole weight is on the door, it would be fine for a front door but an internal door would break pretty quickly I would think... I got stung for a small pack coming in with dhl, 7 euro vat, 2 euro duty and 12.50 for dhl fee to collect cod!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

rubadub wrote: »
    You did have the 2 socket things on the door frame didnt you?

You screw 2 sockets and twist the bar the ends go into them, then you twist more so it actively pushes the frame apart a little.
    Mine doesn't have that.It's got hard plastic on the end which together with the force of pulling down on the thing keeps it on the doorframe. I guess if you were doing some major kipping it might be a problem but I swing quite a bit on it at about 68kg and its never come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Ok I have put this special on for another week.
    I have over 100 of these instock so there will be no delays in delivery...

Many thanks for running this again Mickk, just ordered one, and looking forward to trying it out! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

Found this thread on a search, I'm in two minds between one I saw in Argos that sticks between the two sides of the doorframe and the one from Irish-Lifting.com. I'm terrified that if I put one up that rests on the top of the doorframe I'll pull the top of the doorframe down with me, its not an especially weak frame but not especially strong either. I've read a few things about these wrecking the wood on the frames, how does it hold up?

^ Get one of the ones that screw into the door frame. They don't harm the door frame at all unless you count the holes for the screws as harm.

3003341A61UC55681X.jpg

I have one of these, it's all you need. There are fancier ones with extra bars for different grips but when you have them up it looks like you have the frame of a bicycle bolted to your door.

I also tried the ones that consists of two seperate "hand loops". They hook over the top of the door itself and are held in place just by friction. They weren't a sucess at all, and did mark the top of the door quite noticably.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

Got one of them in Argos this evening, the bloody things to hold it in place don't really fit any of my doors now, well they do but barely and theres little leeway between the edge of the door frame and the last screw that would go in, I'll give it a try tomorrow but might just try to find extra long screws to go further into the frame to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yo yo.

Seen in Supervalu this evening they have the Iron Gym bar. Checked reviews, seems a good buy, but sadly the box was open and was missing parts. Gutted as it was only €20.

Anyways long story short, does anywhere in Dublin sell them? Or a chin up bar that you don't have to 'install'? If so I'd be picking it up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Yo yo.

Seen in Supervalu this evening they have the Iron Gym bar. Checked reviews, seems a good buy, but sadly the box was open and was missing parts. Gutted as it was only €20.

Anyways long story short, does anywhere in Dublin sell them? Or a chin up bar that you don't have to 'install'? If so I'd be picking it up tomorrow.

Hi There

www.irish-lifting.com sell a really good pull-up/chin-up bar that goes over your door. I picked one up only last week and am really happy with it.

There is a guy who posts on here "Mickk" who own and runs Irish Lifting. He also has a supplement shop in camden St (Fighting Fit) where you can usually pick the equipment up from, or he will deliver. But not too sure how busy he is delivery wise this close to Christmas.

You can see a clip of the exact pull-up bar in this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773332

You can contact Mickk at
    admin@irishlifting.com

- or -

01 475 9529

Best Regards,

Advertisement