Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lewis structures

• 01-05-2008 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

hey, been doing these questions for a while now and certain ones I'm fnding really hard,
    can anyone tell me how I would draw the lewis structure for these following compunds, with lone pairs and electrons the works drawn in.

H3SnF
    CH3PCl2
    H2SnF
    S2Cl2
    HSnCl3
    BrF....................is it just Br-F , with three set lone pairs on Br and likewise for F?
    SeCl4
    HSiF3.............is silicon in the middle of what looks like a tetrahedral structure with three flourines coming out of one side and the top of the structure a H?Then three lone pairs on each F?
    P4 (Not sure about this at all)
    SCl2 (think i may have this one)
    H2SnF2
    H2SiF2

I would be so grateful if anyone would take the time to explain these structures briefly, as it would give me a pass alone if i can answer this question perfectly in the exam. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

You are right for BrF and HSiF3

P4 each P needs 3 bonds, and there are 4 of them so you get a tetrahedron right?

SCl2, it just like say OF2
    Since Tin and silicon are in the same group you can expect the same lewis structure, a terahedron...

At least I think so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Yup, P4 is tetrahedral.
    H3SnF, Sn 4 valence electrons, so that should be pyrimidal.
    CH3PCl2, well that's going to have a strange shape no idea what its called.
    H2SnF, like above except there's a lone pair on Sn, so it would be pyrimidal too i think.
    I've got a test in this too next week(!), such an easy question once you get the hang of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

thanks a million folks.............thank god i'll be done with this stuff next week!!might have dossed a bit too much this yr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

trigonal bipyramidal.... 5 points, a top a bottom, and three around the middle, that is assuming it is (CH3)3PCl2

Advertisement