Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to holiday in Ireland? 2 toddlers & 2 adults

• 17-03-2008 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

My wife and I would like to bring our 2 and 3 yr old for a break in Ireland. Hotel with kids play area, that sort of thing. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Depends a lot on your budget.

Things can get very expensive here.
    There are some top of the range family hotels (Kellys, Rosslare) but they are very expensive.

Are you looking for a city holiday or a countryside one?
    What time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

How many nights are you thinking of?

As your children aren't in school yet you can avail of cheaper holidays if you go outside July or August.

Have you checked out the SuperValu Getaway breaks? They're good value. You can book a holiday home or apartment and some are attached to a hotel for €299 for 7 nights (€499 for July and August).

They also do hotel breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

if heading westwards, I would highly recommend the castlecourt hotel in Westport, they have a kids club but for your age group they have a creche also free to residents...

http://www.castlecourthotel.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I have stayed in the Harbour Mill Apartments in Westport a couple of times with the kids and had a ball.

Expensive, but a really great spot with lots to do and see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

We goto Kelly's hotel in rosslare, can't recommend it enough well worth your while checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fire fly

Trabolgan in Cork is great for kids of all ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

fire fly wrote: »
    Trabolgan in Cork is great for kids of all ages.

Just back from a long weekend with my two kids 8 and 2 in trabolgan, the entertainment is fantastic for their ages. The have a website you can check out. Lots of soft play areas, barney and bob the builder shows for the younger kids.

The accomodation is self catering, basic but functional. Fota wildlife park is close by and youghal and cobh are quite scenic, they also have a small beach close by and the pool area is lovely.

Hotel wise, I like to go to places that have a kids club, but most of them only take kids from certain ages ie 4 up. So just check.

Here are a few hotel groups I have used before that have kids clubs.

Quality hotels
    Brennan hotels
    talbot hotel group...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Hotel Westport is very child orientated. In Galway, www.GalwayBayHotel.com (Salthill) is well located on seafront beside www.Leisureland.ie and 2 minutes from www.nationalaquarium.ie

I'n heading for Dublin in May with my wife, 2+ year old daughter and 8 month old son. We are going to base ourselves in Clarion, Liffey Valley where we will get an apartment/ suite. We stayed there 2 years ago and were very happy. It is cleana and quiet and the grub is good. We will go to Zoo, Howth, shopping etc over 4 days.

Yeah, we are a family of culchies

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Plus 10

Having been to Kelly's must agree that it is fantastic for a family with young kids. Be warned it is pricey!

I'm just surprised that there isn't any other similiar type places within a reasonable distance of Dublin (I have also heard good reports from Westport/Trabolgan but they seem a bit of a commute with babies on board) - so if anyone can assist with alternatives for us Dubs! it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 debsyy

hi im a single mom of 3 dont drive kids are 7 yr ,,6 yr ,, 16 months never been on holiday so want to do something this year any ideas where to go that would be suitable considering il have to travel by bus or train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

Check out the 2 bed houses in sea field hotel. Great location with georgeous beaches nearby. Great value and houses and grounds are immaculate with playground and kids club in evenings.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g551585-d657786-r36044825-Seafield_Golf_Spa_Hotel-Gorey_County_Wexford.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

This was my review and have been back a few times since...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

This hotel is only about an hour from Dublin. They have a kids stay free deal, and they have a kids club during the summer so you can actually relax while away. Its on a lake and there are some nice gardens and walks nearby. Golf too if you are into that..

Not affiliated, just use the spa there sometimes.

http://www.bloomfieldhousehotel.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

debsyy wrote: »
    hi im a single mom of 3 dont drive kids are 7 yr ,,6 yr ,, 16 months never been on holiday so want to do something this year any ideas where to go that would be suitable considering il have to travel by bus or train?

This may sound mad, but look into hiring a hackney for a trip away. Unles you have free travel, it can really add up even is you take the bus instead of the train.

The only issue may be a car seat for the 16 mt old...

Advertisement