Car ownership transfer - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

19-02-2008, 18:40   #1
TheOneToBe

Car ownership transfer

What is required from buyer and seller regarding papers to properly get car transferred?
Advertisement
19-02-2008, 19:17   #2
who_ru

if you are selling, get buyer to fill in his/her details on the back of the registration cert, post it to dept of environment in shannon yourself and tick change of ownership box.
19-02-2008, 19:39   #3
TheOneToBe

I am buying, so what do I need to do to insure that car is mine, once I give money?
19-02-2008, 19:40   #4
Run_to_da_hills
Banned

If you hand over the documents ie RF2 forms and tax/registration books etc to the buyer of your vehicle you are in danger of him/her driving the car around still in your name, you will be liable for all the parking fines and speeding tickets. Its up to the seller to post on the documents immediatly after sale.
19-02-2008, 19:48   #5
mick.fr

Send a message via ICQ to mick.fr Send a message via AIM to mick.fr Send a message via Yahoo to mick.fr Send a message via Skype™ to mick.fr
Would be nice to have a Sticky about this.
Mods?
:-)
Advertisement
19-02-2008, 19:57   #6
TheOneToBe

Additional question...car is one year old, is there any other checks then motor checks to see if the car was in accidents or if there is something wrong with it?
19-02-2008, 20:50   #7
Redsoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneToBe View Post
I am buying, so what do I need to do to insure that car is mine, once I give money?
The onus is on the seller to register the change of ownership with the DOE (see here). So they will probably not give you the registration (unless they are ignorant of this fact or don't care).

So, you could fill in your details and then accompany them to the Post Office to ensure that they send off the doc (probably overkill as I don't see why they wouldn't they post them, other than laziness). And possibly request a receipt?

If they are made aware that the tax and penalty point liabilities rest with them that should do the trick I would imagine.
19-02-2008, 20:52   #8
Redsoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneToBe View Post
Additional question...car is one year old, is there any other checks then motor checks to see if the car was in accidents or if there is something wrong with it?

Contact the AA or Cartell.
10-08-2010, 21:01   #9
professore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan View Post

So, you could fill in your details and then accompany them to the Post Office to ensure that they send off the doc (probably overkill as I don't see why they wouldn't they post them, other than laziness). And possibly request a receipt?
Don't underestimate this. I would bring a stamped addressed envelope addressed to shannon and go to the postbox with them. They also could lose the doc after selling the car, causing all sorts of hassle.
Advertisement
10-08-2010, 21:14   #10
CiniO

I was adviced once here, to make sure to take a receipt from the seller, stating that he took the money and gave you a car. Receipt should contain his name, address, car vin no, registation no, etc, and ofcourse his signature. This can prevent any trouble, in case the seller wanted to cheat you.
10-08-2010, 21:18   #11
-Chris-
Closed Account

Hi,

I'm closing this thread as it's over 2 years old as per the Charter.

Chris
Thanks from:
Thread Closed