Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-02-2008, 14:18   #1
babel

BMW 3 Series, windows open by themselves

I had the dirvers door and the boot open at the time and then all of a sudden both the drivers window and passengers window opned by themselves (about 1/3 the way down). I didnt even have the key in the ignition.

I cant imagine this is a "feature" of the car...

Has anybody come across this before, it has only happened once but I am concerned it could happen sometime when Im not there!

It is a 318ci E46.

Thanks
Advertisement
18-02-2008, 14:23   #2
rebel.ranter

Were you pressing the key by any chance at the time? BMWs have a feature that opens all the windows by pressing & holding the unlock button on the key, the car must be locked to begin with though. It also works in a similar way to close all the windows.

(Some) VWs have a similar feature.

Last edited by rebel.ranter; 18-02-2008 at 14:29.
18-02-2008, 14:26   #3
babel

I had the keys in my pocket at the time, perhaps I did press against the unlock button.

The car was definelty unlocked at the time though
18-02-2008, 15:12   #4
lynchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by babel View Post
I had the keys in my pocket at the time, perhaps I did press against the unlock button.

The car was definelty unlocked at the time though
Happened on my 5 series before too. Had parked the car at my parents and only that my father saw all the windows down I would never had known until the next day. I guess I had hit off the button while the keys were in my pocket while I was INSIDE the house!!
18-02-2008, 15:16   #5
High&Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
Were you pressing the key by any chance at the time? BMWs have a feature that opens all the windows by pressing & holding the unlock button on the key, the car must be locked to begin with though. It also works in a similar way to close all the windows.

(Some) VWs have a similar feature.
I don't think the car has to be locked for this feature to work.
Advertisement
18-02-2008, 16:14   #6
kdobey

Similar on Audi's

Audi's have the same feature. The manual says (and experience confirms) that this only works when you are 'close' to the car.

i.e. while you may be able to lock or open the car from a distance holding the open (or close) button will not open or close the widows (and sunroof) unless you are quite near the car. I guess it determines 'close' by the strength of the signal from the fob.
20-02-2008, 08:50   #7
Wishbone Ash

I occasionally see cars in the long term car parks at Dublin Airport with all the windows open. Presumably the owners accidently press the relevant button while unloading luggage from the boot and then run for the shuttle bus without checking.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion