cooking rashers - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2008, 12:18   #16
olaola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saruman View Post
Not on a non stick pan

Anyway there is enough grease in a rasher already... so it should not stick. Just move it around to prevent it.
There is enough to cook a few cloves of garlic in it. Then I add a tin of tomatoes or whatever I'm going to add in.

I bought a 'Circulon' covered saute pan a while back, great for dry-frying. It's super non-stick and you can put them in the oven. I think they are well worth it if you're trying to cook healthier dinners.
Advertisement
11-02-2008, 12:28   #17
ApeXaviour

Cooking for engineers has a great article on bacon:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/a...3/Bacon-Part-I

The conclusion is that the nitrates are the most dodgy thing about them (also in a lot of other cured or processed foods, turkey rashers I imagine too). When cooked at high temperatures (above 150C), the sodium nitrate in bacon can go carcinogenic. Some suggest putting the oven on between 100-120C and leaving the rashers in over night. I've done this before (if not entirely on purpose) and they really taste unbelievably good.
11-02-2008, 17:36   #18
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeXaviour View Post
Some suggest putting the oven on between 100-120C and leaving the rashers in over night. I've done this before (if not entirely on purpose) and they really taste unbelievably good.
Must try it sometime, might be like beef jerky. I have baked rashers before, very easy way to cook a large amount, cooks really quick and very crispy.

Quote:
Yup I'm a fellow bacon medallions fan!
Same here. I used to work near a centra that did hot food, €11 per kilo. I used to get 2 tongs, go the the bacon and use them to rip out the medallions, leaving a heap of fat behind A fraction of what they would cost in the supermarkets, esp. with all the water loss.
11-02-2008, 17:47   #19
ApeXaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
Must try it sometime, might be like beef jerky. I have baked rashers before
Surprisingly they're very crisp... kind of sweeter and less bitter or something too.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion