Originally Posted by derek27
Mushrooms are more difficult to digest than many other food types and are high in levels of Hydrazines, which are putative toxicants, in comparison to other foods - however, I'm not aware of any cases of people suffering any short to medium term adverse effects from eating large amounts of edible mushrooms... however, you do eat an extremely large amount, so your case might be worth studying.
There are also benefits to be had, many are medicinal in some way or another. I would imagine the right ones would offset any negative effects.
This is an excellent site, though may not be "work friendly" as it is mainly focused on psychoactive ones. But there is a entire section on gourmet/medicinal mushrooms. Most on those groups are commercial growers and mycologists and the forum is very active.
Many will take psychoactive ones for medicinal purposes too, like improving eyesight and skin conditions, but the main breakthrough found was the treatment of cluster headaches, AKA suicide headaches, which are so bad the sufferers often resort to suicide. The traditional medicine partially relieves them and can cost €50-100 per dose so is not feasible for many, and it only lasts several hours. While psiliocybin doses at threshold levels of intoxication can fully relive people for a year.