Any one into Street/freeride/Trials in Dublin. - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-12-2007, 17:58   #16
af_thefragile
Registered User
 
af_thefragile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post
i built my own yoke, its a kona frame, hone cranks, 105 derailleur 9sp , and a set of bombers on the front!!!
the specialised are nore dirt jumpers, tbh youd get better spec for the same money, with specialised most of your money goes towards you frame.
build it yourself!!!
parts are cheap this time of year!! that way you get a quality bike.
sure chain reaction have dirt jam pros for e130
I wanted something more all around bike for now.
Something i can take on mountain trails and then ride around the city and parks too.
As i'm a noob at all of this, i don't really need to get too specific getting a trials bike or a DH mtb. So i felt the Specialized P2 was the best all around.

But i think i could do a better job building up from a frame. I was looking for specialized frames but couldn't find any.
You've got any recommendations there??
I'ld like something light as it'll be better for trials.
af_thefragile is offline  
Advertisement
13-12-2007, 18:19   #17
kona
Registered User
 
kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: whisky
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by af_thefragile View Post
I wanted something more all around bike for now.
Something i can take on mountain trails and then ride around the city and parks too.
As i'm a noob at all of this, i don't really need to get too specific getting a trials bike or a DH mtb. So i felt the Specialized P2 was the best all around.

But i think i could do a better job building up from a frame. I was looking for specialized frames but couldn't find any.
You've got any recommendations there??
I'ld like something light as it'll be better for trials.

youll **** a light frame doin dh/freeriding thats why my frame is chromo.
ive a 16" fury frame for sale (its my frame before the kona) i changed before i wrecked it as it was too nice to wreck!!!.
i take my jump bike up howth, drogheda, wicklow, town skate parks.
the bombers are fantastic you can adjust them for dh, all mountain, xc what ever.
saracen make decent cheap bikes, check out irish dh for sale section, there are heaps of savage 2nd hand bikes for sale there....hopw much are you looking to spend??
kona is offline  
13-12-2007, 19:56   #18
af_thefragile
Registered User
 
af_thefragile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,060
I was looking to spend as much as to get me a Specialized P.2 cromo which costs about €850.
Anything cheaper than that would be great. I don't really have much to spend here.

I liked the P2's frame geometry and i herd it had a really strong frame which you could really trash around. Then i could practice some basic stuff like wheelies, manuals, bunny hops, pedal kicks on it, and could also then take it down some DH trial.

Acutally found this..
http://irishdh.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=4710

Might go for it instead and upgrade the components. Probably add gears to it.
Whats your take at it??

Btw thanks for telling me bout the irish dh site...!
af_thefragile is offline  
13-12-2007, 20:01   #19
kona
Registered User
 
kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: whisky
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by af_thefragile View Post
I was looking to spend as much as to get me a Specialized P.2 cromo which costs about €850.
Anything cheaper than that would be great. I don't really have much to spend here.

I liked the P2's frame geometry and i herd it had a really strong frame which you could really trash around. Then i could practice some basic stuff like wheelies, manuals, bunny hops, pedal kicks on it, and could also then take it down some DH trial.

Acutally found this..
http://irishdh.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=4710

Might go for it instead and upgrade the components. Probably add gears to it.
Whats your take at it??

Btw thanks for telling me bout the irish dh site...!
buy it!!! but make sure there is a dropout for gears!!!! and the frame can take em!!!
for 500 youd have a frame and a set of bombers!!!!!, then buy a carrera vulcan for e300 and rape it for parts, et voila a nice jump bike!!
kona is offline  
13-12-2007, 20:07   #20
af_thefragile
Registered User
 
af_thefragile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post
buy it!!! but make sure there is a dropout for gears!!!! and the frame can take em!!!
for 500 youd have a frame and a set of bombers!!!!!, then buy a carrera vulcan for e300 and rape it for parts, et voila a nice jump bike!!
Too late, its sold!!!
Damn!!
Though i'll keep looking.

The P2 already comes with bombers though.
af_thefragile is offline  
Advertisement
13-12-2007, 21:44   #21
kona
Registered User
 
kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: whisky
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by af_thefragile View Post
Too late, its sold!!!
Damn!!
Though i'll keep looking.

The P2 already comes with bombers though.
what ones??
youd get a set of JNR T or all mountain1 for in around e300-e400
for e800 youd get a kona shred., or a 16" kona hoss(bomb proof all ounder)
kona is offline  
13-12-2007, 23:42   #22
af_thefragile
Registered User
 
af_thefragile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,060
The Specialized P2 cromo comes with Marzocchi DJ3 fork... It looks pretty descent.
Kona shred looks pretty much same as P2. Difference is it's got an alluminium frame and has a slightly different frame geometry. Slightly more expensive too.
Kona hoss is a little expensive too.

Well i think for now i'ld just go with the P2. I like specialized bikes and i like P2's shape.
Just gotta get the bike soon and hit the roads, parks, mountains, whatever comes in the way and my imagination!!
af_thefragile is offline  
13-12-2007, 23:47   #23
kona
Registered User
 
kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: whisky
Posts: 5,650
the DJ3 are very stiff, great for, dirt jump, and foolin round, but for drops they are hard on the wrists etc, although if you are doing more dirt jumping then they will be sweet!!!
kona is offline  
14-12-2007, 00:51   #24
af_thefragile
Registered User
 
af_thefragile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,060
Don't think i'll be doing any big drops anytime soon... As i'm just a beginner at this...
The DJ3's stiff suspension should probably do well for urban assault/trials riding n all which is what i'ld be doing more of for now.
I'll probably just change the fork later when i get into more extreme freeriding... or probably save up enough to get the specialized demo...!
af_thefragile is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet