Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-11-2007, 22:38   #16
emeraldstar
Registered User
 
emeraldstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third_Echelon View Post

You will NOT be able to afford to live in Manhattan. End of story

I lived in Sunnyside, Queens, which was a really nice neighbourhood. Woodside was right next to it. No. 7 subway line was right at my door and I was in Times Square in 10/15 minutes.

You are best looking in the Queens area i reckon. Woodside, Sunnyside, Astoria, Long Island City. We had a studio apartment with 5 of us (cosy to say the least ) each paying $700 per month ($3,500 in total). Manhattan was anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 per month.
I lived in Manhattan......I paid $750/month.......
emeraldstar is offline  
Advertisement
04-11-2007, 15:28   #17
Charlie
Registered User
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,573
Alrite Dazzler, I do indeed remember that encounter. Those girls were having none of his antics And yeah, I spent many a day in that clammy laundromat. Do you miss Sean Ogs??

$750 pm seems crazy money for a studio in Sunnyside. We rented a 4 bed apartment in Woodside for $2400 pm total, we had 7 living in it so it worked out at like $350 pm per person. It was a really big apartment, tons of space. So $750 for a studio in Sunnyside seems crazy. Seriously, rent in Queens is very cheap compared to Manhattan. You should be looking at paying no more than $400 pm per person in Queens. Like ot was said already, Woodside/Sunnyside are nice areas, and very close to Midtown Manhattan. In fact, you're probably closer to Midtown than many people who live in Manhattan.

Bar jobs would be tough to get in the city, but in an around Woodside and Sunnyside you probably stand a chance if you get in early. You will probably have to lie about how long you are intending to stay though.

The Doorman/Porter gig though is sweet. Tons of money, great people, and generally an easy job. Plus you'll be working in a really nice part of Manhattan and will get a real sense of what its like to be a New yorker.
Charlie is offline  
15-11-2007, 22:47   #18
Valmont
Registered User
 
Valmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Eboracum
Posts: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie mchugh View Post
The Doorman/Porter gig though is sweet. Tons of money, great people, and generally an easy job. Plus you'll be working in a really nice part of Manhattan and will get a real sense of what its like to be a New yorker.
Stupid question: Is a doorman like a bouncer or or you talking about helping people with their bags and things in a hotel?

I'm really interested in going to New York for the summer but unfortunately I only turn 21 half way through July!

Apart from bars what places are best to look for jobs? Hotels maybe?

Advice much appreciated
Valmont is offline  
16-11-2007, 10:12   #19
Third_Echelon
Registered User
 
Third_Echelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmont View Post
Stupid question: Is a doorman like a bouncer or or you talking about helping people with their bags and things in a hotel?

I'm really interested in going to New York for the summer but unfortunately I only turn 21 half way through July!

Apart from bars what places are best to look for jobs? Hotels maybe?

Advice much appreciated
A doorman in this context is more the helping people with their shopping and opening doors

Most apartment blocks in Manhattan have quite a big staff that run the building. A part of this staff is a 'front of house' team that opens doors, greets the tenants, helps them with shopping/deliveries etc.

Don't worry about your age. I wasn't 21 until the november, so I was 20 for the whole summer. No problem with bars etc. Very few places in NY ask for ID.
Third_Echelon is offline  
16-11-2007, 11:14   #20
Valmont
Registered User
 
Valmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Eboracum
Posts: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third_Echelon View Post
A doorman in this context is more the helping people with their shopping and opening doors

Most apartment blocks in Manhattan have quite a big staff that run the building. A part of this staff is a 'front of house' team that opens doors, greets the tenants, helps them with shopping/deliveries etc.

Don't worry about your age. I wasn't 21 until the november, so I was 20 for the whole summer. No problem with bars etc. Very few places in NY ask for ID.
That's good to know. The doorman job sounds handy enough alright. I'll have to scope out a few of the j1 job sites. Cheers
Valmont is offline  
Advertisement
19-11-2007, 15:48   #21
Charlie
Registered User
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,573
Funnily enough I didn't turn 21 until mid july either. In Queens, you'll be grand, never asked. Manhattan was a little different, but **cough, cough** just do what a 16yr old Irish teenager does when they need to get into clubs.

The doorman job was in an apartment building. Like I said, it was a great job, and the work was always easy, but this varied depending on the shift you did, e.g a Sunday evening shift will be busy because lots of people are coming back from their weekend away in the Hamptons, but this just means more tips. having said that, the most important aspect of the job is just getting to know people, and recognize faces so you stop the right people when entering the building. They (the board members of the building) are really anal about that, but you get the hang of it, and people understand why you might stop them and ask them where they are going.

p.s look up Rose Associates, schedule an interview with them. As long as you can pass a drugs test, you'll be sorted.
Charlie is offline  
20-11-2007, 18:50   #22
Valmont
Registered User
 
Valmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Eboracum
Posts: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie mchugh View Post
p.s look up Rose Associates, schedule an interview with them. As long as you can pass a drugs test, you'll be sorted.
a drugs test? seriously? Is that the norm for student visa jobs?
Valmont is offline  
20-11-2007, 18:54   #23
The_Dazzler
Registered User
 
The_Dazzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Free the Hyannis 22
Posts: 5,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmont View Post
a drugs test? seriously? Is that the norm for student visa jobs?
Afraid it is my friend.It is the norm for anybody entering a doorman/porter job.
The_Dazzler is offline  
20-11-2007, 21:21   #24
Blut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 379
A number of employers in other states do it too, Seaworld in California for instance.
Blut is offline  
Advertisement
22-11-2007, 13:05   #25
Valmont
Registered User
 
Valmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Eboracum
Posts: 4,976
clean living for me until the summer then!
Valmont is offline  
29-11-2007, 02:12   #26
witnessmenow
Moderator
 
witnessmenow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Athlone
Posts: 5,464
+1 for doorman job, it paid really well, and i was only on 80%. I worked in a small building though (24 appartments) so at the weekends it was unbelievably boring!
Tom Hanks lived in the building that i worked in! (seriously)

All bigish companies require you to take a drugs test ( i never took one for the second company i applied for, never got the time). The doorman jobs are incredibly picky with backround checks and such, 2 companies I applied for 100% had to check you social security (american one)number before employing.

I worked for the company "Gumly Haft, 415 madison avenue", maybe you could look them up and try get sorted before you get out there.

I lived on Katonah avenue , woodlawn, the bronx. Dont let the bronx part scare you its a real irish comunity. I got the link to my job off someone i randomly met in the shop!
witnessmenow is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet