Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Shear modulus from a 'torque-angle of twist' diagram

• 19-11-2007 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

I hope i'm posting this in the right thread

i have a question concerning torsion testing of a cylindrical shaft in relation to 'shear modulus'

i have incremental data in tabular form with which ive converted to a graph. i have torque (Nm) on the x-axis, and angle of twist (degrees) on the y-axis. ive been told i should be able to find the shear modulus from the elastic region of the curve, allthough all my research has yielded that i need to derive a stress-strain curve for shear modulus.

can anyone please tell me how i find shear modulus from a torque-angle of twist diagram

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I hope i'm posting this in the right thread

i have a question concerning torsion testing of a cylindrical shaft in relation to 'shear modulus'

i have incremental data in tabular form with which ive converted to a graph. i have torque (Nm) on the x-axis, and angle of twist (degrees) on the y-axis. ive been told i should be able to find the shear modulus from the elastic region of the curve, allthough all my research has yielded that i need to derive a stress-strain curve for shear modulus.

can anyone please tell me how i find shear modulus from a torque-angle of twist diagram

Yeah you picked the right place to post.

Shear Modulus = Stress/Strain

For the Stress you must use the applied load to and the dimensions of the bar. Im not sure whether it is a solid bar or not. For a cylinder with inside and outside diameter i think the equation for stress is:

Stress = (Force)/(pi*OD*ID)

Where OD and ID are the inside and outside diameter of the tube.

Strain is just a change in angle relative to the length so strain is given by:

Strain = (radius*angle)/length

Need to do this for each of the data points you have. This will then allow you to produce a stress-strain graph. On the stress-strain graph the modulus is the slope of the elastic region (straight line).

I am assuming the bar is a tube so correct me if i am wrong but you should be able to alter these if not.

I think these are right but somebody let me know if I am wrong.

Will that help?

Advertisement