NCT Spare Wheel Question - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-03-2007, 11:44   #1
gary the great
Closed Account

NCT Spare Wheel Question

Do you actually need a spare wheel for your NCT? I think i read you dont have to have one?

I currently dont have one but plan on getting one next week, but the NCT is this week?

Is it essential to have one for the NCT?
Advertisement
26-03-2007, 11:47   #2
$Leon$

Some cars don't come with them any more.
26-03-2007, 11:47   #3
parsi
Banned

Send a message via MSN to parsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary the great
Do you actually need a spare wheel for your NCT? I think i read you dont have to have one?

I currently dont have one but plan on getting one next week, but the NCT is this week?

Is it essential to have one for the NCT?
Yes. http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##3
26-03-2007, 11:51   #4
poppers

I go a puntcure on the way to do the NCT. I said nothing about changing the wheel and Passed the nct so i dont know if they even looked at the spare.
26-03-2007, 12:50   #5
gary the great
Closed Account

Ye i hear a lot of new cars dont come with a spare wheel hence my thinking that i may not need to get one this week
Advertisement
26-03-2007, 12:56   #6
testicle

I would suspect that you need run flats to get away with no spare wheel though.
26-03-2007, 14:00   #7
BrianD3

Spare wheel not needed for the NCT unless it's a taxi.

Spare wheel well/holder will be examined if present.

If the spare itself is present they may examine it for legality although I'm not sure about that.

I always take the spare out before NCT test to save weight for the brake efficiency test.
26-03-2007, 14:33   #8
gary the great
Closed Account

Excellant thats the answer i wanted to hear.
26-03-2007, 14:34   #9
tc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD3
I always take the spare out before NCT test to save weight for the brake efficiency test.
2 questions for you BrianD3 -
what if you get a puncture on the way to/from NCT centre?

and, more importantly, during normal driving i would take it that you carry the spare. So, what if your car needs attention to the brakes, is that extra 20kg gonna make much difference?
Just curious as to why you would do this.

I would have thought (tho' im open to correction) that if the vehicle is fitted with a spare tyre, it must be present for the test. Im aware certain newer cars have run-flats (new MINI for one) and no spare. Similarly, cars which did not have rear seatbelts fitted when manufactured/rear fog lamps etc
Advertisement
26-03-2007, 14:59   #10
BrianD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc20
2 questions for you BrianD3 -
what if you get a puncture on the way to/from NCT centre?
That's a chance you take. If you take out the spare for 1 day every 2 years you'd be pretty unlucky to get a puncture on that very day.
Quote:
and, more importantly, during normal driving i would take it that you carry the spare. So, what if your car needs attention to the brakes, is that extra 20kg gonna make much difference?
Just curious as to why you would do this.
I have brought cars to the NCT which had brake efficiency around 59-60% which isn't that much above the 55% limit. The parking brake limit is 16% and again some cars can be marginal on this. If the NCTS do indeed use the measured weight for the brake calculation (and I'm not certain if they do) then a light car with no spare, a near empty fuel tank and a slim NCT tester could pass the test when a more laden car would fail. BTW I am not advocating people driving around with dangerous brakes just putting this info out there. I wouldn't consider a car that has failed the NCT parking brake test by 1% as being dangerous anyway.
Quote:
I would have thought (tho' im open to correction) that if the vehicle is fitted with a spare tyre, it must be present for the test. Im aware certain newer cars have run-flats (new MINI for one) and no spare. Similarly, cars which did not have rear seatbelts fitted when manufactured/rear fog lamps etc
I'm 100% sure that the spare is not being needed even in cars that originally did have one and don't have runflats. Reversing lights and foglights are also not part of the test even if originally fitted and subsequently broken.

Last edited by BrianD3; 26-03-2007 at 15:02.
26-03-2007, 16:16   #11
tc20

@ BrianD3 - ok, cool.
I guess a lot of us have scraped thru NCTs, or have bemoaned the fact that we failed by the slightest margin. Its upto the individual to take remedial action if the car just scrapes through - similarly with the ludicrously low legal tyre thread depth of 1.6mm. Personally i wouldnt let my tyres get anywhere near that low.
Interesting that you mention reverse & foglights not being tested - an oversight by the powers that be?
26-03-2007, 23:36   #12
Wishbone Ash

A spare wheel is not a mandatory requirement in Ireland under Road Traffic Regulations (for private cars).

If you submit your car for an NCT with a spare wheel they will check it for quality, thread depth etc.

If you remove it beforehand, it does not form part of the test.

I'm open to correction on this but I think that if your car has an underbody sparewheel cradle, they check the cradle to make sure it's secure.
27-03-2007, 00:01   #13
kbannon

Have a look at page 56 /section 40 of the NCT manual (http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf) - there is no reference to the quality of the spare wheel/tyre
27-03-2007, 22:02   #14
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbannon
Have a look at page 56 /section 40 of the NCT manual (http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf) - there is no reference to the quality of the spare wheel/tyre
Yes, you're correct kbannon although, in Section 36, it does say that the owner should be advised if there is a defect on the spare tyre.

TYRE CONDITION

Method of Testing

1. Check whether the tyre tread appears to have been recut.
2. Check visually that the tyre is correctly seated on the wheel rim.
3. Examine the tyre for:
(a) any cut or break in the fabric.
(b) any lump or bulge.
(c) any exposure of the ply or cord structure.
4. Examine the valve stem for distortion or chafing.
NOTES:
(a) It will not always be possible to see the complete tyre from ground level, especially on vehicles where the body
shrouds part of the tyre. In such cases the vehicle should be moved to expose the hidden parts of tyres, or the
examination should be completed from a position under the vehicle with the wheel in the raised position.
(b) Examination is confined to tyres fitted to the road wheels.
If, however, any defect on a tyre carried on a spare wheel is seen, the driver should be advised.
(c) Tyres designed for recutting or regrooving will normally be marked as regroovable.
(d) The evidence of any tyre wear or damage in the full lock and full suspension bounce conditions should be noted
when making the ratings above (see also reason for failure No. 29 page 61).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion