Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

McDonalds

• 22-12-2006 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to highlight what I thought to be very good customer service after making a complaint.

Went to my local McDs this morning to get myself some breakfast.

Was served by, without doubt, the rudest employee I have ever had to deal with in a restaurant. Made a balls of my order, barked something at me when I pointed out his mistake and I think if he smiled, his face would have cracked.

I started the day in great form - last working day before the holidays and ended up in such bad form that I emailed McDs head office and told them my tale of woe. Was not expecting any reply as it was sent to the generic info@ mail acount.

Within 2 minutes of sending the email, I had a return reply...A phone call from the area supervisor within 5 minutes and a call from the restaurant manager within 10 minutes. All were very apologetic and thanked me for highlighting the problem.

Well done McDonalds...now if only some of the other companies mention in this section of boards.ie were so quick to respond to us customers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

... and now someone is unemployed for Christmas! :)

Fair play to McD's, though... thats good customer service.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thats a very good response indeed. Oh, you also made me hungry :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

TmB wrote:
    Fair play to McD's, though... thats good customer service.
    If I had to name one outfit that gets customer service right in this coutry, it would be McDonalds.

However, I think the reason for it is a little bit more sinister than you'd imagine.

The fast-food industry globally is on a hiding-to-nothing for many reasons, primarily health. They really have to pack-in the 'value-added' to make people want to come back.

If McD's, BurgerKing et al really did care about their customers, then they'd make the calorific value of their products available in-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

If McD's, BurgerKing et al really did care about their customers, then they'd make the calorific value of their products available in-store.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up with a McDs in another country but I thought they had that info on the back of the sheets of paper they put on the trays, and on leaflets in store. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's very good of McDonalds.

I was hassled one day on the street by one particular chugger, so I emailed the charity through their website, and I received a very apologetic email.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Maybe I'm getting mixed up with a McDs in another country but I thought they had that info on the back of the sheets of paper they put on the trays, and on leaflets in store. Anyone know?

They have it in Ireland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Given that they do, what does that say about whether they care about their customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If I had to name one outfit that gets customer service right in this coutry, it would be McDonalds.

However, I think the reason for it is a little bit more sinister than you'd imagine.

The fast-food industry globally is on a hiding-to-nothing for many reasons, primarily health. They really have to pack-in the 'value-added' to make people want to come back.

Those leaflets have been available for years in McD. They even did an ad spoofing investigate journalism on this very point.

Not sure here but in US they're on back of place mats for several years. Helped me workourt my 3000 one sitting meal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Fair play to McDonalds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Botswana

Isn't is sad that we're shocked by good customer service? Every business should be like this. It's a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Agreed Botswana.

To be fair, what surprised me most was that I had emailed a generic email address (from their website) the day that most companies were closing up for Christmas and yet, I still got a prompt reply.

I do wish however that more people would use this section of boards to highlight good customer service as do bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Botswana wrote:
    Isn't is sad that we're shocked by good customer service? Every business should be like this. It's a no brainer.

You pay peanuts Botswana, you get monkeys. I work as a Manager for my company, and I understand Customer Service, because a) I've been at it for ages and b) My company invests heavily in training and promoting the Customer as our wage payers.

Most fast food restaurants, and retail stores employ people who might have started at most up to a year ago, with very basic pay, and no training, and yet we expect the same level of ass kissing as if we were dropping 50k on a new Lexus. Go fig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Botswana

But even naturally, like if someone complains about something, I naturally apologise and want to make them happy.

Is this not a normal human reaction??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not when you hate your job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Fair play to McD's. Now that we know that they have a heart, help sick children and dont eat there own young we can all go and buy 200,000 Big Mc's. Hurahhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭11.3 SECONDS

I know people think that they are creating business for it in the long term but would we not be better off if McDonalds took over the running of the Irish public health system as well as care for the elderly ???

People in A & E could get a special McTrolley meal while waiting for the doctor. People waiting for a trolley might get a McBack of an ambulance meal in the car park. You might get a McGeriatric in a home. The possibilities are just endless.......

They just could not make a bigger pudding of it than the current crew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I thought they had that info on the back of the sheets of paper they put on the trays, and on leaflets in store. Anyone know?
    Not only on the leaflets, but on each individual food carton also.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ned78 wrote:
    Most fast food restaurants, and retail stores employ people who might have started at most up to a year ago, with very basic pay, and no training, and yet we expect the same level of ass kissing as if we were dropping 50k on a new Lexus. Go fig.

My mate left his job in the shop we were working in selling electronics and went straigh to a job in a merc showroom, dont think just because you are spending a lot of money your suddenly getting to deal with the cream of upper class salespeople (not directed at my mate, in case he's reading this :) ). The money might be better but it's the same guy. He was agood, friendly sales guy when earnign not much more thanminimum wage. I think a lot of it is down to attitudes pf the person rather than the money they earn. I've walked out of showrooms a good few times as a result of arrogant salespeople.

I know people think that they are creating business for it in the long term but would we not be better off if McDonalds took over the running of the Irish public health system as well as care for the elderly ???

People in A & E could get a special McTrolley meal while waiting for the doctor. People waiting for a trolley might get a McBack of an ambulance meal in the car park. You might get a McGeriatric in a home. The possibilities are just endless.......

They just could not make a bigger pudding of it than the current crew :)

Jokign aside though, the health service is never going to be run as a profit making organisation, so it wouldnt really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Another nice story about McD's here:

http://conoroneill.com/2007/01/06/thank-you-dave/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

So they are only friendly to me because they want to sell me something?
    DOOOOH!!!!
    Other companies want to sell me their products also but employ rude, obnoxious staff.
    Now where's the logic in your comment?

E.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Colm_Corcaigh

I read on some other thread that all discussion about McDonald's is discouraged (or banned?) because of some legal proceedings....
    Why is that?

Another case of corporate censorship?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

That refers to another company that has similar initials, but is in no way connected to McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I read on some other thread that all discussion about McDonald's is discouraged (or banned?) because of some legal proceedings....
    Why is that?

Another case of corporate censorship?
    mcd is not mc donalds and where you saw it is the top of every forum on boards

Advertisement