Cold Weather Setting Off House Alarm - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-03-2006, 16:23   #1
Clum

Cold Weather Setting Off House Alarm

Has anybody experienced this before...

Last night (the coldest night in Ireland for 10 years they say) my house alarm went off at 3.55am and scared the bejayzis out of me! The same thing happened over Christmas when the temperatures fell to -4 or -5 one night.

According to the log my front door was opened although this wasn't true...I checked...and double checked...then checked every other door and window in the house and rechecked my front door...and didn't sleep very well after that (damn paranoia!).

Is it possible that very cold temperatures can affect my house alarm? I don't have motion sensors, just connectors on the doors and windows.

Thanks.
Advertisement
03-03-2006, 16:56   #2
Spocker

Same thing happened to me during the cold snap recently. What set mine off (around 4.30 ish) was the tamper switch on the bell box. I had an idea that it was just the cold weather was breaking the contact so got my local alarm buddy to bend the contact further to make sure it wouldn't happen again, but it did, a couple of nights later.

In the end, the installer replaced the bell box and it hasen't happened since (fingers crossed!). One other suggestion from my alarm buddy though was that it could have been mice chewing on my cable in the attic - I put down traps and not a sniff. That wouldn't be it in your case though, seeing as its on the door and the cables hidden.

I would try and get the sensor on the door replaced, it isn't a big job, probably no more than 30 minutes.
03-03-2006, 17:10   #3
Clum

Thanks, Doc.

I'll look in to it, there's obviously something suspect in the whole set up.
03-03-2006, 22:41   #4
fred funk }{

heat expands and cold retracts. If there is a bad connection somewhere the weather can play a big part in false alarms. Get you front door sensor/contact checked and you'll find its a bit dicky
03-03-2006, 22:48   #5
Litcagral

Anyone know why my alarm activates on Halloween night. Do fireworks cause enough vibrations to activate alarm? We normally go away for a few hours as we cannot bear all that trick and treat shít etc. but alarm is usually sounding when we return.
Advertisement
04-03-2006, 16:22   #6
johnnyrotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcagral
Do fireworks cause enough vibrations to activate alarm? .
Eh, Yes
04-03-2006, 16:48   #7
delly
Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcagral
Anyone know why my alarm activates on Halloween night. Do fireworks cause enough vibrations to activate alarm? We normally go away for a few hours as we cannot bear all that trick and treat shít etc. but alarm is usually sounding when we return.
I'd be worried if it didn't

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion