Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NTL Dublin HDTV Plans

Options
  • 12-10-2005 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭

What if any plans do NTL Dublin have to supply the new Sky HDTV channels
    in full resolution to customers. How much bandwidth is left in the NTL network for this functionality? Initially Sky are going to broadcast a couple of sports channels, a couple of movie channels and Sky One in HD. Also the BBC are going HD on all of their entertainment channels.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm sure they will move to HD at some stage, however it will likely be well after Sky goes HD, probably not for at least 2 years. There really isn't that much demand for HD at the moment.

In terms of bandwidth, it looks like the NTL network currently goes up to 550Mhz (I'm sure it is higher in newer areas), they would probably need to upgrade all of the network to 750 - 850 Mhz or else shut down the Analogue service (unlikely) to make room for HD.

They would also need to move to MPEG4 (not a bad thing) and send new MPEG4 decoder boxes to customers. So it would be a major undertaking. I'd say BB and VoIP services are of a higher priority at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

What compression do they currently use if not Mpeg4?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulm17781 wrote:
    What compression do they currently use if not Mpeg4?

AFAIK MPEG2 at the moment, same as DVD, but definitely not the same bitrates as DVD.

BTW MPEG4 is actually a standard and it actually includes lots of different things such as streaming protocols, audio codecs, video codecs, etc.

MPEG4 actually defines two different video codecs, MPEG4 Part 2 is used in Divx and Xvid, MPEG4 Part 10 is Advanced Video Coding (H.264) which is one of the two codecs (the other being Microsofts VC-1 codec) to be used in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

apparently UPC are rolling HD out across its networks on the continent next year so who knows what will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I suppose the only HDTV option is the Sky box in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yes, looking that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 frankdrebin

Guys

You seem to know what you are talking about there. I have a slightly legal question. I live in an apartment and have NTL. However, I also have a 37 inch LCD HD TV and want to watch the Premiership in HD. The gimps at NTL have said I cannot get the HD but expect to roll it our in 6 to 12 months (yeah right).

I want to switch to SKY but there is a clause in my lease that says satellite dishes are not permitted. Is there any way around this? The fact that this is in my lease means that I HAVE to chose NTL. Is this anti-competitive?

Any comments appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

there was a guy from UPC on the Newstalk 'Down to Business' show who said they are currently developing a HD set top box but didn't give specifics.
    Strikes me that all the people who buy HDTVs with their SSIA money will switch to Sky if UPC don't get their ass in gear, hope the new box is also a PVR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

...but from what I see most people buying these big LCD TVs don't even realise they need Sky HD (or similar) to get the most out of it! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement