Running Diesel cars on Vegatable Oil? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-08-2005, 15:56   #1
trap4
Banned

Running Diesel cars on Vegatable Oil?

A friend of mine told me yesterday that a friend of his showed up at his house last week driving a '92 diesel car which he was running on vegetable oil. He said he was buying the vegetable oil in Lidl and using it without having converted his engine in any way. Unfortuantely my friend didn't get any more specifics, like make of car, how long he'd been doing it, etc.

Now I thought this was pure BS when I heard it but having Googled around the net today I've found lots of websites talking about how to do it. But not knowing anything about the mechanical side of motor cars I can't tell how authentic these sites are.

So, my question is, has anyone else tried or known someone who tried this? Does it really work?
Advertisement
03-08-2005, 16:09   #2
Lenny
Tallaght Scumbag

Send a message via MSN to Lenny
Saw this on the news
you have to mix the oil with deisal, because the oil is thick because its not hot(needs to be 180 to be fully liquid) but that would burn the pipes out, so it has to be mixed more deisal than oil,
Can't give much on what type of specs of cars
03-08-2005, 17:13   #3
air

The car wont last long without an inline pre heater or a two tank system.
Most diesels can be converted, VW's and Merc's are especially easy.
Conversion kits are available.
Check out the following for further information:
http://www.eilishoils.com/
http://www.greasel.com/
http://www.journeytoforever.org/

Your buddy or whatever also needs to pay a few cent per litre to Brian to keep things cosher.
03-08-2005, 17:16   #4
Fingalian

Howdy,
Check out http://www.eilishoils.com/
It should answer all your questions.
03-08-2005, 17:17   #5
StonedParadoX

Send a message via ICQ to StonedParadoX
trap4 if your really serious about converting your car to veggie oil
leave me a msg and ill give u my dads home number he owns eilish oils

he runs his car on veggie oil he owns a small business and has some converted trucks and cars with the Cork county council
Advertisement
03-08-2005, 21:00   #6
kestrel

oh this is brilliant! i didnt know you could do that! i've been putting off learning to drive because i feel guilty about the fumes.

is vegetable oil better for the environment? if so, by how much in comparision to unleaded, leaded and diesel? i'm so happy
03-08-2005, 21:17   #7
Sarsfield

RTE TV news has just this minute done a short piece on new tax breaks for bio-fuels.

Good timing!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0803/biofuels.html
03-08-2005, 21:28   #8
StonedParadoX

dude its tax free too

yeah its much better for the enviorment it doesnt harm it ( i think ) best check the website or basically not ask me cuz im not all that clued in i should be though he runs the damned thing *sigh* this sounds so fake
04-08-2005, 02:00   #9
xonencentral

My quick input,

Rudolf Diesel invented the diesel engine to run on vegatable oil for African country's to support crop production; SVO, (Solid Vegatable Oil) staright into the tank. Africa was warm enough not to have to heat it. They would grow 90% of their crops and 10% new rapeseed, etc to run the water pump with bio-diesel.

He was a genius of magnitude proportions.....

He was on his way to sell his engine to the UK in 1913 when he was asassinated. (He was German)

Go down to your local garage and buy a new diesel car, buy 20 bottles of crisp and dry, pour them into the tank and drive home.

Option 2: It gets cold, hmmm, must remove the wax (glycerine) from the vegatable oil (SVO) and I'm left with bio-diesel. (THats the bio-diesel production process, can be done at home with used chip fat oil), I'm not gonig to explain it here.

You can use 100% bio-deisel or mix it. In France all Diesel is 5% bio diesel at the pumps. (95% petro diesel/5%bio-diesel and there are going to 50/50)

The only thing you need to watch out for is that bio-diesel acts like a solvent, a lot of people have bad experiences when they first use it.

When you put bio-diesel into a car normally running petro-diesel, it cleans down the tank, fuel lines , etc of all contaminants and they clog the filter so you need a couple of filters for the first 3-4 weeks. A lot of people brake down after conversion but its not what they think.

Sorry for my butting in, but this is a subject I have researched for over 5 years now.
Advertisement
04-08-2005, 09:14   #10
air

How would this effect a home user that wants to filter his/her own svo and/or home brew biodiesel?
Is it a carte blanche to work away & use it without fear of repercussions from the revenue should they pulll you over?

Also xone, AFAIK S.V.O. stands for straight vegetable oil, meant to distinguish it from processed vegetable oil (i.e. biodiesel).
04-08-2005, 09:35   #11
StonedParadoX

"The only thing you need to watch out for is that bio-diesel acts like a solvent, a lot of people have bad experiences when they first use it.

When you put bio-diesel into a car normally running petro-diesel, it cleans down the tank, fuel lines , etc of all contaminants and they clog the filter so you need a couple of filters for the first 3-4 weeks. A lot of people brake down after conversion but its not what they think."

so right man
04-08-2005, 09:43   #12
xonencentral

Sorry about the typo on SVO, (It was late) and we have something at work which is close.

Yes, as long as you don't transfer ownership to anyone else of your bio-diesel, chuck it in your car and work away.
04-08-2005, 09:57   #13
air

http://www.revenue.ie/services/tax_i...ate/T01249.htm
Looks good to me
04-08-2005, 11:53   #14
trap4
Banned

Wow, I can't believe my timing - I had no scoop on the Goverment announcement!

xonencentral would you be able to explain the process of producing your own bio-diesel at home? Or if its something you've been working on for 5 years perhaps you're going to starting a business around the ideas?

So, AFAICS, its a choice between -

1) SVO with an engine conversion, and
2) Biodiesel with no conversion

which means that my friend's friend is going to run into trouble during the cold of winter for sure, right?

Thanks for all the input on this topic. I'm completely new to all this and find it absolutely fascinating
04-08-2005, 12:40   #15
air

You're friends will see problems much earlier than the winter, svo needs to be heated to 80-90 degrees C for any sort of modern engine.
My own preference would be for SVO with the engine conversion unless you like to change your car regularly.
Less hassle / equipment needed, all you need to do is filter it, let the engine pre heat & away you go.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion